The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Soulinertia! Your Inbox is full! So I have to post this here.

Hey mate! I was wondering when you were going to start shipping the printed material for the Starlord bag. I'm trying to gauge my time since I have so much to do and need to figure out if the bag is going to be out for Halloween.

Your bag is coming along great!

If/when I make my second bag I'll work up a pattern. I didn't make one for this bag, just kinda "winged-it". The dimensions are approx 21" x 18" not counting the D-ring straps.

OK, since I am sure you won't be doing another between now and halloween, can you possibly throw those dimensions on a photo? I can extrapolate everything from there. Either way, thanks for showing it can be done!

Soulinertia! Your Inbox is full! So I have to post this here.

Hey mate! I was wondering when you were going to start shipping the printed material for the Starlord bag. I'm trying to gauge my time since I have so much to do and need to figure out if the bag is going to be out for Halloween.

Your bag is coming along great!

Cleared some space in the inbox ;)

I posted in the run thread about 6hrs ago. Maybe you missed it?

Shipping out Oct. 20.

OK, since I am sure you won't be doing another between now and halloween, can you possibly throw those dimensions on a photo? I can extrapolate everything from there. Either way, thanks for showing it can be done!

I posted a drawing on pg. 17. That is what I made my bag from. Hopefully that helps with scale.

This is all I used, it's just a simple trace of the photo above to scale when printed 11" x 17".

You'll have to adjust the largest two shapes to account for perspective.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/GirlsofComicCon08/bagsketch.jpg~original

Hey Soul

I spotted this awewome image of the Scallops all laid-out that you did;

are theses scallops actual size.jpg
...and wanted to know if you might be able to do a scale line drawing of this so that when I cross this bridge, I'll have a template?
Your bag looks freekin' awesome, btw!:thumbsup

Thanks, Kevin, but in that one, they'er overlapping. I need the line drawing from what Soulinertia had originally posted...(because I do not have Illustrator, otherwise, I'd pop it out myself) :D

The drawing Kevin referenced IS the exact drawing I used. I literally printed it out on an 11" x 17" and cut the shapes out of the paper. Only the last two larger shapes overlap, so I just eyeballed it accounting for perspective and made them wider.

Here is what I'll do though. I'll include a printed template sheet of the shapes for everyone who ordered fabric from me, so they will know how to arrange and cut them out ;)

I'll post more details in the LTD RUN thread.

The drawing Kevin referenced IS the exact drawing I used. I literally printed it out on an 11" x 17" and cut the shapes out of the paper. Only the last two larger shapes overlap, so I just eyeballed it accounting for perspective and made them wider.

Here is what I'll do though. I'll include a printed template sheet of the shapes for everyone who ordered fabric from me, so they will know how to arrange and cut them out ;)

I'll post more details in the LTD RUN thread.

Appreciated, thanks! now to *find* some 11x17.... (jobless with no opportunity to #stealofficesupplies) :angel

StarLord Maan! Kinkos!!! JOBLESS and your attacking Starlord? Man I thought I was crazy attacking Captain Hook when I was jobless last year! Jobful now so Starlord et.al is taking up all my funds!!!

Yeah, more than the Mad Hatter. I haven't attempted Jack Sparrow . . . yet. lol!

What is it with us and these complex costumes!?

Guys...please...I was gainfully employed when I started this.
Loosing my job was a recent development which I had no control over.
I am trying to save $ here, which means NOT going to KINKOS.
(let's get back on topic - sorry Zlurpo)

Just finished printing my own fabric. Credit goes to Zlurpo for the file.20141014_174601.jpg
This cost about 2 dollars to make and takes about 15 minutes to finish. If you would like a tutorial, please inquire about it on my Star lord thread.

Last edited:
Well, I made an executive decision to go quick and cheap for the bag (like many have mentioned, this has turned into one expensive costume! Way beyond my normal budget-build stuff!) and picked up a $5 sling bag at a thrift shop today to start with. I'll likely layer some scrap leather and/or pleather on the back and cover the front with something roughly the right color - either paint or fabric - the details will just have to be what they can be in the time I have to make them.

One great thing about having the bag will be that I can hold my kid's excess candy when she's inevitably got a full bag halfway through trick-or-treating! =0)

In case anyone is curious like I was:

To see the difference, I got one of the 40mm carbon steel buckles. The top part, with the latches on it, is the exact same size as the 45 mm buckle. The only size difference is that the sides of the plastic insert are wider on the 40mm buckle, so it's a smaller opening. The bottom piece is larger, by 5mm (duh) or just under a quarter inch. If they were both colored to look like the movie buckle, it would be very hard to tell which was which.

I decided to try to put the pattern onto the fabric using iron-on transfer paper. All you need is an ink-jet printer, an ironing board, an iron, and a pack of iron-on transfer paper. So far I'm very happy with the results. If someone gets close and eye-balls the fabric, the print won't look as good as a screen-printing, but even from only a couple feet away it should look very passable. Here's some pics...

20141014_203816.jpg20141014_203823.jpg20141014_203928.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back