The glob of grease.

SaturdayMorning

attachment.php

New weekend project.

a droid. the PSI that turns from red to blue is the small bottom one, the bigger one next to it is the hole for the holoprojector and the top one is the hole for the radar eye lens so he can put a camera in it. :D (threepio calls R2 an "overweight glob of grease" in New Hope.)

Awwww! You stole my thunder!

I had my motor mounts made out of acrylic in my droid as well... until they shattered on R2's second or third outing, as I drove him over not entirely smooth (but workable) ground. Changed them to aluminium. Just some food for thought.

Agreed, no way plastic will hold up on a full size R2, but I can't tell the scale of this project. If, say half size or smaller, it might be okay.

Doug

Looks like Lexan (yes polycarbonate). It won't crack but it will flex (a lot) and any glue joints will fail. The flexing will put stress on the fastened joints as well. Lexan by its nature is soft as well (that's what makes it good as bullet resistant glass -- flexible and soft) and any stress on bolt holes will eventually elongate and pull free unless using locktite and large washers. If you will be taking R2 out of the house I'd recommend alum drive frame not only because of (very likely) failures but public safety. If using to move around a little in the house only, you could get away with it. Even my aluminum drive needs periodic maintenance to keep it together -- in fact I'm needing to reattach a gear (chain drive) that came free on my left foot drive last week.

That said keep plugging away and keep us posted -- love R2 builds.

Doug

From the look of those covers this isn't a normal astromech,
care to comment on what you have in mind? concept? early design? question mark?

This is the most unique R2 scratch build drive system I've ever seen :)

Looks fantastic on display & I love the old fashioned graphics you're posting!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back