The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Looking great :) I just ordered that same carbon steel buckle. How long did your order take? I have an old leather jacket as well that's the same color I may use too. Just been sitting in my closest for 10 years. Awesome. How well is the canvas base working? Having to do much modifications to it? I was thinking of doing it from scratch or using that type canvas bag.

Oh also what kind of sewing machine are you using for the leather and canvas? Just wondering

I'm still not sure if I'm actually going to use this bag in the construction of my new one. Right now I'm kind of just using it as a template. I haven't done any sewing on leather yet. I have a baby lock serger i plan on using.

I'm still not sure if I'm actually going to use this bag in the construction of my new one. Right now I'm kind of just using it as a template. I haven't done any sewing on leather yet. I have a baby lock serger i plan on using.

Tip from the workshop where I got my leather: use double-sided tape to stop the leather from moving or stretching while sewing. Also, a teflon foot for the machine is apparently very useful ot help it glide through.

Tip from the workshop where I got my leather: use double-sided tape to stop the leather from moving or stretching while sewing. Also, a teflon foot for the machine is apparently very useful ot help it glide through.
If you don't have/don't want to buy a teflon foot, sewing with a layer of wax paper or cooking parchment paper between the foot and the leather also makes it slide very easily, and usually tears right off afterwards.

Scotch tape on the foot works well also. And if your allowance is wide enough, you can use leather weld glue to hold the pieces together and peel it back apart after it's sewn.

Thanks for the tip. It just so happens I have double sided tape in the drawer. Don't have Teflon foot, but will try try the scotch tape on the bottom of the foot trick. I had to do some sewing machine maintenance yesterday

Made some more progress on my bag last night:

After getting everything scaled correctly I cut my shapes out of some thick interfacing. Then I cut and wrapped my fabric. To adhere the fabric I used spray mount. Worked like a charm!

Here's the smallest section along with the hardware pieces:
20140928_223033.jpg

w/flash
20140928_223208.jpg

I cut out the grommet shape with an x-acto and bent the flanges with a pair of flat nose pliers. Then pressed it flat by hand. This metal is very malleable and easy to work with:
20140928_224728.jpg

20140928_230916.jpg

20140928_230951.jpg

20140928_235307.jpg

20140929_001953.jpg

About an hr later I had all 7 panels completed!
20140929_004522.jpg

20140929_004646.jpg

I didn't have any leather straps on hand, so I just used a piece of elastic and loosely set everything out to get a general idea of how everything was looking:
20140929_010806.jpg

20140929_010817.jpg

Made some more progress on my bag last night:

After getting everything scaled correctly I cut my shapes out of some thick interfacing. Then I cut and wrapped my fabric. To adhere the fabric I used spray mount. Worked like a charm!

That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it when you're done!

Nice looking. What is your plan to keep the individual "slats" from cascading over each other? Are you going to mount them to the strap?

Nice looking. What is your plan to keep the individual "slats" from cascading over each other? Are you going to mount them to the strap?

I'll have a back panel of the lighter fabric that I'm going to mount the slats to so they don't move around. At least that is the plan for now.

The build continues . . .

20140930_000408.jpg

20140930_000436.jpg

20140930_000451.jpg

20140930_000502.jpg

20140930_000511.jpg

20140930_004407.jpg

20140930_004543.jpg

20140930_004709.jpg

20140930_004958.jpg

Things are really starting to take shape.

My first time sewing leather. It's actually quite easy to work with. I'm just using a standard sewing machine with the thickest needle I could find. The leather I'm using is pretty thin though. Maybe a 4oz. Anything thicker I could see running into problems.

I'm pretty much just eyeballing the whole thing. I'm not even using pins or tape, just throwing pieces together and pushing them through the machine. This is kind of my practice bag to see what kind of issues I run into. Once I get all the kinks worked out I'll create my final piece.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back