Aquaman (Post-release)

What did you think of Aquaman?

• Total voters
Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman’s Honor, Won’t Say If He’s In BATMAN V SUPERMAN | Badass Digest
The article from last week about Zack Snyder defending Aquaman. Now I wonder if that radio bit was a planned stunt.

Because a white male comic book hero truly needs defending in an entertainment industry that will literally produce any kind of comic book movie if it's main character is a white male hero. This is like hearing someone defend the act of drinking water.

Because a white male comic book hero truly needs defending in an entertainment industry that will literally produce any kind of comic book movie if it's main character is a white male hero. This is like hearing someone defend the act of drinking water.

Jason Momoa doesn't look that white to me. Being a fellow Hawaiian, and one who knows his family, I can attest to his non-Haole looks.

But I get your point.

Who's white?
Aquaman_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

I only know the Aquaman from the comics, video games and animated shows. He's pretty caucasian through and through. Since we know very little of what Aquaman is going to be like in his inevitably small role in the new BvS movie, It's his previous incarnations that Zack is most likely referring to. And don't worry. I'm not one of those jerks who thinks that NOT casting a white guy to play him is a mistake. I think an actor with Hawaiian ethnicity would be an excellent choice.

Aquaman, and non-white too! I liked him on the super-friends but by 1983 he had lost his luster for me. I'd still see this movie though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Momoa is hapa, basically. I think the problem with Aquaman is people think of the more lame Silver Age version of the character, and don't really know anything else about him. I think you could take the character and make him more interesting, though.

Really, I think Aquaman highlights much of DCs problems with its heroes. They seem better suited for these reimagined television shows (Arrow, Smallville, Gotham, etc.) rather than these big budget movies. Mostly I think that's because there's so much pressure to "modernize" or basically remove the characters from the Silver Age (or even Bronze Age) conceptions of them that the public holds, and in the end, the people who wind up telling the stories don't really know how to do it effectively (see also, Man of Steel).

Man of Steel was so disappointing. Sorry. It was way too much forced manpain. Dear DC, your superheroes don't all have to be "dark" emo turds to be cool. Stop it.

tumblr_inline_n74s7cTWLl1rp2l9y.jpg

I always liked Aquaman but I think it's a terrible casting choice. Someone who spends most of there time in the water and swimming should be muscular, but slim. He's far to jacked up for the role.

OK, resurrected a thread rather than starting a new one.

James Wan has released that Black Manta will the primary villain for the Aquaman stand alone feature. Seems pretty straight forward and expected, but still good to hear.

Have been having a think about who could play him well. My initial thought was Denzel Washington, because I'd want someone with gravitas in the role, a genuine threat to the powerhouse of Momoa. But I think he's a little old for the part now, though Manta is usually of a fathering age. I think also Denzel might bring too much of his own into the role, he has a very enjoyable take on things but not sure it would fit perfectly.

Next immediate thought was Mike Colter - his Luke Cage portrayal is great. But obvious reasons mean it wont happen.

And then I remembered Morris Chestnut - refreshed my memory with a few youtube clips and interviews. He has the right mannerism, the right voice (deep, clean but commanding) and is just about the right age.

Any contenders?

The Wrap writer Umberto Gonzalez (also of Heroic Hollywood) reported on Black Manta being the villain and it's very likely true. But James Wan neither confirmed nor denied about the character and went with 'no comment'. Denzel definitely will be too old for the role. I think Boris Kodjoe might be a good fit.

The Wrap writer Umberto Gonzalez (also of Heroic Hollywood) reported on Black Manta being the villain and it's very likely true. But James Wan neither confirmed nor denied about the character and went with 'no comment'. Denzel definitely will be too old for the role. I think Boris Kodjoe might be a good fit.

Apologies, I swear I'd read that it was Wan. I'll trust your much better reporting skills of course.

Ah, I got confused - Wan had said that he sees this version of Aquaman as the Wolverine of the group - an outsider, and someone not to be messed with. I think I'd attributed it to the same chunk of news.

Boris Kudjoe doesn't seem to have had many major film roles, and I can't say I've seen him in much? Is there anything you'd recommend?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope they use the same Black Manta costume from the classic Legion Of Doom cartoons.

That would be great haha. With the arms exposed as well.

I do think Young Justice nailed the character without him having too much to do with Aquaman in the show. They also nailed the outfit, it looked brilliant.

Apologies, I swear I'd read that it was Wan. I'll trust your much better reporting skills of course.

Ah, I got confused - Wan had said that he sees this version of Aquaman as the Wolverine of the group - an outsider, and someone not to be messed with. I think I'd attributed it to the same chunk of news.
No biggie. Just didn't want anyone to misconstrue that it was officially confirmed already.

Boris Kudjoe doesn't seem to have had many major film roles, and I can't say I've seen him in much? Is there anything you'd recommend?
Yeah he had only smaller roles in movies so far including last two Resident Evil sequels. He was also in the short lived series Undercovers from J J Abrams. But I saw him on the second season of The Last Man on Earth. Granted it's a comedy series, but he had a little more serious approach to his character.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back