Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Re: Ghostbusters 3

So with this recent news I am 100% all-in with leaving the 2 films that were out alone and just lay it to rest.

I cannot see anything good come of this. It just reads like a really bad spoof movie now.

No, Thanks. Ramis must be facepalming up there right now.

Here's the thing. I've heard Bridesmaids is really good and funny. And that's great. The Heat looked kinda lame, but whatever. But simply mapping that dynamic on top of the Ghostbusters IP just strikes me as, well, lazy. If it's funny, it wouldn't be because of the ghost-busting activities of these people. It'd just be these actresses doing their schtick in a Ghostbusters setting.

Ultimately, this is my problem with reboots and remakes. To the extent these films succeed at all, it is in spite of the IP to which they're attached. If anything, the IP acts as a millstone round the neck of the whole creative process. You have to write everything to the IP, instead of just allowing the story to grow organically. You have to make the material fresh, but still familiar, which is a damn-near-impossible task. It either feels like lukewarm microwaved leftovers, or it feels so different that there's really no reason to use the IP at all in the first place, except for obvious manipulative marketing.

What made the first Ghostbusters work is the same thing that probably made Bridesmaids work, and The Hangover 1, and other similar films: the story and the humor were organic to each other.

With this, I just see the following goal: "Write a Ghostbusters movie that isn't the same Ghostbusters movie we've seen, but follows the same plot points without reusing the same jokes and which isn't so different that it's unrecognizable but isn't so familiar that it's a shot-for-shot remake."

And the solution?

"They're CHICKS!!!"

I see this as being laced with the crude sexual humor of today and at least one period joke.
Women on team, yes. NORMAL women. no goths. ALL women team? Reboot? no. SICK AND TIRED of reboots.

Dragonball Z did it right. they started the series with goku and gang as kids, and ended it when they where all 70+. no reboots. end of one great story.

Thank you bill murray for screwing it up. we could have passed the torch long ago, or you could have sold your rights if you didn't care.

harold Ramis has a message for Mr.Fieg ...warning. it's a tad profane but I think it's funny ;o)

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net...2_10152723943870211_8135058876655504891_o.jpg

Is Fieg even a ghostbusters fan, or like Bay, does he just not care about the franchises he takes on?

Normally I don't have any against reboots and remakes, esp. when it's been over 20 years since the original first came out but in this case I can't say that I'm excited about it. It just sounds stupid, let's remake Ghostbusters but with girls! Although Feig says he came up with the idea for the change it reeks of studio meddling to me, this idea sounds exactly like the kind of hare brained idea that you expect boardroom execs to come up with. I wouldn't be surprised if the way it really went down is that Feig, when approached by the studio, suggested a few things but were axed by the studio and they in turn said they wanted something new, different, and fresh at which time Feig came up with the idea of making it an all female primary cast (possibly half jokingly) to which the studio replied that they loved the idea and had him go forward with this idea.

Here's the thing. I've heard Bridesmaids is really good and funny. And that's great. The Heat looked kinda lame, but whatever. But simply mapping that dynamic on top of the Ghostbusters IP just strikes me as, well, lazy. If it's funny, it wouldn't be because of the ghost-busting activities of these people. It'd just be these actresses doing their schtick in a Ghostbusters setting.

Ultimately, this is my problem with reboots and remakes. To the extent these films succeed at all, it is in spite of the IP to which they're attached. If anything, the IP acts as a millstone round the neck of the whole creative process. You have to write everything to the IP, instead of just allowing the story to grow organically. You have to make the material fresh, but still familiar, which is a damn-near-impossible task. It either feels like lukewarm microwaved leftovers, or it feels so different that there's really no reason to use the IP at all in the first place, except for obvious manipulative marketing.

What made the first Ghostbusters work is the same thing that probably made Bridesmaids work, and The Hangover 1, and other similar films: the story and the humor were organic to each other.

With this, I just see the following goal: "Write a Ghostbusters movie that isn't the same Ghostbusters movie we've seen, but follows the same plot points without reusing the same jokes and which isn't so different that it's unrecognizable but isn't so familiar that it's a shot-for-shot remake."

And the solution?

"They're CHICKS!!!"

I heard that, too. It came on HBO and I though, it's good, why not....well, WRONG. It was terrible. Kept hearing how funny it was and I didn't laugh at all. Turned it off after 30-40 minutes. I'd have walked out of a theater at that point too. It might have appealed to 12 year olds, but that's about it.

I've come to actually not really like a lot of the comedies that are out there. They seem crafted more for quoting after the fact than for humor in the moment. Sometimes they're good (e.g., Anchorman, Tropic Thunder, Forgetting Sarah Marshall), but when that happens, it's because the film feels...I dunno. Grounded in its own reality, I guess. It's not a vehicle for these comedians to do schtick, and especially the same schtick you've seen several times before. But so much of what seems to be modern comedy appears to just be the same people doing the same things over and over again, just with a different backdrop.

You never know until you see it, but I also can't predict a bright future for this project. As Solo said above, this idea seems likely to be little more than a vehicle for Mary McCarthy and others to do their schtick with little interest in it actually being a Ghostbusters flik in the tradition of the originals.

Another one down, boys.

"I want the technology to be even cooler."

Dude, just aim for cool. Good luck beating a proton pack. :facepalm

I hear JJ is going to aim for something cooler than a lightsaber....:lol

Anytime you hear 'Sony' and 'reboot' in the same sentence, you should just run for the hills. Feig does sound like he wants to respect the original movies, but why can't I shake the feeling that this is going to turn into Bridesmaids with proton packs?

Anytime you hear 'Sony' and 'reboot' in the same sentence, you should just run for the hills. Feig does sound like he wants to respect the original movies, but why can't I shake the feeling that this is going to turn into Bridesmaids with proton packs?

Probably because, at least based on what I've read, that's what he's described it as.

I'm just hating that now when I tell people I like Ghostbusters I'm going to have to specify which one... :angry:thumbsdown

I'm just hating that now when I tell people I like Ghostbusters I'm going to have to specify which one... :angry:thumbsdown

To be fair, there were two different franchises called Ghostbusters. There was the 1970s TV show, that spawned off its own cartoon series (primarily because of how popular the movie Ghostbusters was). So, if they're asking that question, they're probably wondering if you mean the Ghosbusters film (that spawned The Real Ghostbusters cartoon series, and everything else related to both) or if you meant the TV show that spawned the Filmation cartoon series.

If that's not what you mean by when people ask to specify which one, I apologize for the confusion and disregard this reply.

To be fair, there were two different franchises called Ghostbusters. There was the 1970s TV show, that spawned off its own cartoon series (primarily because of how popular the movie Ghostbusters was). So, if they're asking that question, they're probably wondering if you mean the Ghosbusters film (that spawned The Real Ghostbusters cartoon series, and everything else related to both) or if you meant the TV show that spawned the Filmation cartoon series.

If that's not what you mean by when people ask to specify which one, I apologize for the confusion and disregard this reply.

Lol. Not sure if serious but the common public generally only think of our boys with the proton packs when you say Ghostbusters. After this film there will be a set of girls with proton packs also called the "Ghostbusters".

That's the differentiation I'll have to make.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

On the one hand, I think the Galactica reboot was a lot better than the original (sorry, I grew up with it and loved it too, the theme song brings a tear to my eye and it will always have a special place in my nerdy heart, but it hasn't aged well at all).

On the other hand, Ghostbusters HAS aged well. Aside from a few rough effects and the grainy 80's film stock it still holds up... and still stands as one of the greatest comedies ever filmed.

After the hoopla they made about the 30th anniversary, to do a reboot and completely cut out any ties to the original is a slap in the face to Ghosbusters fans.

I've never written to a film studio before... but I may just do so in protest of this. Yes, I can choose to ignore the reboot movie, but it will sully the name of the old ones and confuse all younger generations.

1654254_10152307722877714_8568945307180064320_n.jpg

Lol. Not sure if serious but the common public generally only think of our boys with the proton packs when you say Ghostbusters. After this film there will be a set of girls with proton packs also called the "Ghostbusters".

That's the differentiation I'll have to make.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2
First world problems?

Pretty damn amazing how just a single word can make you lose any and all interest: reboot
Well done, idiots in charge. :facepalm *slowclap*

And the solution?

"They're CHICKS!!!"

I enjoyed Bridesmaids, but there was absolutely nothing groundbreaking about it. Girl is lonely and struggling professionally. Her best friend is getting married to go live perfect life with new rich friends.

If you don't know pretty much the entire story from those two sentences, then you just don't watch movies. Did you guess that by the end she's found love of her own and a whole new direction for professional life? That the wedding happened and all became friends in spite of whacky hijinks?

If you did, you were right.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed it. I like whacky hijinks. I'm that kind of guy.

But it was lazy. The Heat, on the other hand, seemed to take that laziness to new levels. Many enjoyed it. My parents loved it apparently. I thought it couldn't be more pre-packaged formula if they'd managed to buy freeze dried movies (just add water).

See their both cops! Only one plays by the rules, and the other is a maverick! And they team up!

I couldn't even finish it. And that's how I see this remake. That's the whole idea? It's different because their girls, And this being 1960 that's a whole new idea apparently.

bear in mind, I'm prejudiced against reboots on general principles. It's hard to go in expecting you to be more creative than the original, if you couldn't come up with your own idea to start with.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back