New Hasbro 30" X-Wing Toy - Impressions

If this has been posted before, I apologize but what I would do is: cut the wings off. Cut the engines off the upper and lower wing things. Scratch build two new wings from styrene and lexan. use what you can salvage from the engines to create new engines on your new wings. Mount these to the nice new factory fuselage. cut out the cock pit area and scratch a cockpit and add pilot. What im getting at is this is a great head start to a nice sized X-wing that we can re-work and re-paint. If I could afford it, Id jump on it!

In terms of landing gear--there is something called a sewing foot for sewing machines that have a bit or articulation. Maybe not useful for this project--but there may be larger versions for upholstering machines

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-feet.php

P.S. Hair clippers often have attachment combs which you can use for scramjet intake vents for other projects
http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/0...pc&utm_term=0imma7pssetg&utm_campaign=bing_mc

Yeah, you could tear it all down and scratch build a ton of stuff on this piece, but I'm not really wanting to go to that much trouble for this particular build. At least not at this point in time. So I'm just going to keep going the way I am going. Besides, if you mount it so you are only seeing the top, as I am doing, its really not so bad looking. I mean what do you expect for forty bucks?

In terms of landing gear--there is something called a sewing foot for sewing machines that have a bit or articulation. Maybe not useful for this project--but there may be larger versions for upholstering machines

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-feet.php

P.S. Hair clippers often have attachment combs which you can use for scramjet intake vents for other projects
http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/0...pc&utm_term=0imma7pssetg&utm_campaign=bing_mc

I guess my push would be for landing gear and such that is 3d modeled as screen-accurate as I possibly can get them, so this keeps me looking at footage for references. Although I'm pretty well sold on the 3.75" figures for mine, I'm still modeling a new pilot and some other parts; a quick rescale and the finished pilot will work for a 10" model or a 100" model.

If this has been posted before, I apologize but what I would do is: cut the wings off. Cut the engines off the upper and lower wing things. Scratch build two new wings from styrene and lexan. use what you can salvage from the engines to create new engines on your new wings. Mount these to the nice new factory fuselage. cut out the cock pit area and scratch a cockpit and add pilot. What im getting at is this is a great head start to a nice sized X-wing that we can re-work and re-paint. If I could afford it, Id jump on it!

I like your thinking;)....the fuselage seems awesome (I'm no expert) but when do we get to the stage of so much rebuilding, we should scratch build the whole thing:confused...I suppose if you can get one for $40, then it's a reasonable price wise foundation to build from. At $80, $90 and even $120 (here in stupid land) it's mad money to toss 60% of the model out to rebuild the rest.

Last edited:
Get it from Amazon before the Aussie dollar takes a nose dive I'm hoping to go over seas for a period of time so if I do I'll definitely be getting this.

Looks like a similar marketing concept.to what they did with the 1 3rd Vader,i.e. first unload non-electronica versions and then mess a little with the early birds ...

The toy over all doesn't have any lighting. But the R2 is a removable "half-figure". In fact, you have to install it when unpacking the toy. The R2 is hollow (IIRC) so it (along with the rest of the toy) may be lit fairly easy.

THe older Hasbro FX toy (that I did the conversion on) did indeed use the astromech as a button.

PH, I think he's talking about the new version that has sound that was posted on Rebelscum. Looks like R2 is the switch and may not come out on that version.

I'm jumping on this too , just got my X-wing ordered however I'm going to go all the way with it. Lighted cockpit, lighted engines, and in flying mode and total repaint. Can someone post a pic of the butt plate?

Last edited:
Well, here is my final version of my first attempt. Now, I do not try to believe that I have even one tenth of the painting skills as most of you here do, so I realize it is not that great, and by no means screen accurate, but it will serve my purpose. So please be kind.

I kind of wish now that I had dirtied up Artoo a little bit, but once he is in there--he is in there. Oh well. Can anyone tell me if the Artoo is the same size as the action figures? I was thinking of maybe getting a different R2 unit for the next one.

Time to dismantle the second one and get to work again.

Attachments

• 100_0432.JPG
    100_0432.JPG
    757 KB · Views: 499
  • 100_0433.JPG
    100_0433.JPG
    795.5 KB · Views: 474
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back