Sealab Reissue

I'm with 3phase. Cost to the UK for two bagged kits is more than two bagged kits. Then I get hit for import duty and 20% tax. I'd like to buy a few but unless there is some better international shipping options I can't justify it. Shame.

I've mailed Atlantis to ask them if they can give non US folks some other options.

My order is #229.
Does anybody know, how many kits have been preordered?
(It is hard to tell from the order number. On one side, there might be / are orders without a Sealab kit adding to this number and on the other side there are orders with multiple kits.)

posted on their site...
"
Update as of June 4th 2015!
The Sealab III numbers for the first week are
113 bagged kits and 40 boxed kits for a total of $8447.00.
Our goal is to reach $28,000. It's a good start, but we still have a ways to go."

Whenever I buy something from the US I always ask for USPS international postage. Always ends up being the cheaper option, but it's probably not being offered by Atlantis? They will probably send it out with UPS, and they are mega expensive worldwide.

Whenever I buy something from the US I always ask for USPS international postage. Always ends up being the cheaper option, but it's probably not being offered by Atlantis? They will probably send it out with UPS, and they are mega expensive worldwide.

They only offer USPS. Postage prices from the US Is just something we have to deal with but suxs when it means getting something or not. Weird as I have received massive boxes from Mike and others for around the same price as a bag of parts.

They only offer USPS. Postage prices from the US Is just something we have to deal with but suxs when it means getting something or not. Weird as I have received massive boxes from Mike and others for around the same price as a bag of parts.

Well that sucks. I've had the same experience too with certain things. I've bought stuff off eBay that was sent through USPS and they were fairly large parcels and it was cheap as chips but random things that have been quite small and the postage has been really expensive. I remember sending a large heavy parcel back to Australia from a small town in Montana when I did a road trip over there a couple of years ago and it was really cheap.

I've ordered 2 bagged kits, yes international shipping is expensive, but it's still alot cheaper that buying an original.

Even though I have plenty of resin castings (and molds of some parts) to use for my projects, I ordered two bags anyway. And a box, but it's a gift for someone who's a fan of the subject matter.

@ Jason and swhite228: Thank you for the link / info on the order status.
Adding the recent orders to those figures show that there is still a long way to go, but we are getting closer and closer ...

Perhaps someone (Jason?) has an 'in' with Atlantis and can let them know they are losing potential sales because of the shipping issue. Is there a UK / EU / Oz Atlantis distributor that can get involved? This may be one of those situations where having a middle man will work out better cost wise.
R/ Robert

Strangely, I cannot access their website... even the Facebook link fails. May be my Gateway having issues...anyone else?

Last edited:
I can ask. We still have a ways to go!

Update as of June 11th 2015.
The Sealab III numbers are currently are
125 bagged kits and 46 boxed kits for a total of $9693.29
Our goal is to reach $28,000 to get the Tooling cost covered.
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
hi!
I would like to in for 1 or 2 kits but shipping is too much to Spain...
shipping is more than the kit!
do you know if will be a more cheaper shipping service?
thanks!

wow, I will say like it is and dont give a f&*k about political correctness.... for years most of you people been wanting a sealab kit and complaining about 500+ ebay prices and FINALLY here it is within your reach and now complaining about shipping and taxes???? IT IS STILL CHEAPER THAN AN ORIGINAL!, its not cheap to send packages from USA to the rest of the planet and the other way around. If you dont like the fact your country implements taxes when you buy something overseas then do something about it and vote those officials out of office. Lol
I did supply the kit for the box art, the kit in that link was mine ........ now stop whining like little girls and order that kit!

wow, I will say like it is and dont give a f&*k about political correctness.... for years most of you people been wanting a sealab kit and complaining about 500+ ebay prices and FINALLY here it is within your reach and now complaining about shipping and taxes???? IT IS STILL CHEAPER THAN AN ORIGINAL!, its not cheap to send packages from USA to the rest of the planet and the other way around. If you dont like the fact your country implements taxes when you buy something overseas then do something about it and vote those officials out of office. Lol
I did supply the kit for the box art, the kit in that link was mine ........ now stop whining like little girls and order that kit!

I know this is great that its happening and I will order to help the cause but as I said somewhere else In my case tho I don't really need the kit. The only scratch build I am doing is the ESB AT-ST and I have all the parts for it and doubt I will do a scratch build of anything else.
Still I am a newbie and don't know what models would even use the parts.
I just wanted a kit mainly to help the numbers. Just weird with the postage cost when I can get very large boxes with heavy kits from the US for the same postage cost.

Dear MXM, I have been sending my Masks to USA for 56$ (50€), FROM SPAIN, and the box is 60x40x40cm and a weight is 1,7kg!!!
Understand,in my opinion, that the shipping is too expensive!
and yes, is more cheaper than the original sealab, but do you think I was going to spend 500 on an original? NO (unless I go to be rich)
anyway, just wondering if there was a cheaper shipping service, nothing else!
said that, I´m going to whining like little girls! ;)

It might help to know *what* shipping service the company is using. Perhaps there is an in-country importer who could line up a pre-order deal with Atlantis & have it all sent in a container for further distribution. Really, they could be doing this a bit better if world-wide(?) interest is a 'given'.
Regards, Robert

So, they can't use a US company? Hm, I guess they hate America. Just sayin' :unsure
Goerge

Re-reading the thread, I came upon this again and felt a need to inject a little reality.
Years back, in the '90's I was visiting with the Accurate Miniatures folks at their "plant" in Charlotte, NC. After learning of the difficulties working with a production vendor on the other side of the planet, I was told that cutting steel for plastic model kits was just not something that could be found in the US. Apparently, those with the know-how and skills (meaning companies) would not take on the job because of the risk involved and the long amortization required. Production injection molded plastic tooling is very expensive, even more so in this country where folks actually make (mostly...don't want to start a flame-crisis) working wage. Also, with the general decline of the plastic model hobby from its apparent peak in the 60'-70's, expected sales can cause the return on investment to take a very long time. Result is, unless folks are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for even 'small' model kits, it just cannot be economically done using domestic vendors. Unless a company has it's own in-house resources (like Revell does), tooling has to go elsewhere. Even then, it is a toss up (noting that Revell does send work overseas...)

Lets face it, it is a "bean-counters" world out there. If you want something that is being done in spite of the bottom line, you're talking passionate fan-boys taking up the torch, not companies responsible to their stockholders and (to an often lesser degree), their employees. It is indeed a money thing, though not as simple as sometimes portrayed (as in 'greedy corporate goons'.) But then, the real world has always included uneven playing fields and this is just another case of 'life ain't fair'.

R/ Robert

Yeah! Milestone - 500 posts

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back