Alternative to pvc pipe ?

robotboy

Ok so ive been commissioned to make the gun seen below but the problem is this thing is gonna be 19" long and im making the body out of insulation foam i wanted to make the barrel out of pvc but the thing is pvc gets to heavy so are there any lighter alternatives? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408714965.920080.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin wall, clear acrylic tubing? You can get it just about any size you need from a plastics supplier like TAP plastics.

I've seen large diameter styrene tube but I don't know specifically where off the top of my head. Google it (in fact I think I'm goung to do that anyway for future ref)

By foam, do you mean soft foam or rigid pink or blue construction foam?

If soft foam, you could use large-diameter pipe insulation but I dunno about how well it would take paint. Maybe you could coat it with adhesive-backed vinyl instead.

If hard foam, I suppose that you will coat it with epoxy, and possibly also fibreglass in places.
Then I propose that you make the barrel in epoxy/fibreglass in two parts. Fibreglass can be really thin and lightweight, yet hard. Mould each part inside a halved pipe of larger diameter, coated with a thin layer of vaseline or just simple shrink wrap.

Weak man's option: That looks like an oversized Nintendo light-gun. Your client wouldn't be happy with a real Nintendo gun with the red (or grey) parts painted pink?

I was just at a plastic store, S&W Plastics, they had acrylic rod, but no tube. :-/ Sorry

And I was gonna say the same thing, it looks like an over-sized Nintendo Zapper Lightgun

maybe cardboard tubing? something like a wrapping paper tube with foam insulation on the inside to give it rigidity and seal it somehow.

after doing some research it looks like styrene tubing might be your best option or a plastic extruded core (basically the same thing).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back