Avengers style thor hammer - disguise upgrade with metal handle

dstlouis28

I Would like to start this thread by thanking Kevin Gosset & Psicorp7 for the great work and inspiration. I have been a big fan of the Avengers efx Mjolnir but not quite ready to shell out the $600 it would cost. I have also seen some very nice Chinese hammers but I am a little hesitant about ordering those as well due to customs issues. The hammer I built is very solid due to the metal rod handle and anchoring the handle with Rockite to the foam filled disguise hammer head. The total build and costs around $80. The price should really be a little cheaper for anyone to replicate because you should not have to buy every item on the "Bill of Material" list given below, I had a number of the items on hand from a prior build so my total cost was around $45.

The finished product is:

FIRST.jpgSECOND.jpgphoto 3.JPG

• Additionally I want to note that I have viewed a lot of great posts on Thor hammers on this site, it seems to me that the handleends are the most difficult part to get accurate. I have seen some near perfect handles for sale, but they are quite costly and may require a lot of finishing work. I also wanted a hammer with significant weight. One hope I have for this thread is to ask the question to many of you, How can I improve this design for the next try? I am very happy with the result but I think it could be done better and I do plan to do a better version in the near future.

In case anyone wants to replicate the handle build I have included a full bill of materials with approximate cost estimates.
Bill of Materials:
(1) ½” x16” LONG THREADED ROD - $5
(4) ½- STANDARD NUTS - $.50
(1) ½”-CLOSE BLACK NIPPLE - $1
(1) ¾”x 12” LONG BLACK PIPE - $4
(1) 1 1/8” RUBBER CHAIR FOOT - $.80
(1) 7/8” SATIN NICKEL NAIL ON CHAIR GLIDER - $.50
(1) 2”x2” PIECE OF STANDARD ALUMINUM FLASHING MATERIAL – I USED SCRAP – SMALLEST ROLL ABOUT $5
(1) ¾” x 2” PVC COUPLING - $.50
(1) DISGUISE THOR HAMMER - $15
(1) 1 LB PACKAGE OF ROCKITE - $2
BONDO SPOT PUDDY - $7
SUPER GLUE - $3
JB WELD - $6
KRYLON SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC – BLACK - $5
KRYLON SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC – HAMMERED - $5
KRYLON SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC – METALLIC SHIMMER - $5
KRYLON SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC – CLEAR - $5
(1) 42"x1 1/2" LEATHER RIBBON MATERIAL - $12
1/2"x16" LONG LEATHER RIBBON MATERIAL - ? (I HAD REMINANTS THAT MATCHED THE HANDLE MATERIAL, YOU COULD ADD $12 FOR ANOTHER 42" RIBBON)

My biggest issues with this build that could be done better are:

1) I was not knowledgeable enough or patient enough to figure out how to build the raised metal ribs so i did reveals.
photo 4.JPG
it is also of note that I am missing a flare and line detail on the connection trim between the handle and hammer head but as I knew the build would not be screen accurate I did not spend a lot of time with this. I did have (2) botched attempts making this detail from PVC so I decided to go the simple route.

2) The endcap is a good representation of the Avengers hammer but far from perfect, I am always looking for a better option so suggestions are welcome.
photo 5.JPG
A material limitation forced me to move the leather loop further away from the end of the hammer then it should be, also the very end of the hammer should not have a rounded connection to the main part of the end cap

3) the hammer was about 80% foam filled with about 20% rockite. it is very solid but I wonder if more rockite or perhaps even a full rockite filled head would have yielded a even more solid end result. the hammer weighs about 3.5 lbs by my best guess, I will try to weigh it in the future. I plan to test a unfinished handle in a full rockite filled hammer head to see if the hammer head can handle the added weight, I know the metal handle will take it. I will let you know of the result when complete.
photo 2.JPG
Please let me know if you have any ideas in regard to my issues. Additionally I intend to post a more thorough process write-up detailing exactly how this was put together.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested I wanted to post a image of all of the items needed to complete this build. I am going to do another build as I wanted to improve on some of the things I did on the original build.

DSC01519.JPG

one item shown that was not in the original post or mentioned was the heavyweight black fishing line used to stitch the leather together:
DSC01522.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back