Yet Another Quantum Leap "Gummi Bear" Handlink Project - Help Wanted

I apologize for what I wrote in my first post that may have "alienated" anyone; obviously that was not my intention.

I'm curious though, about what you refer to as "old news here". By my reckoning, at least four items I've posted above aren't found online directly associated with the handlink anywhere, and some of the others took a lot of time and effort to dig up. If it's all "old news" here, why not share it? Just because something is old news to you, doesn't mean everybody who wants to know it already does.

I was just searching around for Handlink info and found this an interesting read. I don't have the time or know-how to devote to trying to replicate one of these props, but I enjoy reading what's out there and seeing what other people can do. So thanks for sharing this. I for one would enjoy hearing about any progress you make in your research. :thumbsup

That said, if anyone were ever to offer a run of one of the handlink props (perhaps the earlier calculator style handlinks are "simpler") I would be all over it. A Quantum Leap Handlink collection is on my "dream props" list, but I don't expect that will ever happen. :unsure

I apologize for what I wrote in my first post that may have "alienated" anyone; obviously that was not my intention.

I'm curious though, about what you refer to as "old news here". By my reckoning, at least four items I've posted above aren't found online directly associated with the handlink anywhere, and some of the others took a lot of time and effort to dig up. If it's all "old news" here, why not share it? Just because something is old news to you, doesn't mean everybody who wants to know it already does.

Prior to the forum move & such, (probably before I was actually a member, really), I had a handful of threads bookmarked about the handlink(s). :( Long since lost though. I'll do a little digging & see if I can find anything. If memory serves there was quite a discussion about the lighting - it was identified but unavailable is what I remember...vaguely.

Honestly, I could have gotten this information from somewhere else...it's been quite a while since I was chasing a handlink build. :)

Personally, I'd love to see a bunch o' folks chime in with detail. I hope folks forgive ya' & get the ball rolling a bit, as this is one of those props I'd love to dig in on at some point, (not a short list "of props I'd love to dig in on" though, if I'm being honest). :D

Am I the only person who thinks these two items may be the same or very similar?:

View attachment 371733

The top part of the image is a magnified detail from one of Morgan Feldon's photos of the hero prop from The Leap Back 2009 convention display. The bottom part is a resistor array. I'm not familiar with very many electronic components that come in this turquoise/cyan color, though one other possibility that occurs to me is an electrolytic capacitor; however, I can't think of any good reason why the handlink should have such a large capacitor in it.

Looks like a cap to me.

Re: Yet Another Quantum Leap "Gummi Bear" Handlink Project - Help Wanted

...if anyone were ever to offer a run of one of the handlink props (perhaps the earlier calculator style handlinks are "simpler") I would be all over it. A Quantum Leap Handlink collection is on my "dream props" list, but I don't expect that will ever happen. :unsure
I believe member Droidboy may currently be making Gummi Bear Handlinks. I don't mean any disrespect to him, but his replicas just don't appear to be accurate enough for me.

The most accurate replica I've seen online was by Brent "Cyland Props" Kling, who seems to have been banned from here. That's unfortunate, because after seeing the Ghostbusters PKE and Giga Meters props info on his website, I'm dying to see what he has on the Handlink, but his site only says the info is "coming soon". Is anyone here friendly with him?

- - - Updated - - -

This prop has been on my to do list for nearly 15 years. One day I will finish mine.
I've swiped a copy of the "blueprint" from your site, is that your original work? It's in need of several corrections regarding colors, thicknesses, LEDs and perhaps some minor shape tweaks.

Prior to the forum move & such, (probably before I was actually a member, really), I had a handful of threads bookmarked about the handlink(s). :( Long since lost though.
Do you still have URL's to those links? Is there any chance that The Wayback Machine can retrieve the threads? I often refrain from deleting dead bookmark links for years just in case they're archived somewhere, and update them to point to the archive if I find the pages in there. Another thing I sometimes do is save useful pages locally as complete .MHT or .MHTML files.

I believe member Droidboy may currently be making Gummi Bear Handlinks. I don't mean any disrespect to him, but his replicas just don't appear to be accurate enough for me.

The most accurate replica I've seen online was by Brent "Cyland Props" Kling, who seems to have been banned from here. That's unfortunate, because after seeing the Ghostbusters PKE and Giga Meters props info on his website, I'm dying to see what he has on the Handlink, but his site only says the info is "coming soon". Is anyone here friendly with him?

- - - Updated - - -

I've swiped a copy of the "blueprint" from your site, is that your original work? It's in need of several corrections regarding colors, thicknesses, LEDs and perhaps some minor shape tweaks.
Send me what you got

Send me what you got
Although I have a modified version of your "quantumleaphandlink(small).jpg" file, not all of my changes are in there; several are only in my text notes files. Can you send me the best version of that file that you have, either higher-resolution or perhaps in a layered or vector format? Then I could make my changes there and everything would be much neater and more legible.

Slightly OT: Has anyone made replicas of Sam's Driver's license (from the final QL episode, "Mirror Image")? See Al's Place - Quantum Leap Imaging Chamber for a couple of screen grabs. In going through my materials stash last night, I accidentally discovered that I have some of the exact hologram foil that was used as the background for his photo. I may also have some of the plain color-shifting foil that was used for the rest of the card, if I can find where I put it. The trouble is, I don't know how to properly print his photo so that both the light colored areas of his face and shirt, and the hologram pattern, will show properly at the same time. The foil itself is very dark, so simply printing on a transparency won't work right, unless someone has a printer that also prints actual white ink. But it can't be totally opaque white either, it would have to be just a small amount of white behind or mixed in with the light colors. Maybe someone could print to a transparency, then airbrush a very reduced white onto the back of it through a stencil?

--UPDATE--

While trying (unsuccessfully) to find a clean hi-res version of the same photo used as Sam's license photo, I just found this animated .GIF of Sam's license. Watch carefully... you might notice that his image wobbles around slightly as the license is moved. Those of you familiar with TV production methods and special effects should recognize that the photo wasn't actually on the prop as either a hologram or a static photo -- it was added as an optical in post-production!

Last edited:
Do you still have URL's to those links? Is there any chance that The Wayback Machine can retrieve the threads? I often refrain from deleting dead bookmark links for years just in case they're archived somewhere, and update them to point to the archive if I find the pages in there. Another thing I sometimes do is save useful pages locally as complete .MHT or .MHTML files.

So, my endeavors to find some info for you didn't lead to much. I have a handful of old .url files which seem to be corrupted/empty. I'll keep digging. :)

Aw, that's too bad, but I'm surprised you had anything at all. Thanks for the effort!

Sorry. :( I do have a personal interest in seeing you make progress, as this is - as mentioned previously - on my list o' things to build...at some point. :)

I'll have some time this weekend to dig in to some of my older back up data & maybe I'll find somethin' there...

My LED collection so far.

Handlink LEDs 2014_0929.jpg

The left column is all 5 mm x 5 mm square, single-chip LEDs. The yellow, green and red are for the back of the prop. Four orange will be used to make the 10 mm x 10 mm square on the front side in the upper right area, because I couldn't find a 10 mm x 10 mm 4-chip LED in this color (apparently neither could the makers of at least one of the original heroes -- in the Mark Dickson photo one of the emitters is rotated 90 degrees relative to the other three, something which could never happen in a production-line manufactured 4-chip part). Two orange will go in the upper left area between two red 10 mm x 5 mm 2-chip LEDs, again because I couldn't find a 10 mm x 5 mm 2-chip LED in this color. One orange will go in the back (behind the blue acrylic near the left side, because orange is the color on the front side in that location).

The middle column are all current-production LEDs that are close to the correct styles but not quite exact -- the LED dice are spaced on 6 mm centers instead of 4.5 or 5 mm like the originals. One of the red 6-chip LEDs will be ground into the ramp shape, to mount over the upper edge of the battery. I'm considering making an "idealized" version of the prop that doesn't exactly match any of the known hero versions, and if I do that, I'll probably cut the other red 6-chip LED down to 4 chips and 10 mm x 10 mm square, to mount over the center of the battery (instead of the square of red fluorescent acrylic), as shown in the Gene Crowell prop photo. The green 3-chip 16 mm x 5 mm bars are for the top center area, but I only have these two so far, out of five that the prop needs. I could build up fakes from clusters of 5 mm x 5 mm LEDs if necessary but I think that the extra glue planes might show too much. If you're reading this far you probably already know where the red 10 mm x 5 mm units go. I might use the green 10 mm x 5 mm units in a cluster to make that odd-shaped green area near the upper left, if I can't get a 6-die 16 mm x 10 mm unit in green.

The right column are what I have so far of the correct large 14 mm x 7 mm 2-chip light bars that make up all of the largest LED clusters on the front of the prop. I still need a bunch more of these. All in the photo are tested and working. I haven't encountered the problems mentioned elsewhere of some units being duds when new, or of being reversed polarity, although I have found some half-dead green ones (not shown) which were pulled from a circuit that drove them at 35 mA in a hot enclosure. They're only rated to 30 mA at standard room temperature, so it's amazing that only two dies were dead, from the handful of LEDs that I pulled from that circuit. I have noticed one apparent design issue, though. The yellow units I have are much dimmer than any of the other LEDs in this collection, even though they are new old stock, so I'll have to drive them at their 30 mA maximum, then calibrate all the others in the prop to the same brightness by reducing their current.

Last edited:
Although I have obtained a few more since posting the above photo, I still need some more of these HTF LEDs. Please see my WTB post in Classifieds; I'm confident somebody here has some or has an idea where some may be found -- possibly extras from a handlink build (whether completed, abandoned, or changed tactics and decided not to use the original-style LEDs). I can even use some that are dead, or have one dead die, because I have a way to near-invisibly repair them (the 14 mm x 7 mm 2-chip style).

Last edited:
New development: I may have found someone who can replicate the obsolete LEDs in "small" quantities of at least 500 pieces ("small" is with respect to mainstream manufacturers, who typically won't even talk to you for less than 10,000 pieces) for around $1.25 each. Since the prop uses up to 29 of the 14 mm x 7 mm 2-die style, depending on exactly which version is replicated, this means a minimum of 18 replicas to meet his minimum quantity. If the interest level is high enough, it may be feasible to have him make some of the less-common styles in the prop, such as the green 3-die style at top center (5 per prop).

Is there enough interest here to go ahead with an order from him, assuming his work is of high enough quality? I don't believe I would be producing such a prop run myself, but I could supply the LEDs at my cost to anyone who wants to produce a run or even just build a 1-off replica for himself. If you are interested, please reply with how many props' worth of LEDs you think you would want. Note that I would supply ONLY the custom LEDs; any other LEDs for the prop such as the still-available 5 mm x 5 mm square single-chip and 10 mm x 5 mm 2-chip types would be your own responsibility.

If there are enough responses here, I will get a Premium membership and post an INT thread in the appropriate forum.

EDIT: Stand by, please... it's starting to look like his "production" method won't be any better than I or any other one of us could make ourselves. I'll get back here with more details as I learn them.

Last edited:
From the rest of my conversation with the person mentioned above, it seems that his plan was to take existing water-clear LEDs which emit the correct wavelengths and intensities, and grind their lenses flat, then cast them into tinted epoxy molds of the correct dimensions. Because of the mix of tinted and untinted materials, this would leave each die visibly surrounded by a clear cylinder. Since there are close-up shots in the series in which the LED reflectors and leadframes can be seen, I find this method unacceptable. When I asked him if he could get functional but unencapsulated leadframes, he didn't directly answer "yes" or "no", but merely said that he could do anything I wanted though it would cost more money. Since his price is already higher than what I could make myself, I think that will be the end of the discussion. I can make them better too, since I know where to get LEDs that are close to the correct pale tint density, so they will be much less noticeable when double-encapsulated.

Last edited:
On another note, today I found one of these in my mailbox:

J Battery Radio Shack - correct label_01 Small.png

It's quite dead, unsurprising considering it's at least 13 years old -- I believe this label style was last made circa 2001. I'm still looking for one with the correct Duracell label. Does anyone know of any other brands/styles that were used? (Screenshot please!)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back