Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Re: Ghostbusters 3

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but women are just not as funny as guys. It won't work.
I guess you need to watch more TV shows/movies that involve women as central characters. If you had said some women (perhaps even with examples) are not as funny as guys, that would seem more relatable. Just like there are many guy comedians that some wouldn't find really funny either. But I do agree that there are far less female comedians compared to men.

There are many reasons this movie might fail, but to say it's cause women aren't as funny as men is pretty shortsighted. Comedy isn't restrictive due to gender, it's more to do with the individual, their personality and comic timing among other things.

I guess you need to watch more TV shows/movies that involve women as central characters. If you had said some women (perhaps even with examples) are not as funny as guys, that would seem more relatable. Just like there are many guy comedians that some wouldn't find really funny either. But I do agree that there are far less female comedians compared to men.

There are many reasons this movie might fail, but to say it's cause women aren't as funny as men is pretty shortsighted. Comedy isn't restrictive due to gender, it's more to do with the individual, their personality and comic timing among other things.
Yes, I see your point and I should of been a bit more expansive in my statement. I think I can just relate to comedy being performed by a male rather than a female. For that reason the new GB film won't really work for me personally.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but women are just not as funny as guys. It won't work.

I would just say Ghostbusters isn't Ghostbusters without the Ghostbusters in it. Let's do Indiana Jones next, but without Indy at all.

I'll tell you which women would work in a Ghostbusters movie.

Those 3 girls from the cancelled tv show "happy endings", the one that starred damon wayons jr,

Looks like the GB trilogy to me is 1,2, and the game. At least it had the original cast, even if Bill did phone in his voice acting. Sadly this is going to be a hit with younger viewers that hate anything older than they are.

I'll tell you which women would work in a Ghostbusters movie.

Those 3 girls from the cancelled tv show "happy endings", the one that starred damon wayons jr,
That was a very funny show, too bad they didn't renew it. Casey Wilson was my favourite among the three. But I was glad to see Damon become a regular on New Girl, while Adam Pally joined The Mindy Project.

I would just say Ghostbusters isn't Ghostbusters without the Ghostbusters in it. Let's do Indiana Jones next, but without Indy at all.

Just make Indy a woman! Problem solved!!

Orrrrrrrrr....you could create a NEW character with a DIFFERENT background who does SIMILAR things but not IDENTICAL ones. Like, I don't know, pillaging crypts, or invading ruins or...something. We can figure out a name later.

I think we're going to get one of two things with this reboot, one is a complete copy of the original movie but with the GB team played by women. This is going to suck because it won't do anything for the franchise and nobody wants to see an exact copy but with a change in gender.

The second possibility will be something so different that it will be virtually unrecognizable as Ghostbusters. About all they'll have in common with the originals is the name, maybe the character names, and the very, very simplest base element of the original concept/plot.

It's likely the second possibility you mentioned.

EW: It’s such a beloved property, do you have any nerves going forward? There’s probably always going to be someone for whom it doesn’t live up to expectations…

Paul Feig: Look, if you go into any project without nerves you’re going to to make a bad project. If you walk into a project going, I’m going to f–ing ace this, then expect the worst. At the end of the day, all we want to make is a great movie and people are going to attach a lot of energy to either being nervous about this or being excited about it, and all Katie and I and the rest of the team, who we slowly assemble, can do is just make a great movie that’s super funny, that’s scary, that’s real, that has great characters that people identify with and want to see in these situations. It’s a world that they’ve experienced before in the old ones, but the hope is the minute they sit down they’ll go, “I love the old one, oh my god, I’m loving this new one.” Everything’s got to live on it’s own merits. It would be terrible if we just go, oh we’re just doing an update where we use the same dynamic and scripts. If we just flop four women into the exact same personalities and roles as original, then that’s lazy filmmaking on my behalf, and who wants to see that? I don’t want to do a shot by shot update of a movie that existed. It’s the difficult thing about remaking a great movie. So that’s why we’re not remaking a great movie. We’re doing our take on it.

Orrrrrrrrr....you could create a NEW character with a DIFFERENT background who does SIMILAR things but not IDENTICAL ones. Like, I don't know, pillaging crypts, or invading ruins or...something. We can figure out a name later.

I think you're on to something! :D

Paul Feig: So that’s why we’re not remaking a great movie. We’re doing our take on it.

Let's see what others have done doing "their take":

movie_23392.jpg catwoman_verdvd1.jpg

I think we're going to get one of two things with this reboot, one is a complete copy of the original movie but with the GB team played by women. This is going to suck because it won't do anything for the franchise and nobody wants to see an exact copy but with a change in gender.

The second possibility will be something so different that it will be virtually unrecognizable as Ghostbusters. About all they'll have in common with the originals is the name, maybe the character names, and the very, very simplest base element of the original concept/plot.

Which raises the question of

WHY DO A REBOOT IN THE FIRST ****ING PLACE?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is why I find so many of the reboots/remakes to be pointless. If you go too close to the original, what's the point? Just watch the original. If you go too far away, what's the point? Just make a new movie.

But, no, Hollywood is convinced that if you slap a brand name on it, idiots will flock to the theater because DURR HURR ITS GURSTBARSTARS!!!11!!

Which raises the question of

WHY DO A REBOOT IN THE FIRST ****ING PLACE?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is why I find so many of the reboots/remakes to be pointless. If you go too close to the original, what's the point? Just watch the original. If you go too far away, what's the point? Just make a new movie.

But, no, Hollywood is convinced that if you slap a brand name on it, idiots will flock to the theater because DURR HURR ITS GURSTBARSTARS!!!11!!

The problem is that idiots keep proving Hollywood right.

The problem is that idiots keep proving Hollywood right.

True, but I question how long that can last.

I actually kinda hope this film just totally tanks at the box office, if only to put a dent in the notion that crass, manipulative branding is all you really need to succeed.

True, but I question how long that can last.

I actually kinda hope this film just totally tanks at the box office, if only to put a dent in the notion that crass, manipulative branding is all you really need to succeed.

This is where I've been for a while now. Franchises I've loved in the past- I just keep hoping they'll tank when they reboot them. If I've learned one thing about Hollywood, it's that they need a pretty clear indicator that they are losing their audience.

I have no problem with reboots, as long they're done with at least 20 years between the reboot and the original and they stay faithful to the original while at the same time updating it. Some movies, while enjoyable, are very much a product of their times either in terms of the acting or the effects, or a combination but the story/plot itself is solid and so could do with a remake/reboot to update and bring it to a new audience. A good example of this would the movie Zulu (starring young Michael Caine), I love the movie but if you showed it to a modern audience most of them would laugh at it because of the slow, clutching their chests as they're dieing method of acting and the fake blood looked really fake and it was a very light telling of a major battle in the Zulu Wars. A movie like that could totally do with a remake or reboot and potentially turn out to be better than the original.

To me, the hate against remakes/reboots are like the arguments that I constantly see here about how CG sucks. Just like there's good CG and there's bad CG, there's good remakes/reboots and there's bad remakes/reboots. I also laugh at all of the criticism of this practice like it's something new, Hollywood has been doing this for decades and I know that there are popular or beloved movies that are actually remakes of an older movie. Now I'm not saying that this Ghostbusters remake is necessarily going to be any good but just because it's a reboot doesn't mean that it's automatically going to suck. Based on what we've been told about this reboot so far I would say that this is going to fall into the sucky category but that's based on the suggested premise and not the fact that it's a reboot.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back