Mythbusters - WTH man? No Tori, Grant, or Kari?

Re: Adam, please explain..

You don't actually expect Adam to give an explanation here do you? I would just keep it as it was announced and even though we are fans of the show he doesn't owe us any thing. Maybe I misunderstand the OP title but it just seemed rude especially when I read it. I know tone is difficult to understand over the internet. If I misunderstood please accept my apology. I'm sure more stuff will come to light as things move on. Change happens all the time. Just be happy the show has gone this long with the cast.

Expect an answer? No, not at all. I was just hoping that IF he could shed more light on the reason why the change. I understand fully when shows change formats due to various reasons. I was simply curious that's all. Never intended to be rude just stunned by the sudden ending..

Jeff

Haven't watched the show in ages although loved it back in the day. My best guess is that it has little to do with content or anything like that, and has more to do with ratings. I'll bet ratings aren't as good as they used to be (meaning the show makes less money) and the overhead of having two teams was too much to justify. Just one of those realities of the biz, cancel the show or trim things.

The show has had a good long run in this format. Longer than most! All three should be walking away from it with their heads held high. It was a great gig, now on to new adventures.

I could understand that as it did come across as a shock. Again tone is the hardest things to convey over an internet forum so I apologize that I misunderstood.

Expect an answer? No, not at all. I was just hoping that IF he could shed more light on the reason why the change. I understand fully when shows change formats due to various reasons. I was simply curious that's all. Never intended to be rude just stunned by the sudden ending..

Jeff

Yeah thats the one I was thinking of. Lost interest in Mythbusters not long after she left. Though have watched the odd episode since, and of the 3, I found Grant too be the best to watch. The other 2 not so much. So with the 3 leaving maybe it'll get interesting again. Even more so if Scotty comes back!!

I watched last nights Mythbusters and they said Grant, Tori, and Kari are not returning because they wanted to go in a new direction. WTH? Has anyone heard why they are booting them?

Do people actually remember the first series of Mythbusters fondly?

They spent half the time rummaging though junkyards and charity shops looking for cheap or free stuff to experiment with, and then you had that female "myth expert" who would explain where the myth came from.

Or is all we really remember "Am I missing an eyebrow?" and "I like it in here, its private"

The show definitely improved from those earlier episodes, but those aren't parts of the show that will be included in the return to their earlier format. That myth expert was dropped pretty early on once the hosts were able to cover that themselves (have you seen Jamie in those early episodes? He's come a long way), and Mythbusters is big enough now that they don't need to forage for scraps and get given free cars for experiments. Those early episodes were shot when nobody knew who the Mythbusters were, and it was not the proven popular show it is now. They're returning to the format of 2 hosts testing a myth with a more hands-on approach, but they still retain all that they've accomplished since then.

But the thing that I did miss from those early episodes is the extra time to show the practical side of the experiments, and to further explain the science aspect of the experiment, rather than an excuse for explosions. As these are things they're going to focus on again, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

This is certainly upsetting, but let's not overreact. It's been ten years of our favorite show. 10 years is a LONG time, much longer than most shows can even dream of lasting. Did you expect it to go forever?
But I guess that's the real problem here, isn't it - the show's not over, it's just missing people. That is depressing.
Personally I think they may have been better off cancelling altogether rather than downsizing.

Do people actually remember the first series of Mythbusters fondly?

They spent half the time rummaging though junkyards and charity shops looking for cheap or free stuff to experiment with, and then you had that female "myth expert" who would explain where the myth came from.

Or is all we really remember "Am I missing an eyebrow?" and "I like it in here, its private"

+1. I watched through all the Mythbusters on Netflix a while back, and, because Netflix is crappy, some of the season 1 episodes were mixed in and labeled as being seasons 3 and 4. Whenever a season 1 show would come on it was like a night and day difference.
And that lady was an idiot.

I have found myself watching the last couple of seasons on fast forward, slowing down for something interesting. Many of the myths lately have been....meh.

I do like the B team and will miss them but look forward to seeing what the new episodes will look like.

The show definitely improved from those earlier episodes, but those aren't parts of the show that will be included in the return to their earlier format. That myth expert was dropped pretty early on once the hosts were able to cover that themselves (have you seen Jamie in those early episodes? He's come a long way), and Mythbusters is big enough now that they don't need to forage for scraps and get given free cars for experiments. Those early episodes were shot when nobody knew who the Mythbusters were, and it was not the proven popular show it is now. They're returning to the format of 2 hosts testing a myth with a more hands-on approach, but they still retain all that they've accomplished since then.

But the thing that I did miss from those early episodes is the extra time to show the practical side of the experiments, and to further explain the science aspect of the experiment, rather than an excuse for explosions. As these are things they're going to focus on again, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

This I can agree with.

I personally think the show got too " 'Murican " and concentrated too much on the "ooo shiny" factor and explosions and such, and not enough on the science. Granted, that's the way all of Discovery Network's channels seem to be going.

I'm sure the B Team could have cranked up the science factor had they been asked. Personally, I thought the last series was really strong, still plenty of life in the show. Tori. Grant and Kari seem like great people and it has that sort of effect where you almost feel like they're friends. I think that maybe someone behind the scenes underestimated this effect, as people seem genuinely gutted that these guys have seemingly been cut, and not just here in forumland.

Mythbusters is a really important show IMO, for a bunch of reasons. Again, losing these guys is a real shame.

I personally think the show got too " 'Murican " and concentrated too much on the "ooo shiny" factor and explosions and such, and not enough on the science. Granted, that's the way all of Discovery Network's channels seem to be going.

Well if plowing an armored dump truck fitted with a massive cow catcher into a line of cars is too American then you can all go to you know where! :lol ;) ;)

I think Discovery didn't want to pay anymore people then they have to so that's why they got off the show. No doubt Discovery or a sister channel will use the money for another redneck/white trash reality show. Or to feed Honey booboo for a week, one of the two. Those three had their own fanbases and that's going to cost ratings with them gone. Kari had folks into smart redheads and Grant had the robot nerd group.

I don't know for sure, but it would stand to reason that there would be a big savings in production staff as well. My guess is there were production folks who would primarily work on the B-team segments, from producers and writers to shooting crew, etc, that might no longer be needed.

I loved MythBusters when it started...then they ran out of Myths:behave...
I'd bet even money that this is the real reason for the change regardless of what anyone says. They've been doing this for 10 years now, and they're running out of decent myths to explore. By cutting back to having only Adam and Jamie perform the experiments they can fill each episode with fewer myths but more detail, and make the few decent myths they still have last longer. That said, I'll be surprised if the show lasts another two seasons.

All 5 of the hosts have been on more-or-less radio silence since Friday. Adam had been posting daily blogs about the 'Behind the Myths' tour in Australia but I haven't seen a new one in days. Kari, Grant and Tory are just popping in on twitter to thank fans for all the support.

If you google the story all the news outlets don't know any more than we do. Discovery has commented but only to thank the departing crew for all their hard work, no actual facts or reasons. I think all involved are going to lay-low until the dust settles to say anything.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back