Sealab Reissue

wow, I will say like it is and dont give a f&*k about political correctness.... for years most of you people been wanting a sealab kit and complaining about 500+ ebay prices and FINALLY here it is within your reach and now complaining about shipping and taxes???? IT IS STILL CHEAPER THAN AN ORIGINAL!, its not cheap to send packages from USA to the rest of the planet and the other way around. If you dont like the fact your country implements taxes when you buy something overseas then do something about it and vote those officials out of office. Lol
I did supply the kit for the box art, the kit in that link was mine ........ now stop whining like little girls and order that kit!

For me that's not about taxes but about the shipping costs. I use to order kits or big heavy parts (R2 parts) from the US, and I know what I'm going to pay depending on the size/weight.
Here's that's a bit overpriced IMHO, and I dont like UPS (there's always problem with them, USPS is more reliable and cheaper IMHO).

I agree. UPS and FEDEX are overpriced. USPS is ok but USPS has a big habit of losing items, damaging items and taking forever to clear customs. I recently shipped a costume to the UK the client requested FEDEX and it cost over 1000.00 just in shipping. Would have been cheaper for him to use USPS for sure.
This sealab has been OOP since what? 1969? and this is the first time its been repopped and a limited run for sure....then I would do whatever it takes to make sure I get one or several because its still cheaper than an original 1969 kit....

AS of the 26th...
Update as of June 23th 2015.
The Sealab III numbers are currently are
132 bagged kits and 53 boxed kits for a total of $10573.15
Our goal is to reach $28,000 to get the Tooling cost covered.

The Atlantis sealab order page is kinda "order now" barebones. It's hard to point people like my local model shop owner to. It needs marketing sex-appeal to intrigue geeks who didn't realize why they need this piece of Star Wars history or how when fully built could be sweet hipster bait.

If someone with graphic design skills wanted to create a killer promotional flyer jpeg for the sealab; it would make it really easy for us to market it to places like local and online hobby shops, other forums, and to geek-news sites.

Some possible selling points.

Star Wars relevancy:
- A kit that blew up the Death Star.
- X-Wing part maps.
Rarity:
- Out of production since..
- Typical eBay prices for original kits.
Order Information, etc:

Any image with decent selling points would be fine, but it would be kinda cool to see it in a 70's comic half-tone similar to the sealab contest ad, but with punched up color.

Probably would be good to get Atlantis to bless the design before we start sending it out. Maybe they'll use it too?

If this is the kind of response they have gotten so far with their 'slow burn' effort, perhaps they will be encouraged to put more into the promotion of this project. After all, are any of the big resellers (Squadron ne MMD, Hannants, Stevens International, even Walmart?) on their radar as 'co-conspirators'? Stevens Int'l, itself has reissued old, OOP kits (Monogram snap-tite M60 & Tiger tank kits come to mind) on occasion . Since MMD & SI are distributors, they can go straight to hobby shops.

But yes, a good promotional "flyer" with the details would go a long way towards getting the word out there... much simpler to pass along to my model club mates, the IPMS'ers, local hobby shops, etc. I could take a swing at it, but it would help if anyone has a decent rez image of the original boxtop art...

BTW, can anyone confirm the scale of the model? Atlantis has it at 1:93, but I've seen it marketed as 1:72. With a 12 foot dia. on the main tube of the prototype, it should be easy to determine by measuring the model.

R/ Robert

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, but on which models exactly (Star Wars preferably, but if so also 2001 etc) was the Sealab kit used? The X-Wing has been mentioned, but are there more?

Thank you!

Are there any news about the shipping costs? The posters before are right, I would consider buying one even as I don't need it, if the price would not double because of shipping...

You lucky dog! My kids (who are now of ages 21, 19 & (nearly) 16) are very grateful for you & your team's efforts... Have buckets under their beds full of Lego, still.

For me, I use a tub o' parts & a large 'green sheet' base as a modeling jig - very versatile. In fact, I have often wondered why the company hadn't produced a set just for that purpose with special pieces with fine adjustment 'arms' on them (I just use soft foam shims to provide even, symmetric clamping of vertical surfaces...)

Cheers!
Robert

Thank you!

Are there any news about the shipping costs? The posters before are right, I would consider buying one even as I don't need it, if the price would not double because of shipping...

I got an email from Atlantis models saying they had fixed the "weight issue".

For those of us in non US locations the price has come down considerably. It still feels somewhat expensive for USPS (they only offer USPS for international - not UPS), but I've put myself down for four.

A moment of silence please.

Sealab with Lead Shipping Ingot special edition has sold out.

Nice detective work on the bogus weight issue! $50+ was crazy talk.

Same here. Picked up 2 bagged kits and shipping to Canada was $52-ish bucks. Glad to be getting these, but hopefully, they can take another look at that.

I just check Atlantis models web and still the same shipping price to Spain (47.60$)....

The difference now seems to be if you order multiple kits the shipping cost does not become higher than the cumulative cost of the kits, as it did previously.

Psssht. Like that will happen. I have been hounding Jamie every year at WF for the past decade about the Sealab. Round 2 will never do it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back