Recommended paint for flexible vinyl?

red4

Sr Member
Please let me know if this is the wrong section of the forum for this.
----------------------------------

I'm looking to completely repaint my gorgosaurus action figure.

this_is_totally_real__by_action_figure_opera-d7na6f0.png

The main torso is made of soft vinyl. Model Master acrylics won't properly adhere to the vinyl without cracking if the vinyl bends. Is there some kind of solvent I can add to my Model Master acrylics to make them bind and flex better? Or is there another kind of paint entirely that I can use? Airbrushes are out of the question at this point, as I don't have the kind of money to spend on one, and I especially don't have the slightest bit of experience with one. I don't want to screw up the vinyl on my gorgosaurus while practicing with the airbrush. Also, I want to paint very fine details, like 0.5 millimeter thick spots and lines. My intention is to meticulously detail every single scale on the dinosaur if possible.

What do you guys use to paint foam latex and silicone masks/busts? Could the same paint be used on vinyl?

gorgosaurus_by_action_figure_opera-d6t3iut.jpg

I also own 2 of the original tyrannosaurus action figures from Jurassic Park and The Lost World. They're made of pretty much the same type of vinyl as the gorgosaurus. However, given their precious nature, I also cannot practice painting on them. They're my vintage beauties. I only mention them because they have more exposure among people who buy dinosaur toys, so there's a better chance you guys are familiar with the vinyl used on them as a point of reference for my gorgosaurus.

t_rex_encounter_01_by_action_figure_opera-d4u1i01.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
People who do masks use paints that have latex mixed in with the paint to give it the flexibility, pretty much airbrush only. Or they will use acrylics that have a top coat of prosaide (sp?) to help prevent the paint from cracking when flexed. Check out the Hunters Lair forum. It's a Predator costuming forum run by our own Art Andrews. They have a lot of tutorials on painting latex.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back