Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Re: Ghostbusters 3

Five minutes in my kitchen brainstorming out loud led me to this:

So Bill Murray isn't interested. Let Venkman have drifted away from the other three. He can have a glorified cameo, or just be mentioned by the others. Have Egon have died recently, since Harold has, and maybe they saw him at the funeral and it was awkward because they were all still into that and he just wants to move on in his life with Dana. So Winston and Ray realize they need to get some new blood in. The world has changed, though. Parapsychology is more mainstream. They wouldn't have gotten evicted from the campus these days for what they were doing -- they'd be having regular classes and lectures on it. So maybe what the Ghostbusters are now is guys who work with paranormal investigation teams and get called in when a haunting is persistent and won't yield to cleansing rituals or trying to communicate with the deceased or whatever. And the tech has gotten better and more streamlined and amplified and miniaturized over the last couple decades, too. Like the whole thing is now a sort of large bullpup handheld unit*. Something happens. Hijinks ensue.

[*This actually dates back my post-high school role-playing gaming with friends. Since Marvel published the Real Ghostbusters comic, we treated it as set in the Marvel Universe for out Marvel Super-Heroes stuff. S.H.I.E.L.D. had had enough run-ins with supernatural threats that they nationalized the Ghostbusters, Stark got his hands on the proton packs and made them faster, stronger, better... and we the players were part of a newly-formed Avengers Department 666. ;)]

So for this to be going in the direction it is is utterly unjustified. That was a couple minutes of thinking out loud. These are supposed to be professional writers, for chrissake.

--Jonah

[*This actually dates back my post-high school role-playing gaming with friends. Since Marvel published the Real Ghostbusters comic, we treated it as set in the Marvel Universe for out Marvel Super-Heroes stuff. S.H.I.E.L.D. had had enough run-ins with supernatural threats that they nationalized the Ghostbusters, Stark got his hands on the proton packs and made them faster, stronger, better... and we the players were part of a newly-formed Avengers Department 666. ;)]

I know that Marvel UK did the line in the UK, but in the US, it was NOW Comics did The Real Ghostbusters comics in the 1980s. Is that what you mean by Marvel publishing TRGB, that the Marvel UK published it?

I was confusing Now Comics with one of the imprints Marvel had for separating its non-Marvel-created properties. Yeah, I think I was conflating that mentally with Marvel UK publishing it overseas. It made sense to us at the time. :p

--Jonah

All female cast? Ha! I was one of the few who was super excited about the idea! But a reboot? That's a hard one. I guess this was made to lower expectations since having it be a reboot means more room to do something beyond the expectations of the original movies which, let's be honest, do the same exact thing. Being a big fan of continuity, I'm bummed out that the original movies won't count.

But it's still a Ghostbusters movie so let's wait and see how it pans out. I'm keeping my hopes up.

Not totally against a female team...but only as long as it focuses on the the Ghost in Ghostbusters, not the Bust.

All they had to do was set this in a different city and have it be a franchise and a lot of the complaints would have gone away. They'd still have the task of making it good but they wouldn't have to contend with this damn reboot crap.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

CelticRuins said:
Just no. Ghostbusters died with Ramis.

What does that even mean? People to this day still love Ghostbusters and I had the pleasure of seeing it in the theaters just a month ago. Ghostbusters is not dead.

CelticRuins said:
Please leave these movies alone.

Last I checked, Ghostbusters wasn't handled by George Lucas and no one has expressed any desire to alter any of the films in any way outside of cleaning them up. And since this movie is a reboot, why should that affect the originals? THEY'RE STILL AVAILABLE!

I totally agree but a lot of suits want it made so.......:unsure

What you are really agreeing with:

How dare a studio treat a franchise like a franchise! The moment one suit wants more of something, they're despicable human beings.

Franchise in a different place is an idea thats been floating for years and I agree that would be better.

But still not good. It's actually been done with other movie franchises (Major League, back to the minors is my favorite). There's actually whole pages dedicated to the "Sequels without original characters" topic. One thing they almost always have in common: direct to video films that sank like lead balloons.

All they had to do was set this in a different city and have it be a franchise and a lot of the complaints would have gone away. They'd still have the task of making it good but they wouldn't have to contend with this damn reboot crap.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

That was actually scripted into the end of the game by the writers (who happened to be Ramis and the gang) and i think it was a set up for one of the sequel stories that never took form. But this one will have hot women in tight clothes with crass humor that probably is just barely PG 13 and will do well because nobody bothered to raise their kids on old movies. Honestly I'd kinda like to disown GB 2 also but there's no escaping it.

Are there any other 80s movies that have been rebooted and managed to have a successfull long run by virtue of theatrical sequels?

I've found that a lot of the 80s TV shows that got movie reboots only had a single theatrical movie, and then commonly have direct to dvd sequels.

I can't think of a 80s movie off the top of my head thats had a successful reboot and then had multiple sequels or continuations that haven't gone straight to dvd.

Five minutes in my kitchen brainstorming out loud led me to this:

So Bill Murray isn't interested. Let Venkman have drifted away from the other three. He can have a glorified cameo, or just be mentioned by the others. Have Egon have died recently, since Harold has, and maybe they saw him at the funeral and it was awkward because they were all still into that and he just wants to move on in his life with Dana. So Winston and Ray realize they need to get some new blood in. The world has changed, though. Parapsychology is more mainstream. They wouldn't have gotten evicted from the campus these days for what they were doing -- they'd be having regular classes and lectures on it. So maybe what the Ghostbusters are now is guys who work with paranormal investigation teams and get called in when a haunting is persistent and won't yield to cleansing rituals or trying to communicate with the deceased or whatever. And the tech has gotten better and more streamlined and amplified and miniaturized over the last couple decades, too. Like the whole thing is now a sort of large bullpup handheld unit*. Something happens. Hijinks ensue.

So for this to be going in the direction it is is utterly unjustified. That was a couple minutes of thinking out loud. These are supposed to be professional writers, for chrissake.

--Jonah

Your idea is great, this is exactly what type of idea they should be doing. Continue on from what has happened and just use the previous movies as a base to continue.

I don't see why they have to reboot. They can still use new actors, but at least acknowledge the past, and they can still use Winston and Ray and Venkman if Murray wanted to do it.

While Ghostbusters was a comedy, it still had lots of creepy moments and supernatural scenes.

Going out for an all out comedy with an all female cast is what it seems they are intending to do.

The very fact they premise of a reboot is "Ghostbusters, but we'll use only women" shows a distinct lack of writing and creativity. I'm positive that when they wrote "Ghostbusters" that at no time the script was going to be described as "only guys fighting ghosts" No, they wrote a damn funny and imaginative script that has become an iconic classic. When you try to feminize something just for the sake of feminizing it, then you've lost any credibility.

Funny is gender neutral, I'll pass on the piece of **** remake.

When you try to feminize something just for the sake of feminizing it, then you've lost any credibility.

Funny is gender neutral, I'll pass on the piece of **** remake.

Irony. You declare that this film lacks any credibility yet you stand by your judgement that it's a "piece of **** remake". What credible sources do you have that says the movie is going to be bad? If 'funny' is gender neutral, why does having the new team be all female bother you? Last I checked, the writers of the original film did decide that the Ghostbusters should all be male, and that the female roles should be given in the stereotypical manner (Jenine is the secretary and Dana is the hopeless damsel). If gender isn't an issue when it comes to humor, this could still be a very funny movie.

We obviously still have a long way to go if one's gender is used as the sole argument for lack of creativity. Male or female, we're all people in end. Only reason I make a big deal about female representation is because women are still under-represented in the entertainment medium and bigoted posts like these. Next time Kerr, I recommend holding off on judging a product on terms that you yourself stated shouldn't matter.

Eff it. Bring these guys back. They were first, had a ghost logo, a ghost busting car and they had a better song.

The_Ghost_Busters_%28TV_series%29_cast_photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back