SS Star destroyer

talktalk

Hi,has anyone ever scratchbuilt a SS Star destroyer,i bet that would be awesome,anyone have any pictures of their models?.

Cheers,

Rob.

There have been a couple of the ANH 3 footers built.. but I think that they were both by the same guy... I have never heard of anyone tackling the 8 footer fron ESB. It would be a cool project for somewone with a TON of extra room to do ;)

Jedi Dade

There's a rumor flying around that MR may be considering doing one. I believe (if I recall correctly) that they are in the process of receiving one the SDs used in the films, and are looking at their options. I can only imagine the large cost and size - unless MR does a scaled down version like the Snowspeeder.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talktalk @ Mar 13 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]1438896[/snapback]</div>
Hi,has anyone ever scratchbuilt a SS Star destroyer,i bet that would be awesome,anyone have any pictures of their models?.

Cheers,

Rob.
[/b]

I think some guys built one a long, long time ago...they even used it in a movie if memory serves.
Now what was that flick called...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Mar 19 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]1443134[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talktalk @ Mar 13 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]1438896[/snapback]

Cheers,

Rob.
[/b]

I think some guys built one a long, long time ago...they even used it in a movie if memory serves.
[/b][/quote]

5-25-77 :)

That would be Rick Ingalsbe. That you Rick? ;)

Anyway,.. one of his beaties is on tour and I think a second (more detailed) was used in the stated 5-25-77.

Many have built up these beasties and most never get completed due to the fine details just burning out the builder. I would enjoy seeing at least the 3 footer offered to the public at some point soon. ;)

Julien (Tox) has one of the most BEAUTIFUL scratchbuilds of this beastie in the works which measures in at approx 41 inches. I hope to see that when I see you in a few months J. :D

If MR does a 3 footer,.. I hope they handle things a bit better than they did with the 1701. I simply require honest and reliable info, not their CS "wag the dog" and "pointing the finger of blame to anyone they could" approach.

That said,.. I would welcome a 3 footer from them if they fixed the above fiasco.

Of one thing I have a passion for in SW..... it's the Star Destroyer... :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ringa @ Mar 19 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]1443264[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Mar 19 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]1443134[/snapback]
[/b]

5-25-77 :)
[/b][/quote]

Actually I was thinking of A New Hope.

B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodaman @ Mar 15 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1440679[/snapback]</div>
There's a rumor flying around that MR may be considering doing one.[/b]

It will be a day long remembered... this is only 2ft long.

The MR Star Destroyer is already sold as far as I'm concerned.

sdcase.jpg

:love

WOW.....Beautiful SD.

I hope MR does do one....I'm waffling a bit on their Falcon, but a SD would be a must have for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kuhn Global @ Mar 19 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1443284[/snapback]</div>
That would be Rick Ingalsbe. That you Rick? ;)[/b]

Kurt. What's up, my friend?

Both of my Star Destroyers were based on the ANH version, which was my favorite. The first one was used in 5-25-77, while the second, more detailed one is still on tour with "Action. An Adventure in Movie Making."

It seems at the time I was building my replicas no one was attempting Star Destroyers. But, since then there have been a few, like the ones mentioned in this thread that are absolutely SPECTACULAR...

For those who would like to see photos of the model in the museum, or if you would like to learn more about 5-25-77 from behind the scenes, you can visit my website at www.RickIngalsbeStudio.com

I build the fibre optic kit that was around a while back but my nephew crashed into it and then flipping stepped on it.

Very very very sad day. When he's old enough, I'm gonna smash him. LOL

Certainly blew mine when it went for as much as it did. :) I loved the thing but it had to go. No regrets, I just hope MR will fill the void...

My guess - MR will do it studio scale. I saw the real one here in LA and it's not that much larger than their Falcon. I was surprised how small it was actually.

They have the Falcon under there belt...why not.

Estimated price $2000 - easier to paint than the Falcon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormy320 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1443796[/snapback]</div>
Estimated price $2000 - easier to paint than the Falcon.
[/b]

True, but the lights would be more complicated.

Wow,alot of great responses,I hope MR will make one,It seems a very complicated task to scratch build one,I just hope MR gets it right,can you imagine a 3 footer all lit up in your home...mmm,I'm gonna take a cold shower.. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Mar 20 2007, 12:50 AM) [snapback]1443801[/snapback]</div>
he lights would be more complicated.
[/b]

The 3 footer doesn't have window lights, so it wouldn't be very complicated at all.

I forgot to add, when I did mine, be sure to split up the fibre optics and get a few blue LEDS as well as plain white ones.

Plus, rather than the standard fibre optic through a hole idea, I also added some 'bay' like windows too.
Easy to do. Make a very thin strip of perspex etc and carefully cut/file a few slots out of the hull. Glue the fibre optic flat onto the strip to shine light across the face of your clear/tinted strip, not through it.
Glue the optic away from your hull slot and add a few to each side for bigger windows. Sometimes it didn't work well (wrong angle etc) so put epoxy all over the clear strip to trap the light on the strip.

Very very fiddly to add these but adds a well cool bit of 'spacelike' ear to the whole ship :)

I did experiment with chocolate wrappers to get different light but just scrubbed that and stuck to white and blue.

Good luck with this dude. You've given me the bug again now.

I over did it a bit so know when to stop

A 3 foot version of the 8 footer... since that is the SD we see the most throughout the movies as "the" SD, would be awesome.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back