The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Brace yourself! More progress pics below . . .

First off, this is a sketch I drew on my phone very early on in the project. I was trying to determine the length of the straps and overall shape of the bag. Just thought I'd share for those of you building your own bags.
GuardiansStarLord_05.jpg

So there are these stripes on the light bag fabric. I can't quite tell if they are areas that were masked off or faded or what, so I just tried to replicate the width, location and color. I probably need to go back in and make these a little more solid.
20141106_214435.jpg

bagstripes-1.jpg

You'll also notice in the pic above that there are some leather shapes on the back where the straps are secured to the bag so I added those as well.
20141106_214820.jpg

20141106_214829.jpg

Then it was time to dye the leather straps. I used Eco-Flo Java.
20141106_214544.jpg

20141106_221255.jpg

20141106_224328.jpg

20141106_224344.jpg

w/flash. You can see the printed pattern on the dark fabric shapes pretty well here too.
20141106_224357.jpg

I also aged the D-rings with some alcohol inks and added a wash on the fabrics to make them look even more aged. Here is the complete bag w/straps laid out flat.
20141107_025213.jpg

20141107_025310.jpg

20141107_031131.jpg

And of course, the back. I really love how this turned out.
20141107_030956.jpg

Here are some detail shots of the straps.
20141107_031230.jpg

20141107_031325.jpg

20141107_031333.jpg

20141107_031401.jpg

20141107_031431.jpg

20141107_031511.jpg

I also threw it on a mannequin and took a few more pics to show how the bag hangs in various positions.
20141107_030357.jpg

20141107_025529.jpg

20141107_025550.jpg

I didn't have any leather cord on hand, so I just used a piece of microphone wire to secure the strap to the D-ring. A temporary fix, but it looks the part.
20141107_031850.jpg

20141107_025924.jpg

20141107_025936.jpg

20141107_030014.jpg

20141107_030043.jpg

20141107_030134.jpg

20141107_030245.jpg

20141107_030310.jpg

And I think it's just about finished! I still have a few minor details I'd like to add/change here and there. I also still need to make the 3rd strap that comes around the other side. Still trying to figure out exactly how it's secured.

bagstrap.jpg

Cheers! :cheers

Man, you really nailed it. It looks awesome! Thanks for paving the way for everyone else... Hoping to get mine started next week!

That is ridiculous , looks like you just stole his bag!

so you have a final count on the buttons or snaps needed?
great job on the bag, you always nail the look.

you should be a CSI guy or an archeologist!

Them Skills!

Wow. Amazing work Soulinertia.

I also ordered fabric from you, which I got and it's awesome! But, like Kevin Gosset, I only got the trapezoids. Is it possible I could get the bag template from you also? Thanks!

THATS SO AMAZING! I wish I had got the fabric to try and get this done myself. Really kicking myself now. Your not making a small run of bags ever are you, lol...MAYBE JUST ONE! haha

-West

Nice job on the bag.

To answer your question about the stripes, those are masked off sections where there is no silk screened pattern. There was one swatch I saw on ebay that was cut with the blank stripe through it. There are also expansion pleats on the front of the bag.

a quick trick for everyone using SS D-rings.....i've been heating them up with a blowtorch and then dropping them in moist coffee grounds. does wonders if your try to get the aged look. i'd post pics but my camera is broken....and my phone sux with pics.....

Link for click lock buckle, bag of 12 on eBay if people are still interested

Last edited by a moderator:
AUCTION LINK REMOVED

Link for click lock buckle, bag of 12 on eBay if people are still interested

We don't allow for live auctions to be posted on the forum. Just in case anyone's seen this link though, please note that these are the wrong ones - 45mm instead of 40mm, silver instead of the carbon steel.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, thought I was being helpful [emoji41]
Is anybody closer to finding the satchel to buy or is it still DIY job?

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't allow for live auctions to be posted on the forum. Just in case anyone's seen this link though, please note that these are the wrong ones 45mm instead of 40mm, silver instead of the carbon steel.

And they were the type with the knurled adjuster at the bottom.

upload.jpg
If you look at that picture full size, you can see the tiny pink arrows I've added. They're pointing at what appears to be stitching.

I've always thought that those slits were expansion folds, like you can find on some cargo pants pockets like these. But if they're stitched down, it defeats the purpose, as they would no longer be able to expand.

Thoughts? Ideas?

It is stitching, to hold the darker gusset fabric away from the opening. The stitching keeps it relatively flat, but it still has the ability to expand because it only goes through the layer that's stitched to the outer bag fabric.

EDIT: Updated with illustration. Here's the black gusset fabric, the mustard bag fabric,and the red is the stitching.

Last edited:
Hmm, so there is top stitching right along the edge of the opening, you think there is also stitching that far away from the gap?

So what do you think the stitching is right at the tips of the pink arrows in the picture I posted above? Because I 100% agree with your diagram if that stitching is supposed to be right next to the edge (1/8th" away or so), but there appears to be other stitching another 3/8ths inches away from the slit.

I sewed a piece of how I think it looks, and like I was sure would happen, it's mostly non-functional as a dart in the fabric. You can see the close stitching, and the far stitching. If it weren't for the far stitching (the outside lines) then I think it would be exactly what your (Risu) illustration indicates.

3T8qNpf.jpg

riRufPp.jpg

Zlurpo, if the material forming the 'back wall' of the gusset is elastic, then it can stretch to allow the edges of the 'dart' to spread apart when you stuff the bag, but will then pull the edges back together when the stretch is released rather than staying pooched out like cargo pant pockets. You can hide a wide band of something stretchy behind an opening like that, and the wider the stretchy band is at rest the more it can expand under stress. Although I suspect that in the case of the bag they really are just a more visually interesting way to form a dart to add some 3-d shape to the bag. After all, those trapezoids seem to be purely decorative, as is the strap that runs through them.

So - I think the sample you sewed is correct, but you could replace the back wall with something else to make it more functional.

I don't think the back would be elastic, just some dark, durable fabric. I am about 98% positive that the lines you pointed out with the arrows is where the dark fabric folds back on itself. They most likely assembled the bag hastily and assembled the front panel, then pressed it for a bit too long. As a result, there's a slight ridge where the fabric underneath ended and it could have possibly burned or melted the ink.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back