Farscape DRD Sculpt 1:1

IMG_20140925_012545.jpg

I thought the "feet" just trimmed the edge.

They do on the ones with wheels but there were a few specialty ones with full bases they used when they needed to show the bottoms. The intent was the DRDs had a sheet of motile cilia on the bottom that would move in waves for motion and adhesion to vertical surfaces.

The intent was the DRDs had a sheet of motile cilia on the bottom that would move in waves for motion and adhesion to vertical surfaces.
And that right there is my problem. I watch the show over and over. Sometimes I watch to examine the props and sometimes (most of the time) to watch the story. I really need to learn how to do both simultaneously

great build !... Ive been tinkering with the idea of one of these for a while now and its only as I really went into it I realised how particularly hard accuracy of the main shell would be ...this ones looking really nice !
... One stupid idea Ive always had in mind specifically for a DRD is to outfit one with the guts of one of those 'REAL ROBOTS' cybots that came in parts on a magazine a few years back ... later versions had the ability for some degree of autonomy AND RC or infra red control ..... basically I just have this image of driving one under the tables at a con and repeatedly ramming Ben Browder or Claudia Black in the ankle with it !....( just my warped sense of humour ! ) :p
( Ive actually since been told by a friend that supposedly knows that the cybot mech wouldnt take much weight at all )
Full runs of the mags with half built robots are around still ... fleabay? (I have no idea if this mag came out in the states ... we had it in the UK )
:)

this is so funny to read . I actually made those years ago when I still work for Henson's. ( it was the last show I did there) I wish I could show you some photographs but unfortunately I never took any . I also made the Moya prototype for the show pitch I do have photos of that somewhere. as for the little silicone feet, I drilled 3mm hole in a sheet of perspex and fabricated the mold. interesting fact I made the vac form pattern internal so you sucked the ABS in rather than over. This meant you got sharper edges where you would least expect them so it did look to much like a vac form. also you could throw sand in the mould to get a corroded looks. they where all made in red ABS because they where going to be red, then painted yellow when they got to OZ (art directors call) . good luck with your project . I'd like to see it finished.

Last edited:
flimzy, that's awesome! I knew there were vacc'd but it's cool to hear confirmation. I've stared at the DRD's for way too long and they always struck me as way more complicated to produce then they initially seem which is why no one's really succeeded in making a good replica yet.

I got a sketch from one one of the concept designer, so had a free hand to make it up. I had been ask for the ability to make multiples maybe 50 but I think i only ever made 20. the RC was put together by Jamie Jackson More. to was just a tamiya kit screwed to a aluminium plate but with the steering wheels placed one forward and one at the back. In the original script the pilot was huge the size of a house and hundred of these things shot around on tracks but i think that changed ( sorry I've never watched the show ) I was asked to go to OZ to shoot all the ships a miniatures but the budget was cut and it all became CG.farscape drd 2.jpgfarscape dro.jpgMoya concept.jpg

the pattern was made in jellyton ( little bit of body filler :) to get the detail I vac formed 3mm ABS over the buck cutting out the parts I wanted then vac formed over it again. this give you clean panel lines. once I had all the peaces I wanted I moulded them in devcon metal epoxy this made the moulds last for multiple pulls. As they where reverse moods. (i.e. i was sucking in to them) i didn't need a positive then negative mould. you can see if you look close the red ABS . I have to admit I'm glad they changed them to yellow i didn't like the red much. the polaroids are of Moya before it went CG

That Moya concept looks really cool, thanks for sharing the pics!

For a long time I thought the across the top "part 2" you labeled was a seperate piece and the whole DRD was cobbled together from multiple overlapping vacced plates but that seemed like a lot of work and too difficult to get to line up correctly. This picture:
DRD_000.jpg

made me think it could have all be done as a one piece shell with the forward and rear add-on plates but the edges of "part 2" still seemed too deep and well defined so I wasn't sure.

Fantastic to hear from the original creator! I LOVE THIS FORUM!

flimzy, would this happen to be the original mechanical arm?

Attachments

• DRD arm 65722.jpg
    DRD arm 65722.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 150
Oh interesting to see how it's coming together, looks fantastic!

First idea that popped to my head was how cool would it be to built one over one of those roomba bots, so you'd have self managing DRD going on and about the house, doing their thing... maybe screen accuracy would suffer, but might be amusing when one of them comes around the corner when you least expect, and kudos to any guests who recognizes it

Fantastic to hear from the original creator! I LOVE THIS FORUM!

flimzy, would this happen to be the original mechanical arm?
yes that looks like the hero one the arm was belt driven and made by Jamie . this is all a bit nostalgic :) funny I never watched the show. when they went off to OZ I stayed back in the UK to Set design a Henson kids tv show Constuction site which no one ever saw .

That Moya concept looks really cool, thanks for sharing the pics!

For a long time I thought the across the top "part 2" you labeled was a seperate piece and the whole DRD was cobbled together from multiple overlapping vacced plates but that seemed like a lot of work and too difficult to get to line up correctly. This picture:

yes it was in 2 peaces, each peace was at the limit of its pull tolerance . but the advantage of doing it this way was where the seams met is where the ABS was at its thinnest so when you glued the 2 halts together the hole thing became very strong, which is what you need for TV shows. I was the go to person at Hensons for Vac forming because I was the first person to vac form my cores . this one is from babe but I started way back on Dinosaurs the TV show.babe 1.jpg

Flimzy, I am so happy to get feedback and insight from you! Thank you! Can you go into more detail on the eye stalks that you labeled "Modifide mag lights fast cast detail"? Do you remember what mag light was used, and what do you mean by fast cast detail? Thank you again for your input it is VERY helpful.

We used a 2 cell AA Maglight head but we turned up our own aluminium outer shell detail then cast that in fast cast ( smoothen plastic) as for the stalks they where gas hose over armature wire so we could bend them in to a pose with a servo turning them at the base.
there was supposed to be another set of eyes at the back that looked like they where retraced
the idea being that the droid was multi directional. the eye stalks popping up depending on which direction it was driving but I think who ever was looking after them in OZ never put the detail on. you can see where they where supposed to go.

Updates? This is a great project and one of the posts I look forward to reading each week. BLOWN AWAY that "flimzy" actually jumped in this thread to help. Hoping to get a copy once all the details are worked out!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back