Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord jacket - standard leather jacket modifications

ob1al

Sr Member
Hi guys, long time no speak....

I've just got a Star Lord leather jacket - size L which fits a 44 chest perfectly BTW - nice looking jacket for everyday wear with a pair of jeans etc.

However, I have a few questions.

Have we 'defined' the (currently available FJ etc) short jacket yet? I know the model out there at the moment isn't screen accurate.

What about the 'patch' on the arm, which isnt there on the replicas?

What else can be modified?

Let's pin this one down.

Al

Last edited:
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Star Lord jacket - modifications?

I'm going to document in my thread all the changes I make, including the arm straps, patch, weathering, etc.

I look forward to reading your posts Kevin.

I've investigated a few very simple mods today, the easiest being to simply tuck the arm straps back into the 'buckle'. Star Lord's jacket does not have belt straps hanging from the arms. OK, there aren't buckles either but as a super quick fix, it looks better straight away.

The next thing I need to do is secure the 'side flaps' down - as all owners of this jacket will know, there isn't a second 'male' part to the press studs on the bottom of the flaps.

I took it to a local tailor and they recommended that installing the lower half of the press stud would be very difficult, as finding an exact match would be hard. They recommended that they open up the jacket lining and go over the stitching around the press stud area instead. Unless a better solution presents itself, they are doing that for me next week. I don't like the flappy-flaps.

I seriously condiered using some self-adhesive velcro strips or buttons on the lower half of the flaps, in fact this may work for a costuming piece - however, as a daily wear jacket, I had to rule it out.

The third area that bugs me are the vents beow the shoulders. They tend to hand open a little and you move - it's not actually a bad look, but its not screen accurate. The best solution I csn think of is to have the vents sewn shut. My tailor tells me it wont effect the movement of the jacket at all.

Might be a silly request, but any chance you could photograph the areas in question that you're discussing? I don't have my own jacket yet, so I'm having a hard time following a lot of what you're talking about changing.

Sorry - yeah I can Ein, no probs. I have a terminal curse called iphonechargeritis - my kids keep stealing all the chargers in the house and I'm always left without one, ergo no functional phone/camera...the good news is, I embarked on a recon mission to youngests room half an hour ago and phone is currently repowering! So yeah - give me a few minutes.

Here you go - here's the 'vent' below the shoulder, which needs to be closed:

photo 1.JPG

Here's the lack of popper on the jacket, meaning the flaps dont cling to the jacket like they should:

photo 2.JPG

And finally, the easy fix - tuck the end of the leather strap back into the buckle to get rid of the dangly bit - still not screen accurate as the actual jacket has a fabric piece here rather than a metal buckle, but it's much better:

photo 3.JPG

Well, just a quick follow-up in case anybody with the jacket is thinking of doing the same thing and unsure as to how it will turn out..

I had a local tailor sew down the side-flaps AND the vents on my jacket and it's worked perfectly. It doesnt affect the movement of the jacket and it looks loads better. No more annoying flapping parts or sticky-out vents when wearing it.

Glad to know that worked out! Mind sharing pics??

Aeric

I plan on getting this jacket, soon, and have questions regarding how to get the texturing on the leather, as seen in this photo;
Guardians of the Galaxy Chris Pratt Jacket TEXTURE DETAIL.jpg ......I have a whole cow hide to build the trench coat; Star Lord's Trench Coat.JPG But one thing at a time - Does anyone know what that texturing- technique is called so I can Google it? Also, what the heck is that thing on his elbow? a water bed nozzle? Something off of a Zodiac raft?

Last edited:

annoted.jpg

Here you go - all simple mods but I think the standard jacket looks a lot better.

As well as tacking down the flappy-bits, I also removed the wierd stick-tape/glue reside from under all the seams and soaked the arms in warm water until the leather was saturated, then wore the jacket out in the sun. This has weathered the arms to my liking and also slightly form fitted the lower arms and sleeve length too.

Huh. I'd be nervous as hell about getting the jacket wet but it does seem to have done some good things. Maybe I'll have to give that a go.

Don't be nervous about getting the jacket wet.

It's leather and it can take it.

As us old skool Indy jacket veterans can attest, it's not the years it's the mileage - so add a few miles on to that shiny new jacket. Your cool factor will thank you for it. ;)

The elbow straps are supposed to be black, right? Would buying a cheap black leather belt from goodwill and sewing it on do the trick, you think? I don't know how easy it is to unstitch the old one and attach a new one, but I wager it's not a fun process.

No, I don't think the elbow straps are black leather. They are a khaki cotton web belt material, I think.

And yes, it would be a major PITA to replace the straps that are on this jacket. I guess it's do-able, but it would be costly. Because there is no cotton weave on the jacket to begin with and with so many other innacuracies, I just don't think it would be worth it. For accuracy, wait for the jacket that Indy Magnoli is working on right now.

But for those of us who already have this jacket, the mods above are the best I can suggest. And despite it's annacuracies, it's still a very cool everyday jacket!

Don't be nervous about getting the jacket wet.

It's leather and it can take it.

As us old skool Indy jacket veterans can attest, it's not the years it's the mileage - so add a few miles on to that shiny new jacket. Your cool factor will thank you for it. ;)

Can that not shrink the jacket?

If you wash a leather jacket in the washing machine and then throw it in a tumble dryer, you can certainly shrink it and not always in a good way.

However, letting a jacket get wet then letting it dry naturally whilst wearing it is a bit like the old idea of wearing your jeans in the bath. It actually molds to your form a lot more, but doesnt shrink.

The only exception I can think of is the arm length, as the added wrinkles and creases (like the screen used used jacket has) pulls the arm length back a little bit.

The straps on the sleeves are grey elastic. They can also be found on the left shoulder and many places on the pants and vest.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back