Star Wars Episode VII Stormtrooper Pics

I honestly dont think they are going have the damn mic tip. I think what actually happened is that the first image that came out ( the one where we see the mic tip, that predominantly shows the left side of the helmet) was just a really well rendered piece of concept art that didnt make it in to the final design. Later we got the picture of the actual prop ( similar in appearance but definitely different) from the right side. People then went on to speculate that the two images are of the same design and came to the conclusion that the helmet will be asymmetrical. However I doubt they are going to ruin the look with such a thing. The empire is known for looking sharp, menacing, sterile, emotionless, rigid, etc... One of the key elements of design to achieve this look is symmetry. Keep in mind this is just my opinion as an artist who works in the entertainment industry ( Marvel entertainment, DC comics, etc..) and a life time fan of the Star Wars franchise. My prediction stands still stands by the last piece I painted ( based on what's been officially shown so far) trooper_prediction_01.jpg

Last edited:
That was my thinking and my argument exactly. As a working commercial artist for the past 25 years, I thought that the version you painted and I sculpted (same visual, different medium) was a logical evolution of the forms and is what made the most sense.... Aaaand then I remembered that it's Abrams we're talking about and that sensible visual design was not going to have anything to do with it. For all we know he put Hello Kitty keychains on the side of their helmets and made the back a featureless orb so that they all looked like Humpty Dumpty in armor.

They left out major signatures of the trooper helmets, the large bulbous forms/side tubes where the mic tips reside, as well as the black vococoder. From the mid point down the new helmets look horrible, such a shame.

This is my favorite image of the OT troopers, much more menacing than these Trontroopers.

7865258_orig.jpg

But developed tech is not very Star Wars. It is set in a galaxy where the level of technology has pretty much stagnated.
The Empire's might comes more from their resources than any technological prowess.

I would say the Death Stars are a pretty impressive bit of tech. Anyway, I'm accepting of the new look simply because we've never known what the GFFA looks like 30 years later. Most of what I think "looks" like SW is based on what we saw in the OT but now we are moving into uncharted waters. I didn't think the PT looked very "Star Warsy" either but it is what it is.

I'm curious to extrapolate an evolutionary reasoning. So far we have:

• Thousands of years ago: T-shaped visors were the norm, for whatever reason, on a large scale. The Mandalore's mask had one 4,000 years ago. Neo-Crusaders over the next few decades had them, too. The other bookend on this era, so far, is the Old Republic MMO, where we see Republic troopers with T-visors, and generic "bounty hunter" armor with one, too, that looks like a definite antecedant to movie-era Mandalorian armor.

• ~25 years ago: The clone army was, according to Lama Su, "for the Republic". The helmet shape, at the time of the movie's release, was speculated to be derived from Jango's Mandalorian helmet, but what if it instead was a newer and more refined version of the Republic troops' gear from when the Republic still had a standing military? And that both their appearance and Jango's Mandalorian design had their roots in what we saw in TOR?

• The exigencies of war demonstrated some sort of shortcomings in the Phase I design and within a couple years, bulkier helmets had shown up with expanded peripheral sensors and some sort of enlarged/increased air-filtration/internal air supply equipment (Phase II). There were also a good half-dozen or more distinct helmet variants for the evolving need for more specialized kit for varying combat environments.

• Over the next couple decades, the design was refined and expanded further in a streamlining attempt to reduce the number of unique pieces of equipment, each of which required its own parts store to maintain. By the time of the Battle of Yavin, pilots and armored-vehicle operators within the Stormtrooper Corps all had the same faceplate as their infantry brothers, for ease of maintenance and simplification of parts inventories. Light Infantry, Commandos, and Force Recon also had their helmets merged into a more-narrowly-related family. The most distinctive outlier was the "Extreme Environment, Low Temperature" helmet, which still had a lot of similarities to the helmet in use by the Imperial Starfleet's ground forces (and probably a derivative of the AT-DP helmet in Rebels).

• Somewhere over the next couple decades, the solutions to the problems with the Phase I helmets had been streamlined enough to be less obtrusive. Visual and nonvisual sensors were better integrated, air-filtration systems had been improved enough that less on-board Oxygen was needed, and what was carried on-board didn't need to be supplemented by external feed (improved rebreathers?), so the chin connectors were eliminated, and the troopers are back to looking like updated versions of the old Republic troopers of the Great Galactic War, or the more streamlined Phase I troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic who later became the first Imperial Stormtroopers.

Those of you familiar with Warhammer 40,000 probably know of the similar armor evolution from the Mark II "Crusade" suit to the Mark IV "Imperial Maximus" suit to the slapped together Mark V "Heresy" suit to the more advanced and largely-parts-interchagable Marks VI "Corvus, VII "Aquila", and VIII "Errant". It had evolved over a couple centuries to a very refined design, but then civil war exposed flaws in the design, mainly its complexity and refinement meant parts were scarce, repairs were time-consuming or impossible, and stopgaps were needed. The Mark V used a lot of the heavy armor developed for vessel-boarding and very simple systems. Later, as manufacturing was able to incorporate lessons learned and catch up with production again, the new variants were introduced nearly simultaneously, and were more "on the fly" minor fixes, or optional extras, or "hey, let's see how this works in the field", and years later most troops wear armor that is a mix of all three to one degree or another, depending on a particular Chapter's character or freedom for troops to individualize/optimize, or how far they are from resupply and the need to cannibalize to keep things running.

Even today, the military often uses what we would consider "obsolete" tech because the bigger components are easier to see, isolate, and swap out when in the field. So even if technology has only enjoyed the odd tweak or refinement here and there over the last several millennia in the Star Wars galaxy, what gets used where when can be very fluid. There can be a lag of years or decades, depending on many factors, between when a need is filled with what is currently easily available and when engineers have been able to refine/amplify/miniaturize that widget to be more convenient and less obtrusive. I'm willing to bet that, while the commonality of the Stortmrooper faceplate made stocking spare parts easier, fixing or replacing individual components inside it was probably very fiddly -- and that this new Stormtrooper helmet has much more "all-in-one" components replacing whole subassemblies that can be swapped out quite easily by the troopers themselves.

--Jonah

I like the idea of design evolution over the movies. If nothing changed at all, then the look of things would get boring. Someone in the universe has to be making new stuff, otherwise the plucky underdogs won't have to cobble together old tech to combat it.

I have a question: When were OT X-Wings (Y-Wings, etc) brand new? I always figured the Rebellion used slightly older models, the best they could get their hands on. So I had hoped to see fresh-off-the-assembly-line shiny X-Wings in Ep III.

We see shiny new Y-Wings with all the ir hull plating on early in the Clone Wars series, so about a year into the conflict. The ones the Rebels are using are later models than those, but not too much so. We also see Z-95 Headhunters in Clone Wars later on, though the lore on that craft has it being decades old if not older. Early-production versions were trans-atmospheric craft with swing wings, bubble canopies, and triple blasters in each wing. By the time we get to the Clone Wars, late in their production run, they looked a lot like non-split-wing X-Wings, with a few other cosmetic differences. Single laser cannon on each wingtip, etc. The same company made the ARC-170 heavy-assault fighters for the Grand Army, with winglets splitting off from the main wing in attach configuration to better radiate heat from engines and shield generators while still providing some armor protection. That feature, and all the best aspects of the Z-95's evolution, Incom incorporated into their T-65 design, but the new Empire didn't go for it. Rather than just become a subsidiary of Sienar and make TIEs, the entire design team defected to the Rebellion and took the schematics and prototypes with them. By the time of Star Wars, those X-Wings are probably a good five to ten years old, easy.

Some of this is canon, some "Legends", but for backstory stuff like that, I tend to take the stance of "canon until it's not", since Rebels and the new films are all being made by fanboys who know the EU. ;)

--Jonah

To clarify, by "not finished" I meant the "mouth" with no mic tips. I like the rest of the helmet, it's just the lack of detail in that area kills the whole thing for me.

Hey guys,
Animefan confirmed from "source" in his thread that the helmet had mics (of course, it helps his run) .. STILL I always thought it looked much better with a mic tips anyway .. whether it's only on the infamous left side.

That being said .. found this today .. thought it was a pretty good render from Vittorio Silini. Love the shape in general .. seems really well designed to me. The eyes have something wrong though.
http://www.artstation.com/artwork/stormtroopers-a77ebcc0-dc68-46c6-b5f5-e1cae8fed9ac

vittorio-silini-stormtroopers.jpg
vittorio-silini-stormtroopers2.jpg

Oh I agree though I much prefer the original helmet!!

I still won't buy this! Don't see the pt until we have a real shot at the helmet!! Right now it's all speculation on the shape and details ...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back