Warhammer 40,000 Grey Knight

Mithosphere

The Design

In browsing various forums, threads, pictures and video of the classic Space Marine Power Armour, there seems to be a general trend to make it look as pleasing as possible, but restricting the functionality and movement. As most designs are either constructed of foam or a fiberglass (or fiberglass alternative), they are considerably lighter, cheaper, and easier to work with than metal. Yes, a real set of Power Armour as intended by Games Workshop would be far too cumbersome (un-powered of course) and large for any human. The design I have been working on requires, as I am but a simple human and not an Astartes, a few additions so that I may effectively wear the Power Armour:

1. An exoskeleton
  2. A cooling system
  3. Complete steel shell construction
  4. Usable hands
  5. Nearly unrestricted movement

A little explanation of each point:
1. The exoskeleton is needed because the individual armor plates need something to rest again and attach to. Below the exoskeleton will be a thick canvas-like suit to prevent my skin from being consistently pinched with every movement. In addition to this, there will also need to be a separate layer on top of the exoskeleton for aesthetic purposes (the joint areas on the Power Armour).

2. A cooling system seems necessary as many people describe situations where they are encased in their Armour for long period of time. In some situations, in hotter climates, the wearer only has the Armour on for a few hours. Many seem to include a fan built into the backpack that circulates air into the chestpiece or a fan inside of the helmet. While a fully enclosed climate system would be wonderful, a simple cooling system like those used in the automotive industry would work fine. Cooling vests are easy enough to wear and the cooling tank can be placed in the backpack with quick-disconnect tubing running between the chest and the backpack. In addition to the cooling vest/tank, a water pack could be included.

3. Full steel construction of the Power Armour... this is likely the most expensive part of the design. I've mocked up the simple pauldron (scaled to fit me) and with a 24 gauge steel (quite thin compared to the thick Ceramite plates), each is expected to weigh between five and seven pounds. I double this figure as this does not include the complete pauldron, but just the outer shell. Why steel and not aluminum? Some parts need to be welded together and a thin steel is often as strong as a thicker aluminum, but can withstand the temperatures needed for welding better. As the individual parts will be attached to the exoskeleton frame, some of the parts need to be split into several pieces and then screwed into place (likely with hexagonal socket head screws). This may also help reduce the cost, as pieces can be made in smaller forms and some parts can be doubled.

4. Most people use a large sport gloves, which I will likely use as well, but a few people have constructed Power Fists. Many can hold light objects, but struggle with actual pressure on an object. Ideally, I would create electronic assisted hands, but would need to have a serious battery system for adequate pressure. The alternative is to rig up some sort of air pressure system, but this would likely be heavy and expensive. I still need to work on a design for a better hand.

5. Movement is crucial to using the Power Armour. I need to bend, crouch, kneel, stoop, and otherwise do anything I could normally do (within reason) with both my arms and legs (the head is less of an issue). As such, the exoskeleton needs some springs or tension to allow and assist in certain movements. There are already quite a number of pictures and specific designs for the exoskeleton that can be modified for a simpler system not requiring hydraulics, air pressure, or motor-assisted.

The Beginning

My primary design will be following this picture with the addition of an exoskeleton no too dissimilar this design, but with a few changes. This will be a very long process, as some parts need to be fabricated and tested. I'll attempt to upload some drawing I have of potential designs for how the Armour will attach to the frame.

Once I have put together a rough wooden lower body, with simple washers and bolts, I can start buying the necessary parts to make a more free-movement skeleton. Specifically parts such as "motion transfer devices"... like rod end ball bearings.

On a few of my tubas, there are quite small minibal linkages like this:
MinibalforBlogPostbns_fghbctybn.jpg
Of course, these are quite small, but these are made in loads of sizes. Granted, they are a little pricey, but as I'm going for a full-metal construction, I can't use the Igus igubal parts... though I may just make a separate prototype using them, as plastic is cheaper and slightly easier to work with. There are many option for the specific design of the attachment, but the side-to-side motion along with the rotational motion is what has me interested.

Have you ever done anything like this before? What you're describing seems to be pretty far-fetched for a hobbyist, if you consider the resources that large companies of professionals have to invest in such ventures.

Have seen at least 3 full metal Ironman suit attempts.. That didn't make it...each one swears they can do it... Good luck any ways..

Have you ever done anything like this before? What you're describing seems to be pretty far-fetched for a hobbyist, if you consider the resources that large companies of professionals have to invest in such ventures.

Should it really matter if I haven't done something? How do you qualify what is "far-fetched" without actually knowing any details about me? Who said I was a hobbyist? I know of some companies that have millions of dollar worth of equipment that produce the same type of product as a couple of people in a garage. My design is to be looked at as a prototype, so, naturally the cost to make it will be quite high (just like any prototype).

If I'm going to start somewhere, I'd much rather set a higher standard that just slapping together something everyone else has already done, especially considering that I make custom musical instruments... but then that's a little easier than shaping steel.

Have seen at least 3 full metal Ironman suit attempts.. That didn't make it...each one swears they can do it... Good luck any ways..

Which ones? Could you link to them (if available)?

I've seen a few, but they are rather rough around the edges. I've also seen plenty of medieval armor and my design will essentially be a slightly enlarged set of medieval armor (a little thinner too!).

This sure looks like a complete, although rough, metal "Iron Man"
523884_266099866826362_1364772354_n.jpg

And this sure looks, although rough, an awful lot like a Space Marine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E444lQ51Zds

And this looks like a working wooden exoskeleton (with what appears to be metal turntable bearings):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHsoHi4g2DI

Not saying that you are wrong, but from the looks of things, people have made things that are quite similar to what I'm going to be attempting.

Well Tony Stark built his first Iron Man suit in a cave, so why wouldn't it be possible? I really can't wait to see how your build progresses.

Well Tony Stark built his first Iron Man suit in a cave, so why wouldn't it be possible?
We're talking about a fictional character with an estimated IQ of 200+ here. Even with my estimation that the average IQ around here is decently above the norm, most of us aren't, and never will be, Tony Stark.

I put in an order for eight small turntable bearings - enough for the upper body. I'll mock the parts up with wood at first and then transfer over to aluminum or steel (likely aluminum).

The back was initially going to essentially rigid, but I'm going to try to have a set or two of vertical hinges to allow my shoulders and chest to press forward and backward. This will probably only be a very small movement, but it will hopefully help just a little.

Next, I need to figure out how to mate the upper body to the lower body - designing a rudimentary spine, with very few articulation points, given that I'll be wearing some fairly heavy and large armor. The local welding shop in town (as I don't have the proper welding tools, just soldering) will only weld 20 gauge steel sheet and 16 gauge aluminum sheet, which is a little heavy for my tastes, but for some of the parts (like the outer lip on the pauldrons, the neck, belt, and parts of the backpack) it will need to be thicker. For the other parts of the armor, I'll be drilling holes in the parts to attach them to the exoskeleton and the rest of the armor.

The exo-skeleton will likely be made from 1/4" x 1" (or 2") steel or aluminum bar.

More on Design

In looking at the boots, I'll need to figure out a way to attach the bottom of the boot to my foot. I've been considering using snowboard clips, but need to find the boot-less kind.
The alternative, would be to use bike clips/cleats in combination with ratchet buckles/straps.

As the exo-skeleton will attach to a boot, it will, in some limited way, transfer weight to the soles under my feet.

Last edited:
By sitting on the toilet, I may have just figured out a spring tension system. Not unlike a balanced arm lamp, I'll need to have two opposing springs. I've figured out the knee joint, but will need to think about this a little more to get the hip and ankle correct. The concept can easily transfer over to my arm.

I may not need the springs, as I'm not sure if they'll do any good, unless of course I'm trying to support something at the very end.

Alternatively, if I could figure out exactly how this works (maybe someone knows what I would need to buy?), the MACCEPA might be a viable option for a full-size build of Power Armour.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have some sketches of what you've figured out so far? I am eager to see it visually.

I'll see what I can do. It's mostly all in my head at the moment, I've sketched out some design, but the "final" version I have floating around upstairs... But then my design isn't too far off of some of the existing exo-skeleton prototypes.

Tomorrow, I'll work on a small-scale cardboard and wire model.

Which "existing exo-skeleton prototypes" are you referring to?

A simple search for the word "exoskeleton" brings up numerous designs. Those being developed for the military are a little beyond my ability - too many moving parts and far to expensive. The following designs are what I'm basing my prototype on, some may be older prototypes or drawings, or even sourced from movies or comic books:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHsoHi4g2DI

Exoskeleton-p2-x640.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/perseus/

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2007/november/exoskeleton_2.jpg

home_noticias_2012_08.jpg

OdhHnSX.jpg

http://www.theloop.com.au/kenchen420/portfolio/afa-powered-exoskeleton-suit-for-firefighter/166140

There are others, but the above give you an idea on what I'm basing the joints on, especially the AFA exoskeleton.

Last edited:
Speaking of things and stuff...

Most of the designs I've been working on, involve mostly flat bars to attach to the joints, which keeps the profile rather small and allow for a closer fit (and more materials to use). But... if I make it with just flat bars, it would limit the ability of fit different clothing or even allow others to wear it. So, with this in mind, I might use telescopic aluminum tubing with several set screws. By attaching the turntables to aluminum tubing, I can vary the distance between the joints, which would allow for a more accurate fit for just about anyone. This will work for the arms and legs, but I'll need to figure out another option for the shoulders and hips.

Also, as it would be aluminum tubing, I could mount far more objects more securely. Something like this would easily work. Plus, when I finally narrow down the full-scale design, I can sell this exoskeleton, without having to worry so much about recouping my costs (again, as it should fit just about anyone with telescopic parts).

I've been looking at mechanical hands - for a Power Fist on my small design and the eventual full-scale Space Marine (requiring larger hands and longer arms). My problem with the Sylgian's Power Fist is that it lacks the gripping power, but then he designed his entire WIP from mostly foam and worrying more about the weight. With a proper exoskeleton, some of the weight from the arm can be distributed to the frame. With a larger body (eight feet for a Space Marine??), there will be more room for springs or other mechanisms to assist in supporting the extremities. I've found to possible designs, the first is probably the easiest to construct and use for either builds, while the second would be more costly, but would fit with the idea of a powered suit of armor.

The first design:
http://slsa.3dn.ru/load/mechanical_hand/1-1-0-1

The second design:

http://roytherobot.com/shop/roys-arm/

The larger version

It might be a little far-fetched, but definitely possibility.
I like the first one, as it seems to have a far better grip and could be made from aluminum (with some plastic or carbon fiber pieces) instead of steel.
The second design would involve a lot more computer programming (which I know nothing about).

ANYWAY...

Here are two drawings of the proposed exo-skeleton, excluding the spine and wrist/forearm:

Upper body

IMG_0321.JPG

Lower body

IMG_0322.JPG

As opposed to having the arms connected to an odd frame, as in Bevan Fraser's design, I think an "L" type bracket on each side connected to a supported backpack within the chestpiece would work equally as well. I essentially took the lower body design of the AFA Firefighter exoskeleton - it's very simple. The lower body will have a belt connected to it - to distribute some of the weight easier, much like how a belt is used with chainmail.

The forearm/wrist and the spine are still causing me trouble...

With the forearm, I can either use a large turntable bearing (five or so inches in diameter to fit over the hand) or a couple of U-joints. With the bearing, it's going to be quite large and might interfere with the outer shell of armor. The U-joints might be easier, but I'm not entirely sure how I would make it work (at the moment).

The spine needs to bend (slightly) and twist (slightly), so I may have to use U-joints and some parallel springs (on either side of the U-joint) to help bring the spine back to center. Nothing will be connected to the head/neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back