Mara Jade lightsaber

KayleeJade

Jr Member
It has been a long time since I read the books so forgive me if this should be a no- brainer, but in the book Vision of the Future, is Mara Jade still using Luke's old lightsaber ie Darth Vader's?
I am planning on cosplaying the green outfit and want to make sure I use the correct lightsaber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I am having is looking at the Japanese cover art the blade is a different color from the US cover. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408676094.513619.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408676107.696935.jpg has anyone read the TZ books recently or will I be powering through them in the next few months?

I thought the Emperor had given her Lukes lightsaber recovered from Cloud City, the blue-bladed Graflex saber Luke used to fight Darth Vader.

The lightsaber from Cloud City ended up in the hands if Joruus C'baoth that he used to make Luuke (pun intended). At least that is how I remember it. Correct me if I am wrong.

This may be more info than you need but here is what I know...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mara_Jade's_first_lightsaber

This lightsaber was the weapon carried by Emperor's Hand Mara Jade. It produced a violet blade when ignited.
This lightsaber was given to Mara Jade by EmperorPalpatine when she became an Emperor's Hand.[1]
She used this weapon with her hold-out blasterthroughout the Galactic Civil War, including in theShelsha sector[2], on Svivren[3], Chibias[4] andKintoni[5]. She lost it after the Battle of Endor, during her duel with Lumiya on Caprioril.[6]
Several years later, Mara Jade joined the New Jedi Order and constructed a new violet-bladed lightsaber as part of her training to become a Jedi Knight.[6]

In the Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, she also wields a silver and gold hilt. This version has never been explained so you have to just assume it is the same lightsaber but another artists interpretation of the first lightsaber. Here is a fan prop representation: http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops...-Jade-Lightsaber-Myesteries-of-the-Sith-1.jpg

After Endor, Mara went without a lightsaber. As far I remember, she did not wield one till she confiscated Luke's Return of the Jedi lightsaber and held him captive in the Thrawn trilogy. During the climatic scene, she wielded Leia's lightsaber. At the end of the trilogy is when Luke gave her the Anakin Lightsaber.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker's_second_lightsaber

Carried by Mara Jade (9–40 ABY)

Mara Jade owned the weapon until her death at the hands of her fallen nephewJacen Solo in 40 ABY,[19] though she would often use another violet lightsaber.[20] Most notably, she used the blue blade on Nirauan during the Caamas Document Crisis,[21] on Chiss Ascendancy/Jedi/Empire of the Hand-joint mission to recover the Outbound Flight,[22] during the Yuuzhan Vong War[23] and also during the Second Corellian Insurrection.[24]

As mentioned above, Mara built another violet bladed lightsaber. I believe it was part of her jedi training. I believe this one tended to come up in the later novels (not sure, I got sick of the books around 1999).

So to answer your question... if you are portraying Mara during Vision of the Future, then you would need the Anakin lightsaber. It is set in a time frame after the point in which Luke gave her that saber and prior to her starting her Jedi training.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lightsaber from Cloud City ended up in the hands if Joruus C'baoth that he used to make Luuke (pun intended). At least that is how I remember it. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. The lightsaber was found by a tech at at Cloud City. Vader discovered this during a visit to the facility and took possession of the hand and lightsaber. The Empor discover Vader had possession of the items and turned over to the Emperor and put into storage on Weyland. Years later is when Joruus took possession of the items. At that point, the lightsaber was used by Luuke until his death. It was then reclaimed by Luke and presented to Mara to keep her from using his stuff.... okay, that was not the reason. But come on guys.. am I right? It's like when you wife uses your razor on their legs.. get your own! Ahem... sorry. He gave it to her to encourage her to someday pursue her Jedi training (I think that was the reason... I've not read the book since 1997).

Thank you Mara Jade's Father, that is how I remembered it too (without him trying to keep her from using his stuff, I have the impression he enjoyed her using his lightsaber...). I stopped reading with the whole Yuuzhan Vong War, and got confused looking at the different book covers due to the different blade colors.

The wookiepedia article has a picture of what I've seen over and over to represent Mara's saber. I'm not sure where it falls into the books though.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mara_Jade's_first_lightsaber?file=Mara_Jade's_Lightsaber.jpg

As entitled and I mentioned above, that was here first lightsaber. The Emperor gave it to he when she became his Hand and was lost after the Battle of Endor.

But yes, it tends to be the most recognized. It was first portrayed in that design in the CCG (collectible card game). Jeff Parks of Parks Sabers was commission to build it so that model Shannon Baksa McRandle who was hired to portray Mara as The Emperor's Hand could wield it on the card. Both Shannon and the lightsaber made many con appearances and was used as artists inspiration in art and other items for years to come. Often the lightsaber was shown in artwork in a time period which Mara would no longer possess the lightsaber.

FYI: I own one of only five lightsabers built by Parks that exactly replicated the one he built for the CCG. This were done in private. When he went public with future sales, details and length were changed. It even has the blue EL blade. Yes blue. That's the what was available back then. The purple in the photos were of course enhanced to make more like a real lightsaber blade and to change color.

attachment.php

This is the only COA of its kind to exist...

attachment.php

Attachments

• mjcert.jpg
    mjcert.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 444
  • mjsaber.jpg
    mjsaber.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see about getting my hands on my old Luke lightsaber from ANH and do what I can to spiff it up and make it not look plastic. I can't afford a replica on a SAHM income ;). Any tips on how to do that?

I'm looking at doing just the hilt, it is going to be for walking the floor at Seattle's RustyCon in January. I don't have a lot of money to spend or a lot of experience making props, but I figured if I was going to do this, I'd do my best to do it well.

On the topic of her green dress, does anyone have any tips for the shoulder armor/pads? I was looking at sports equipment but nothing really has the right shape. Is this something I'll need to construct from scratch?

Thanks, I'll see about getting my hands on my old Luke lightsaber from ANH and do what I can to spiff it up and make it not look plastic. I can't afford a replica on a SAHM income ;). Any tips on how to do that?

Sorry, I meant to answer this question earlier.

Assuming a small budget, you have 3 option. Each one is actually the Anakin ROTS lightsaber hilt as no one has actually made an RP toy of Luke's ANH or ESB hilt. Your goal would be to modify it to the ESB version.

1. The $10 toy (from about the last 3 years) you flick open to reveal a blade: The blade is hidden in the hilt so you do not need to remove it if you do not want to. There is a click on the side that is made to hang on the waist of your pants. That would need to be removed and that entire area reworked. You also have to remove the black Covertec style knob. You need to add the kobold style D-ring clip to the hilt's end/pommel. The gold section lever at the control box would need to be silver (modify shape if you are really (particular). Add a red style button know to the underside of the hilt that is the same to the one on top. You also need to cut/Dremmel little sections of each black grip away and place screws (or faux screw heads) in those spots. Do some mods to the detail of the plate on the control box

2. The $20 Electronic collapsible blade (from the last 3 years). You have to do most the same above. Except that is does not have the pants clip and you would need to remove the blade.

3. These is an LED flashlight that retails from $10-$25 based on where you shop. Once again, you would have to do most of what was stated above but this one does not a pants clip either.
You also may want to repaint the hilts so that it looks more metallic or because you had to do some body work.

Note on #1 and #2, I said “from the last 3 years”. That is because the current version were redesigned about 3 years ago and the handles are much more accurate in length and girth when compared to the actual prop.

Other than that, the only other alternatives are to find someone who sells “sink tube” style hilts. This is common beginners prop made from hardware parts. Or… If someone was selling a broken or for parts Master Replicas FX Luke ESB Hilt.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back