Emerald City ComiCon 2015 Updated 03/23/15

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2015 Updated 03/02/15

I may have squee'd out loud a few minutes ago.

Garth.jpg Heather.jpg

It's my husband and me! We're officially special guests of the convention and will be participating in Writer's Block panels. We'll also be selling books at our tables, JJ-05/06 which is right next to Michael Stackpole and Patrick Rothfuss!

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2015 Updated 03/05/15

Couple of cancellations, unfortunately: Karen Allen and LeVar Burton had to drop out (I'm especially sad about LeVar. He was on my short-list of people I wanted to get pictures from). BUT, they got Marina Sirtis to step in in LeVar's place, so all is not lost!

And with Karen Allen having to bow out that means they should just get Harrison Ford since he'll be needing to stay off his feel a while. He could sit and sign some graphs at a table, right? I could just see the grimace on his face while doing that.....

And with Karen Allen having to bow out that means they should just get Harrison Ford since he'll be needing to stay off his feel a while. He could sit and sign some graphs at a table, right? I could just see the grimace on his face while doing that.....

Oh, I needed that laugh in the worst way. Thank you for that. :D

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2015 Updated 03/13/15

Sad news! Dante "Rufio" Basco can't make the con this year due to a new movie he has to go start shooting. He was, however, awesome enough to shoot a quick apology video and promise to make it up to the fans.

In happier news, a new guest was announced:

Troy Baker:
A virtual Who's Who voice in animation and video games, he's portrayed such notable voices as The Joker in the Arkham Asylum series, Clint Barton/Hawkeye in many Marvel animated properties, and Joel in The Last of Us. He'll soon be heard as the voice of Steeljaw in Transformers: Robots in Disguise. Mr. Baker will be appearing all three days of Emerald City Comicon!

Last edited by a moderator:

I am really digging the writers block. There are a couple authors I'll be nabbing autographs from. I hope that part of the con continues to grow. I decided to make a bit of a project. The exclusive art book Monsters and Dames is full of art submisions by attendees so I am going to try and get all the art signed. Should be a fun few walks around the con getting autographs.

Updated: Saw a few pages back the Sci-Fi Models guys will be back. Do you know where you will be yet?

Last edited:

I wish this con was closer just so i could get Troy to sign half my game collection lol. i seriously have like 8 special edition games that he's in within arm reach.

Hoped this was as apt a place as any to post this.... I'm doing a couple cosplays over the three days of ECCC and would love to have someone, or more than just one someone, LOL, to run around with and take pics, etc., accordingly! :) I'm doing Winter Soldier on Friday and Sunday, so of course a Steve/Cap would be perfectly fun....also, if we have a STRIKE team member or even one or more of STRIKE particularly, like specific characters, that could work very well too and I'd equally love for that. :) Calling all Widows and Falcons too, for that matter, hehe! Saturday I'm doing Loki and of course, well, a Thor or Hawkeye or really most any other Avenger would be quite simply fabulous and loads of fun.... We've all found it, after all, that on our own we may certainly have a fine bunch of pics taken - but get one or more of us of like kind or from the same thing/fandom/show or movie together, and then suddenly we can't move for all the flashes goin' off....and it's also just even more fun with company too! :D Hope to hear back! (and hope also that folks aren't stressing unduly over the con being less than two weeks to go now....breathe, just breathe, LOL!)

I am really digging the writers block. There are a couple authors I'll be nabbing autographs from. I hope that part of the con continues to grow. I decided to make a bit of a project. The exclusive art book Monsters and Dames is full of art submisions by attendees so I am going to try and get all the art signed. Should be a fun few walks around the con getting autographs.

Updated: Saw a few pages back the Sci-Fi Models guys will be back. Do you know where you will be yet?

I participated with the model group last year and was planning on bringing some kits again this year. However, round about December, I got an E-mail that said they were not going to be allowed to have a display this year. I don't know any details, but I was bummed about it.

I participated with the model group last year and was planning on bringing some kits again this year. However, round about December, I got an E-mail that said they were not going to be allowed to have a display this year. I don't know any details, but I was bummed about it.

That sucks, but looking at the show floor map, they are REALLY crammed this year with Gaming being back at the convention center rather than at the Sheraton like last year. They just plain may not have had the room, unfortunately.

Really excited to be going Friday since I was thinking I wouldn't be able to go at all! On Friday I'll be there as Marty McFly with my hoverboard, and that night I'll be at the EMP Museum's sci-fi party with the Seattle Time Machine. Greatly looking forward to it! :D

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2015 Updated 03/18/15

Got another good news/bad news announcement today:

Unfortunately Morena Baccarin has canceled her appearance at ECCC due to a new filming commitment. All solo photo ops will be refunded, and those who purchased group photo ops (Firefly and Women of the Whedonverse) will have the option to cancel.

Fortunately, we were able to book a new celebrity guest: Jewel Staite! After starting out on shows in Canada like Space Cases and Flash Forward she gained cult status as the shiniest mechanic in the galaxy Kaylee Frye on Firefly and Serenity. She went on to starring roles in Stargate: Atlantis, The L.A. Complex, and The Killing. She can be also be seen in the upcoming films 40 Below and Falling and How to Plan an Orgy in a Small Town. Ms. Staite will be appearing all three days of Emerald City Comicon, she will have solo photo ops, and will join the Firefly and Women of Whedonverse photo ops. She will also join the Firefly panel with Gina Torres.

Hey, guys. My fellow writers at Talaria Press have so much going on, we're putting up three separate blog posts to keep people in the loop. We've got new associates, new books AND a busy, busy schedule. It's just too much for one post.

Here's where we'll be and what we'll be doing on Friday:

http://talariapress.com/2015/03/19/schedule-post-friday-march-27-2015/

It’s one of our favorite times of year again, here at Talaria Press. No, not spring (though it is lovely in the Pacific Northwest). Nor is it just because Founder Heather is celebrating another birthday (seriously, didn’t we just DO this birthday thing?!). No… it’s time for Emerald City Comicon once more and we have some fantastic surprises in store for you this year. New authors! New books! New artwork! This is the first of three posts (one for each day) that will give you all the pertinent details you need to be to find your favorite Talaria Press authors.

All weekend, you can find us on the 6th floor in the Writer’s Block area at tables JJ-05/06. We’re right next to legendary genre writer Michael A Stackpole and epic fantasy powerhouse Patrick Rothfuss.

New Authors

Emerald City Comicon 2015 marks the first ever appearance of our newest Associate Author, Martin Schiller. Martin has independently-published a three-book military hard sci-fi series called theSisterhood of Suns. Set in the distant future, all members of humanity with a Y chromosome have been wiped out, leaving women alone among the stars which is just how they like it… or so it seems. A radical religious sect has set themselves on a path to reintroduce men, called NeoMen which causes all sorts of complications when the high court rules in favor of allowing one of these NeoMen to serve in an active combat unit! The narrative follows a veteran warship commander, a young colonist who joins the Marines to avenge her decimated colony, the NeoMan Marine, Jon, and a mysterious spy who upholds the interests of the Sisterhood at all costs.
Martin and the Talaria Press team are currently hard at work on revised and revamped editions of theSisterhood of Suns: Pallas Athena and the Sisterhood of Suns: Widow’s War, the first of which will go to press later this year. We can’t wait for you to see what we’ve done.

New Books – Garth Reasby

Good news for Children of Divinity fans. Garth has just released the first ever Children of Divinity Companion Anthology. TitledReAwakened, the book gives us reprints of two existing CoD stories which originally appeared in Founder’s Anthologies (Jill’s Run andIt’s my Nature) and three brand new tales to expand the CoD experience and set up the next series of Jordan’s adventures.

New Artwork

Garth has also been hard at work creating gorgeous new posters to grace our table at the convention. We can’t wait for you to see them!

Panel Schedule

More than just Black and White: Humanizing Heroes and Villains
Room: Hall B (WSCC 602-603)
Date: Friday, March 27th
Time: 11:30AM – 12:20PM
Guest(s): Garth Reasby, John Lovett, Martin Schiller, Michael A. Stackpole, Isaac Marion
Heroes and villains can’t be all good or evil. Join John Lovett, Garth Reasby, Martin Schiller, Michael A. Stackpole, and Isaac Marion for a lively discussion of favorite heroes and villains and what makes them so interesting and learn how to craft complex and relatable characters to give your stories emotional impact.

Signing: 12:30PM – 1:30PM Table JJ-10/11

Preventing Magical McGuffins
Date: Friday, March 27th
Time: 4:30PM – 5:20PM
Moderator: Anna Alexander
Guest(s): Holly Black, Peter V. Brett, Patrick Rothfuss, H.L. Reasby
Even in a fantasy world, magic can’t solve all your problems. Our panel of novelists discuss how to write about magic responsibly. Panelists include Holly Black, Patrick Rothfuss, Heather Reasby, and Peter V. Brett.

Signing: 5:30PM – 6:30PM Table JJ-10/11

Quick Writers block question. I noticed everyone has a table but also is assigned a signing time at the same table. Will there be signings at the 'normal' spots or only during the times at J-10/11? Just seemed a little odd as only the writers block seems set up that way so was curious. Thank you for all the updates and info by the way. I am super excited and hope you have a lot of fun as well.

Quick Writers block question. I noticed everyone has a table but also is assigned a signing time at the same table. Will there be signings at the 'normal' spots or only during the times at J-10/11? Just seemed a little odd as only the writers block seems set up that way so was curious. Thank you for all the updates and info by the way. I am super excited and hope you have a lot of fun as well.

Great question!

People who have a table assignment will be free to sign at their own table during the convention as long as they like (some writers, like Scalzi last year, don't like to sit and sign except for short periods, I've noticed). Having a set signing time after each panel is intended to give those folks who attended the panel but might not have known who everyone is, or who might not have gotten a chance to ask their question, etc, a chance to meet and greet and get books signed.

For me, specifically, although I'll be at JJ-10/11 for my hour post-panel, I will be at our Talaria table for the vast majority of the convention.

One week to go! We've got a spot for MODOK on the third floor. I'm told we will be near the costume pre-judging area. If you see us please be sure to say hi!

Or if you ( or someone you know ) might be interested in being an AIM agent Friday or Saturday let me know, we have a couple of extra suits.

Another title announcement ant Talaria's Saturday schedule. :)

Another day, another blog post!

All weekend, you can find us on the 6th floor in the Writer’s Block area at tables JJ-05/06. We’re right next to legendary genre writer Michael A Stackpole and epic fantasy powerhouse Patrick Rothfuss.

New Books – H.L. Reasby

Another series anthology has just been released, this one tied to the Sekhmet’s Light series. Titled the Days upon the Year for the five days that don’t fit into the Ancient Eyptian calendar’s three seasons, this anthology presents five tales set in the world of Sekhmet’s Light. Fleshing out back stories only hinted at in the main narrative, this is a companion volume that no fan of the series will want to miss out on.

Panel Schedule

Trapped in an Elevator: How to Pitch Your Idea
Date: Saturday, March 28th
Time: 10:30AM – 11:20AM
Moderator: Anna Alexander

Guest(s):
Lisa Mantchev, Peter Orullian, Peter V. Brett, Ren Cummins, Dan Wells
Can you sum up your story in one minute? In one sentence? Our panel of experts will help you master the fine art of “elevator pitching” your novel, bolstering that synopsis, condensing your cover letters, and working up creative and engaging fare that can be used in everything from jacket copy to product description.

Signing: Table JJ-10/11 11:30AM – 12:30PM

Defense Against the Dark ARCs: Dealing with Trolls, Controversy and Criticism
Date: Saturday, March 28th
Time: 3:30PM – 4:20PM

Guest(s):
Emma Michaels, Seanan McGuire, Patrick Rothfuss, Isaac Marion, H.L. Reasby
Grace under fire is an essential skill of a modern writer. Learn when to turn the other cheek, when to respond, and how to avoid making yourself a bigger target, from panelists Emma Michaels, Seanan McGuure, Patrick Rothfuss, Isaac Marion, and Heather Reasby.

Signing: Table JJ-10/11 4:30AM – 5:30PM

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back