Automata

rodneyfaile

Sr Member

Jacq Vaucan, an insurance agent of ROC robotics corporation, routinely investigates the case of manipulating a robot. What he discovers will have profound consequences for the future of humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great. I love this style of film. It reminds me of Neill Blomkamp's style. The designs are modern, yet futuristic. Looks good. I'll never get tired of a good I am Robot story!

I saw some where today this movie being described as Blade Runner and I, Robot have a baby and after seeing the trailer I now understand why slick and stylish looking .

If its anything like Elysium or Oblivion It'll be another win for great quality Sci-Fi

It´s already been mentioned that obviously the story has parallels to

- Blade Runner
- I, Robot

I´d like to add

- The bicentennial man
- Ghost in the shell
- A.I.

to the mix.

It looks pretty interesting, but not like an original story.

BUT !!! I think it may be what I expected from A.I, and could be an interesting sequel to I, Robot and Blade Runner ;)

This time I actually envy the generation that is greatly unaware of the above mentioned movies and can approach this movie with a sense of wonder that IMO gets lost once you´ve seen a lot of movies or read a lot of stories.

First I've heard of this movie. I definitely see the comparisons to I, Robot and Blade Runner, but it looks like a good movie in its own right. I didn't like I, Robot, so hopefully this can be a better take on the idea.

Reminded me of Demon seed. Loved that film and I think I'll love this too. Looks great and has just a little more weather than I Robot which I think could have really pick that up. So good the re-hashes slowing down.

I thought it was a badass Bradley Cooper at first, but alas it just Dylan Mcdermott

very Blade Runner, hopefully has a good story that gets resolved by the end.

So who's making clear rain coats?

Does he find out He's a robot too???

Last edited:
http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2014/08/watch-the-trailer-automata-starring-antonio-banderas/

Fast forward fifty years into the future, planet earth is in the midst of gradual desertification. Mankind struggles to survive as the environment deteriorates and the slow regression of the human race begins in AUTÓMATA. On the brink of life and the reality of death, technology combats the prevailing uncertainty and fear with the creation of the first quantum android, the Automata Pilgrim 7000. Designed to bring support to society’s plight, man and robot reveal what it means to co-exist in a culture defined by human nature.

The descent of civilization is juxtaposed by the rise of ROC, the corporation at the helm of robotic intelligence. Despite the demise of humanity, the company has set forth security protocols to ensure mankind always maintains control over the manufactured population. As ROC insurance agent, Jacq Vaucan (Antonio Banderas) routinely investigates cases and complaints surrounding defective androids, he begins to uncover the secrets behind who is really manipulating the Automata Pilgrim 7000. Jacq’s own suspicions propel the mystery— uncovering a truth that is far more complex than the make or model of any machine.

Writer/Director Gabe Ibáñez was driven to tell a story that blurs the lines between science fiction and reality. Ibáñez gives audiences a compelling look into the theory of evolution and what life might be like for mankind in the not too distant future. With powerful performances from a cast including Antonio Banderas, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Melanie Griffith, Dylan McDermott and Robert Forster, AUTÓMATA is a sci-fi film noir that explores the potential dangers and complexities when mind and machine merge.

Millennium Entertainment will release AUTOMATA in theaters and OnDemand October 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've gotta sculpt one of those robots, i love the visuals.

Well it looks like its getting poor reviews and it had a tiny budget so i won't be paying to see this.

shame.

Last edited:
Anybody else see this? Just watched it and I thought it wasn't too bad. Seriously felt bad for every single robot that got killed. The movie definitely made me feel sympathetic. Kind of a depressing ending, but I didn't think it could have been any more fitting.

Spoiler questions:

What the heck were they building at the end? A bodyguard robot? Cleo said that it wouldn't need to be able to speak, so does that mean it's the next evolution of robots and will start building more?

Why were the robots trying to get across the canyon anyways? Just to get away from the humans and start a new civilization?

-The Truth is Out There-

I rented this the other night. I liked it actually. Definitely not a fast paced action film, but it had a fresh story, much better than I Robot. I would say yes and yes to your questions.

watched it last night, spoilers below.

worst thing about the movie was melanie griffith's face (truly horrifying).
the best bit about the film ,she was only in it for ten minutes. (thanks kid!)

a weak script/screenplay which really lost its momentum early on. it dragged on and the ending was pitiful. (casting captain darling as a baddy ffs)
low budget was evident all the way through.
the walking movements of the robots were awkward due to them being done similarly to c3po in episode 1, (green man strapped in behind) it just doesn't work.

the actual robots themselves were believable in their construction/joints etc..

i wanted to like this film and would give it a generous 5/10.

it could have been MUCH MUCH better.

I liked bits of it. One annoying point was Dylan Mcdermott always wearing his sunglasses in rain and while driving at night. Didn't care for the ending. When he decided to ram them his family was clearly in danger and the whole lying while dying thing. I did like the robot design even though they looked like the ones from iRobot.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back