New Hasbro 30" X-Wing Toy - Impressions

How long would the fuselage have to be to fit a 3 3/4 pilot?
I would like to scratch build an x-wing to to fit a 3 3/4 pilot
and astro mech droid.

Just going with an average (male) height of 70 inches, a 3 3/4 figure works out to a 1:19.2 scale.
At that scale, your x-wing fuselage would be 651 mm, or 25.63 inches.

Back to this X-wing's scale: if anybody's got interest (and access to a printer), I can throw together a printable file for a pilot in the correct scale.

Just going with an average (male) height of 70 inches, a 3 3/4 figure works out to a 1:19.2 scale.
At that scale, your x-wing fuselage would be 651 mm, or 25.63 inches.

Back to this X-wing's scale: if anybody's got interest (and access to a printer), I can throw together a printable file for a pilot in the correct scale.

PM.......sent

Unless you are going to mod it, I would say it is not worth $99. No way no how. The thing is not too bad looking, but it is just a hollow shell of very thin plastic.

Apparently it has been sighted here in Australia and will be raping us of $99.00.

Sighted where???......it would not surprise me if they do rip the %#@*&!!! out of us here in Oz......there's no way I'm paying $99 AUS for it.....considering how much work has to be done, you could easily spend less than $100 on materials and scratch build one probably just as good or better....Australia is such a rip off police state:behave....although I do love the weather:D

Sighted where???......it would not surprise me if they do rip the %#@*&!!! out of us here in Oz......there's no way I'm paying $99 AUS for it.....considering how much work has to be done, you could easily spend less than $100 on materials and scratch build one probably just as good or better....Australia is such a rip off police state:behave....although I do love the weather:D

Def scratch one better thats what i am going to do....LOL

It's been reportedly found by Mousedroid members at TRU in Sydney somewhere as well as at Myer at Castle Hill.

So, let's do some math.

I measure this thing to be 29.5 inches long which equals 0.7493 m.

The official LFL endorsed length of the X-Wing is 12.5 m.

12.5/0.7493=16.68223675

Let's call it 1:16 scale.

If a regular pilot will stand about six feet high, then at 1:16 scale, a pilot figure would need to be 4.5" tall.

So, the 3.75" figures are going to be noticeably too small and the 6" figures are going to be noticeably too big. We'll probably have to find pilot figures for R/C aircraft and convert them to X-Wing pilots. Or else sculpt something from scratch, which I might try my hand at, seeing as how there seem to be a dearth of 1:16 scale pilot figures in my town... though I haven't quite given up the search...

--Alex

First off, just FYI... Currently the average male height for males in the US and UK is 5'9" or 69" although I have found other reports of UK males being 70" around the time of the A New Hope filming.

Not sure why you are rounding down 16.68223675 to 16 when it is closer to 17. However, for people who are doing Red 5 using Mark's height of 68" (5'8") and a more precise measurement of 16.682 scale. A Luke Skywalker figure would need to be 4.076" or 10.35304cm or 41/16".

I've yet to see one of these things on the shelf where the cockpit decals are not peeling off but i am really looking forward to what you guys can do with these.

Last edited:
Yeah, the cockpit stickers are crap. They definitely have to come off. I've been working on my cockpit this morning. Here it is so far. Still needs a little work, but it's getting there. 100_0421.JPG100_0421.JPG

First off, just FYI... Currently the average male height for males in the US and UK is 5'9" or 69" although I have found other reports of UK males being 70" around the time of the A New Hope filming.

Not sure why you are rounding down 16.68223675 to 16 when it is closer to 17. However, for people who are doing Red 5 using Mark's height of 68" (5'8") and a more precise measurement of 16.682 scale. A Luke Skywalker figure would need to be 4.076" or 10.35304cm or 41/16".

I can't speak for the good people of NAS Jacksonville, but, as far as average heights, I personally stand right about 6' even, and in my corner of the USA, I'm not three inches taller than the average guy. In fact, I'm pretty much the average height, so I dunno how a 5'9" average was calculated.

But someone upthread suggests figuring scale based, not on the official LFL figure of 12.5 meters, but the studio scale X-Wings being 1:24 scale. So, how long were the studio scale X-Wings? Turns out I don't actually know definitively. But I have a number lodged in my head that I can't seem to verify of 24 inches. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong... I really would like to know the correct answer.)

So, a 24 inch long model at 1:24 scale would mean the full size would be 48 feet long. A 29.5 inch model of a 48 foot long subject would be closer to 1:19 scale than 1:16. It turns out that a 3.75 inch action figure is fairly close to 1:19 scale. To, the 29.5 inch X-Wing might well fit a 3.75 inch pilot figure.

Let's see how it looks.

Here's the Black Series Biggs figure (I got Biggs because he was the only one the store I went to had. I'll either convert this figure to be Luke (losing the mustache, remarking the helmet) or finding a proper Luke figure at another store.)

Here's a full scale Mark Hamill sitting in the cockpit set-piece.

And here's the 3.75" Biggs figure positioned in the 29.5" X-Wing fuselage.

I think he looks pretty good in there! The arch formed by the back of the canopy seems to frame the Biggs figure similarly to the framing of the full-size canopy over Mark Hamill's head.

And, really, kudos to the toy-designers at Hasbro! It seems like they scaled their X-Wing to fit their figures matching the sets seen in the films rather than fitting the official LFL numbers. Seems like every time I look into the official numbers, I find that they're basically arbitrary. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the official numbers probably shouldn't even be referenced as they're consistently wrong.

SO! I am recanting my initial 1:16 reckoning and I am now backing 1:19, which fits the 3.75" figures and makes finding appropriately sized pilots much simpler.

--Alex

I can't speak for the good people of NAS Jacksonville, but, as far as average heights, I personally stand right about 6' even, and in my corner of the USA, I'm not three inches taller than the average guy. In fact, I'm pretty much the average height, so I dunno how a 5'9" average was calculated.

That's extent of your research... You looked around? :lol

The entire internet within his reach, and he's out there measuring his neighbors. :facepalm

^^^
Hey, bud, there's something to be said about being observant of your surroundings. When I see a statistic that is in obvious disagreement with my own observations, I tend to question the statistic.

--Alex

Last edited:
^^^
Spoken like true egomaniac and you are only proving my point.

Hey pal, there is something to be said about getting your facts right.

Last edited:
Before the donnybrook ensues.... :lol

Well, I think the 3.75" figure does look pretty good in that cockpit. That being said, I'm about 1/2 way done putting together a x-wing pilot 3d model to go with this ship, and I intend to finish him up pretty quickly. The reason I'm blathering on this somewhat off-topic tangent is this: once I've finished this little guy up, I can render him with a duplicate 29.5" fuselage X-wing at 3 3/4" and the 4"+ character scales, both sitting in the cockpit and standing. People can look at the rendered comparisons, agree on a size (haha if that's possible) and then get a pilot at whatever size they think works.

Just to illustrate my concern on getting the correct scale (apologies for those that this is already common sense to), here's a scan form Roy Porter's Model Builder's Masterclass (great book, a little dated though):

Top images are of a standard 6'6" tall doorway and a 6' tall (in boots and hat) regimental soldier.
Bottom left is a 1/35 soldier in a 1/32 doorway
Bottom right is the soldier now in 1/32, with the doorway 1/35.

Monkey-math means these comparisons would equate to putting 1/16 and 1/17.5 scales side-by-side. This is why I don't wanna guess. ;)

Wow, Albertese, how did you get that cockpit cut out so clean? I think doing that cut that good and building an interior cockpit is a little above my skill level at this point. I think I am just going to go for the black windows right now. I guess I could always come back to it later, but since I am doing two of these I'll just let it be for the time being.

Good job, though!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back