Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

I hope this ends up right in the middle of the movie poster!

standbetweenyou_zpshdxo5kfq.jpg

Minor point re: the "they look like garbage collectors" thing. That was actually the original design for the old costumes. They were supposed to look like janitors or garbage collectors, because it was supposed to be a fairly un-glamorous job. If memory serves, Winston's interview scene, where Venkman and Stanz walk in covered in goo with lit cigarettes in their mouths, complaining about the job, was basically the concept of the film expressed on screen. That's why they had the jumpsuits. They were ghost janitors, working crappy, long hours.

So, I have no real problem with the jumpsuits on these women. I don't get the stripe other than as kind of a half-hearted attempt to visually distinguish one continuity from the other or whatever, but otherwise, yeah, they look like trash collectors because they're supposed to. Just like the original crew did.

Last edited by a moderator:
They definitely look better with the high boots, but they should have tailored the legs a little more or something because, on the the two women on the left they look like they're wearing jodhpurs.

I dig the whole composed thing more than the individual parts on their own. The "balls" pic of the side of the proton pack actually made me think of a the inside of a PC tower.

Kate McKinnon's character looks fantastic though.

If this was just a sequel and not a reboot, my entire perspective on it would be reversed for the better.

EXACTLY. I'd be far more willing to give it a chance and not be NEARLY as harsh on it.
but making it a 'reboot' and TOTALLY CHANGING EVERYTHING, while seemingly doing cute 'copy nods' is disrespect.

sigh. I'm burned out on the hate by now. like what you want. i'll stick with my old stuff..

Yeah, screw it. I'm totally in.

http://i61.tinypic.com/353eesz.jpg

I don't dig most elements individually, but this shot feels like Ghostbusters overall. Dead on about the enthusiasm level if it were a sequel - I could add these people but it's hard to replace the old. It'd be great if the old guys had been sucked into another dimension shortly after GB2, and these scientists try to imitate them in 2015, picking up where they left off. Maybe they obtain some of Egon's early pack schematics. Winston could have been left behind on Earth; the new team could visit him at his crummy apartment in their research. The door would be open for Ray to be rescued in a future film, where he could explain that Spengler didn't make it. He doesn't know what happened to Venkman. The more this film apes elements of the original, the less I understand why it's separate.

So, is it the general consensus, that if this movie's story had the exact same director, exact same cast, exact same design, & exact same history at the studio, but was taking place 30 years later in a franchise branch set in another city, then most of the detractors would be on board?

:confused

As far as the sequel vs. reboot thing, I still say that we got a direct sequel, using the same actors, director, & creative team, & it wasn't that good.

Yeah, screw it. I'm totally in.

http://i61.tinypic.com/353eesz.jpg

its slowly growing on me... very slowly :D first, the cast is great! these ladies will be HILARIOUS! (as long as the script is that is...) the car... while doesn't have the character of the original its cool... not as cool though. personally it needed to be in the same timeline. Dan Akroyd should be in it... too old to continue missions but runs the company and it is franchised out, or he just needed a new crew... the original Ecto-1 is on blocks being rebuilt with no hope of ever running again and this hearse is the replacement... (we would accept this car fully if that was the case I think)

I still dig the cast and for that I think they will pull it off. Just not crazy about it being a reboot with no connection to the original crew. :(

So, is it the general consensus, that if this movie's story had the exact same director, exact same cast, exact same design, & exact same history at the studio, but was taking place 30 years later in a franchise branch set in another city, then most of the detractors would be on board?

:confused

As far as the sequel vs. reboot thing, I still say that we got a direct sequel, using the same actors, director, & creative team, & it wasn't that good.

Quite frankly, yes. Not because the film itself would be worse or better but it wouldn't be trying to replace anything. If it were a sequel it would stand on it's own merits rather than invite constant comparisons to the original.

Reboots, as much as I loathe them, make sense when there's a big change in direction. Current DC Universe is a good example as well as the new Bond films. Everything we've seen with thus is directly aping the original film, and not as good. So why the reboot? It's lazy and gets seen as stealing from and then disregarding what made the franchise in the first place.

There is no reason this film couldn't have been incorporated into the original universe. That irks a lot of people.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

So, is it the general consensus, that if this movie's story had the exact same director, exact same cast, exact same design, & exact same history at the studio, but was taking place 30 years later in a franchise branch set in another city, then most of the detractors would be on board? .

at least until the actual MOVIE came out. if it still sucked, we'd be all over it. if it where good, it'd be easier to admit it. but as a reboot, that totally ditches everything yet copies everything else badly....I can't. that would mean some terrible executive is patting themselves on the back for their grand girl idea and that I can't condone.

at least until the actual MOVIE came out. if it still sucked, we'd be all over it. if it where good, it'd be easier to admit it. but as a reboot, that totally ditches everything yet copies everything else badly....I can't. that would mean some terrible executive is patting themselves on the back for their grand girl idea and that I can't condone.

to be fair Bill Murray himself suggested the all girl character idea after constantly turning down Akroyds requests and, according to Murray, scripts Akroyd came up with that were so overly contrived and obnoxiously technical and complex.

But you're not sexist, right? :facepalm

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back