Star Lord w/ lights and sound - 3d Print Files - Infinity Orb Base in Progress

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: Star Lord with lights and sound.

Thanks guys! I'd like to do a small run of finished lit orbs once things have died down after New York Comic Con, but we'll see. Now that I've got the process down I wager it'd be fairly straightforward.

The pants have been mocked up and given a quick fit test. Some of the details are outlined in stitching just for proportion's sake, but the fit of the basic pants is the most important part at this stage.

I have legs that make it look like I skipped leg day - skinny bird legs - so the pants are a bit slim looking. I'm hoping the addition of the extra panel details and then a decent pair of boots will help make me look a bit more proportional. :D A couple changes were mocked up after the fit, including moving the knee ribbing down so it sits a bit better over the top of my kneecap. The ankles are tailored fairly tightly at the moment to make it easy to tuck the pants into a boot - the final pants will have an ankle zipper to ensure easy wear, and hopefully straps that go under the arch of my foot to keep the pants straight when I slip the boots on.

I also mocked a pattern up for the belt this afternoon, but I haven't had time to take decent pictures of things because my workspace has been a disastrous mess. Going to spend some time cleaning up tomorrow morning so I can make a rough test in canvas, and pending that working out, start cutting and dyeing some leather.

Everything is looking absolutely fantastic!! I'm excited to see the end result :thumbsup Especially looking forward to the boots.

As for the orb...
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

A couple notes to give your tailor. The pants don't have a waistband, there are two gussets on each knee, and the fly flap extends down to the inseam.

Just a friendly reminder that this is not a sales/interest thread, all such threads belong in the Classifieds forums. Thanks.

love the orb! I have the same file....thingiverse is awesome! alas.....I don't have a printer tho. Gonna hit up the local college campus and see if I can find an architecture student!

Just a friendly reminder that this is not a sales/interest thread, all such threads belong in the Classifieds forums. Thanks.

Sorry! Didn't mean for discussion to turn that direction - it was just a throwaway comment, since I tend to type off the top of my head, and I wasn't expecting people to start lining up.

Got a couple more parts printed out of the mask and threw it together for a quick test fit. I think it's a lot better, but I'll know for sure once I finish printing the mouthpiece and chin. Those parts should hopefully show the flattened-out face versus Helagak's original model.

That is looking AWESOME! It does also bum me out though that my 3D printer sucks hard. I can't even get it to spit out one of your gun barrel extensions without totally bombing.

That is looking AWESOME! It does also bum me out though that my 3D printer sucks hard. I can't even get it to spit out one of your gun barrel extensions without totally bombing.

What sort of printer you using? I've got a Makergear M2, and I cannot sing its praises highly enough.

And anyway, speaking of the gun barrel extensions, I finally got around to modelling up one for the lower barrel.

I'll be 100% honest and say I didn't know what exactly to do with it. Based on the reference imagery I've seen of it...

... it looks like different guns have different bottom barrel extensions? Or I guess the design of it is extendable? I don't know. All I know is that most of the photos I've seen of Chris Pratt holding the thing have the shorter, retracted-barrel version, so I went with that for the time being. The section beneath the barrel is just me making stuff up, because as best as I can tell, there has never been any images released of it up-close.

Since I'm using RGB LEDs that will behave differently depending on the state of the gun, I figured I would use the bottom barrel as a chance to emphasize that state change - when 'overheated', the LEDs will pulse a red warning pattern. With that in mind, I designed a pair of LED holes for the bottom barrel, and that vented lower section will be illuminated from within by one of the RGB LEDs. I'll probably put some frosted acrylic behind the holes so that when the gun fans open and goes into overheated mode, you'll see the venting glowing alongside everything else.

The vented 'top' section for the vented lower section is designed to be printed as a separate piece and just plug in. I did that because I might change that design down the line, and also because it saved me having to print supports inside the gun itself.

I'll share the file for the bottom barrels shortly, once I get a chance to print it out and confirm that it fits okay.

Aaand here we go.

The front grill section of that bottom barrel needs to be reprinted a bit better, but it fits pretty much spot-on otherwise, so I'm happy. The top and bottom barrel shrouds are just loosely fitted in place - I know they look crooked. They can't sit flush against the body of the gun unless the hinges are attached properly, since otherwise they get in the way. I'll get the whole thing fitted together properly tomorrow and confirm that the upper and lower shrouds can still move okay with my barrel extensions in place.

I have a da Vinci at work. It only prints ABS, and my boss won't give the go ahead to hack it to print PLA because we only need ABS for work purposes. It prints terrible detail in ABS.

Now the nerf gun looks right. Too bad they didn't make that from the start.

What sort of printer you using? I've got a Makergear M2, and I cannot sing its praises highly enough.

And anyway, speaking of the gun barrel extensions, I finally got around to modelling up one for the lower barrel.

http://i.imgur.com/shQncfSl.jpg

I'll be 100% honest and say I didn't know what exactly to do with it. Based on the reference imagery I've seen of it...

http://i.imgur.com/tfi19nrl.jpg

... it looks like different guns have different bottom barrel extensions? Or I guess the design of it is extendable? I don't know. All I know is that most of the photos I've seen of Chris Pratt holding the thing have the shorter, retracted-barrel version, so I went with that for the time being. The section beneath the barrel is just me making stuff up, because as best as I can tell, there has never been any images released of it up-close.

Since I'm using RGB LEDs that will behave differently depending on the state of the gun, I figured I would use the bottom barrel as a chance to emphasize that state change - when 'overheated', the LEDs will pulse a red warning pattern. With that in mind, I designed a pair of LED holes for the bottom barrel, and that vented lower section will be illuminated from within by one of the RGB LEDs. I'll probably put some frosted acrylic behind the holes so that when the gun fans open and goes into overheated mode, you'll see the venting glowing alongside everything else.

The vented 'top' section for the vented lower section is designed to be printed as a separate piece and just plug in. I did that because I might change that design down the line, and also because it saved me having to print supports inside the gun itself.

I'll share the file for the bottom barrels shortly, once I get a chance to print it out and confirm that it fits okay.

This looks awesome man! Will you be releasing the file?

So jealous of your orb too! You sir have a ton of skill!

I have a da Vinci at work. It only prints ABS, and my boss won't give the go ahead to hack it to print PLA because we only need ABS for work purposes. It prints terrible detail in ABS.

Seems weird though he wouldn't give you the go ahead for the XYZPro attachment, since it literally just goes over the pins in the cartridge bay. It's not doing any real "hacking" and the benefit as well is that with the XYZPro being able to modify bed and extruder temp you could actually get far smoother and better prints from ABS. I might try and push that idea toward him, see if he bites.

Yeah, I have to say, if your 3d printer has some proprietary locking mechanism to keep you from using certain features, that's insane to me. But! ABS is a fickle mistress - all of my prints in this thread are PLA, because it is consistent enough for what I need. ABS requires a lot more work to get good prints out of, with the tradeoff being the fact that you can acetone-smooth everything afterwards, and I think the parts have a bit more durability.

And yes, I will be releasing the files for the lower barrel shortly - I'm just tweaking one or two things to improve how they print. I currently have my printer tied up making the mouth right now for my helmet, but later tonight I should have enough time to fit a v2 of my lower barrel print into the queue. Everything went great on the barrel part, but the auxiliary vented 'cover' for the lower section didn't stick to the supports quite right, so I'm changing the design of the part to give it a flat side for printing.

Yeah, I have to say, if your 3d printer has some proprietary locking mechanism to keep you from using certain features, that's insane to me. But! ABS is a fickle mistress - all of my prints in this thread are PLA, because it is consistent enough for what I need. ABS requires a lot more work to get good prints out of, with the tradeoff being the fact that you can acetone-smooth everything afterwards, and I think the parts have a bit more durability.

And yes, I will be releasing the files for the lower barrel shortly - I'm just tweaking one or two things to improve how they print. I currently have my printer tied up making the mouth right now for my helmet, but later tonight I should have enough time to fit a v2 of my lower barrel print into the queue. Everything went great on the barrel part, but the auxiliary vented 'cover' for the lower section didn't stick to the supports quite right, so I'm changing the design of the part to give it a flat side for printing.

Yeah the Da Vinci is a little odd, but it's kind of what you get for a $500 3d Printing option. I'm looking into potentially loading custom firmware or purchasing the mod, I really have to weigh the pro's and cons. If the $80 mod will allow me to do everything the firmware can without potentially create a 2 foot cubed brick if I mess up the install, I'll spend the extra $80. The mod is great though letting surpass the set extruder temp or lower it, so you can print better in ABS or actually use PLA. I think the idea is a true "plug and play" option for the general consumer, thankfully it seems they didn't make it too hard open it up for the savvy. I'm going to be doing some test prints on mine this weekend, will probably start with your barrel plugs, and I want to try acetone vapour smoothing, my mom gave me her rice cooker because "It just burns rice" so I'm going to use that to put the parts in versus a heating pad and a jar like I've seen a lot of people do.

Well, the problem in this case is that my boss wants us to do as little modification to the printer as possible to make it do what he needs, he wants to keep the original software, etc. My coworker in charge of the thing is a real piece of work and has to be right about everything, so he doesn't take other people's input well at all. I would go straight to my boss with it except that our mill just broke and as much I want to 3D print stuff, getting my machining capability back matters to me more.

I got the mouth plate printed out, but I had a bit of a misprint where one of the pipes didn't stick very well to the front part of the mask. I may reprint the mouth after I fix that, but it's easy enough to do. For now, I just taped it onto the helmet to check for scale.

Not bad. Certainly a better fit than the first few tries. There's a gap by the cheek, apparently, which I think is caused by the fact that I may have glued the eyeplate on a little farther out than was intended on the original model. That's super easy to fix with just a strip of styrene and some body filler, though. It is a lot flatter than the original mouthplate, which I think is a marked improvement, but it's also a little thinner, which is why I think one of the pipes broke off. Something for me to address. Here's a comparison with my original print of Helagak's model.

I'll probably print the chin out tonight while I see how easy it'd be to fix the pipes on the mouth seamlessly. I may reprint the mouth plate, just to be safe. I hate that Helagak's original mouthplate has this weird rippled texture all over it - it's part of the base mesh - but it should sand out easily enough, and I don't have the time to totally remodel the part.

In other news, my walkman is coming along pretty splendidly. :D

Only thing left to do is slide the lithium battery in there with it and wire up the switches on the other pieces. I want to utilize the existing buttons on the outside of my fake 3d printed walkman because, frankly, I think it'd be cool as **** if the FFW, REW, and PLAY buttons actually worked. The orange 'hot mic' button on the top of the walkman unit will be made into a pushbutton toggle to turn the whole device on and off. It blasts the music out of the fake tape reel in the front of the tape, and thanks to the little amplifier circuit I wired in, it's loud as hell. I'm really thrilled with how this part's going so far!

Oh man, this is all looking INCREDIBLE. I LOVE how the orb looks with the glowing gem inside it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back