New Hasbro 30" X-Wing Toy - Impressions

I took a piece of 2x4 and cut it down with my ban saw. It will sit flush with the wall and lines up right with the bottom struts on the bottom of the engines. Getting the V right was a little tricky but I think it will work. The middle of it lines up with the hole I have in the top of the fuselage. This will eventually be either glued or screwed into the undercarriage. I will drill a hole in it for the wall bolt/screw which will be anchored in the wall. I'm only planning on using one bolt. If it won't get tight enough to avoid the ship spinning, I will attach just a small strip of industrial velcro to each of the bottom landing struts and let them just stick to the wall.

Also went ahead and placed my order for my second one. "Why have one when you can have two at twice the price?"

Attachments

• 100_0407.JPG
    100_0407.JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 185
Still not sure what to do about these guns. I could deal with the fact that the underside of them is incomplete, as that side won't show. What I don't like is that the curly Q at the tip is more of a filled in half-circle instead of the proper "C" shape. You can't just cut them into the shape as they are hollow. Besides, cutting them into a perfect C would be damn near impossible.

The only thing I can think of is cutting the whole tip off behind the curly Q and starting over. I would have to find some kind of correct sized dowel or tube that could be inserted into the first section of the "telescope" and work from there. Not too keen on attempting that, unless I can build that whole tip section first and being satisfied with it before cutting off the tip of the gun.

Once you cut--you are committed. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_0408.JPG
    100_0408.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 187
Find a 1.25" diameter dowel or pipe or something and then get some strip styrene of an appropriate thickness and hold is in boiling water before wrapping it around the round item, cool it under cold running water and--BOOM--you've got yourself some curlycues.

That's what I'm gonna try at any rate...

Alternately, It might be worth a quick look through a hardware store to find a PVC plumbing fitting with a 1.25"I.D.... you could cut rings out of that. That might even be a better idea...

--Alex

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also with the pvc. I searched through my greeblies drawers and found these 3/16 wooden dowels and a piece of half inch pvc pipe (which is exactly the right size) and have been doing a little experimenting. The end result would be a gun tip that is a little wider than what came with it, but I think I can live with that. Plus, the dowel fits perfectly snug into the first "telescope" section of the gun barrel (see bottom pic). With a little glue I think it would be good and secure.

Then I drilled a small hole in the pvc and then cut it with the ban saw. The dowel fits good and snug through the curly Q hole. By chopping off the gun where I showed in my previous posts and drilling a hole into the plastic "plate" at the end of the barrel, it might just slide right in and work.

This pic is just a first crude attempt. By doing some precise measurements and cuts, and some sanding and painting, this might just work. But since I am doing two of these x-wings, I am going to make 8 of these and get them all right and perfect before I actually cut the gun--that scares me. There's no going back after that.

Attachments

• 100_0409.JPG
    100_0409.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
And here is one done, only seven more to go.

I will admit that cutting the "C" shape was a little tricky, getting all 8 the same exact size. But the harder part was drilling the holes in them. The "C" is not even a quarter of an inch wide and the hole is not much smaller than that, so there is very little left on either side of it. Getting the holes in the direct center took some trial and error with the drill press. Twisting the "C" shapes onto the dowels was painful as they are VERY tight. After twisting on all 8 I've got a blister on my thumb.

After much trepidation I finally cut the gun tip off. The "plate" at the end of the "telescope" is also hollow so I found a piece of fiber board that was the same width as the interior and I cut it to fit in the hollow part for some support. You can still see a little bit of it at the bottom--still need to do a little sanding on it.

The whole gun was too long to put on the drill press to to cut the hole in the "plate" I just used a dremel bit and rounded it out. Once it was the right size and centered the dowel slipped in nicely. The entire rig fits very snugly and tight, I don't even think I will have to glue anything.

I also drilled a teeny tiny hole at the end of the gun to represent a hollow gun barrel. Once it is all painted I think it will look pretty good.

Attachments

• 100_0412.JPG
    100_0412.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 198
Not too shabby! One inch PVC is smaller than the semi-circular part the toy is injected with, but I think they look quite good in spite of the smaller radius. I think I'll go the 1"pipe route myself, after seeing yours.

--Alex

No this pvc is exactly the same size as the semi circular part on the toy itself. Pvc is measured from the inside hole, so the outside is actually bigger than one inch. I lined them up, they are exactly the same size.

EDIT; my bad- you were correct. After re checking this it was half inch pvc.

Last edited:
I was at Lowes this morning looking at brass tubing in the hardware section just for this little project.

And here is the underside of the gun completed. .

And with the first base coat of white. I'm using Fusion satin white spray paint. I know that they say x-wings aren't really white, but they look pretty white to me. This isn't the Studio Scale forum, it is the General Modeling forum. So if it's close enough for rock-n-roll it's good enough for me. Once it is weathered I think it will be fine.

Attachments

• 100_0420.JPG
    100_0420.JPG
    581.7 KB · Views: 206
Almost picked up a second one today...

Do you think a 3 3/4 figure would look
good in this like it belongs? I know in smaller offerings
the 3 3/4 inch figures were just jammed in there as we
played with this stuff as kids!!LOL I am wondering if this
is finally big enough because the figures have come a long way,
and look so much better,

Offhand I would say this is almost perfect scale for the action figures. Too bad there is no cockpit in it. If someone is going to build one, please chronicle it here because I want to see that. Also to be displayed on a tabletop or something like that, you will need to build landing gear for the bottom engines, which will make the front landing gear useless. You will have to rebuild it as well.

So, let's do some math.

I measure this thing to be 29.5 inches long which equals 0.7493 m.

The official LFL endorsed length of the X-Wing is 12.5 m.

12.5/0.7493=16.68223675

Let's call it 1:16 scale.

If a regular pilot will stand about six feet high, then at 1:16 scale, a pilot figure would need to be 4.5" tall.

So, the 3.75" figures are going to be noticeably too small and the 6" figures are going to be noticeably too big. We'll probably have to find pilot figures for R/C aircraft and convert them to X-Wing pilots. Or else sculpt something from scratch, which I might try my hand at, seeing as how there seem to be a dearth of 1:16 scale pilot figures in my town... though I haven't quite given up the search...

--Alex

Well, I'm stupid:(. Just made a cardinal mistake in painting--didn't look for reference pictures first. Started taping off the cockpit to repaint the windows black--tape off one, paint, peel off tape. repeat, repeat. Got three windows painted before I actually started looking at reference pics, only to see that the actual frame of the cockpit is a sort of gray. CRAP!!:angry........Oh well, start over........Tape off the whole thing and paint it gray......Then start over on the windows.

I think I have just about had enough of this thing for this weekend.

So, let's do some math.

I measure this thing to be 29.5 inches long which equals 0.7493 m.

The official LFL endorsed length of the X-Wing is 12.5 m.

12.5/0.7493=16.68223675

Let's call it 1:16 scale.

If a regular pilot will stand about six feet high, then at 1:16 scale, a pilot figure would need to be 4.5" tall.

So, the 3.75" figures are going to be noticeably too small and the 6" figures are going to be noticeably too big. We'll probably have to find pilot figures for R/C aircraft and convert them to X-Wing pilots. Or else sculpt something from scratch, which I might try my hand at, seeing as how there seem to be a dearth of 1:16 scale pilot figures in my town... though I haven't quite given up the search...

--Alex

How long would the fuselage have to be to fit a 3 3/4 pilot?
I would like to scratch build an x-wing to to fit a 3 3/4 pilot
and astro mech droid.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back