Pros and cons of certain types of wood?

I've been working with a combination of pine plywood and poplar at the moment, and I already bought some sheets of MDF my next project, but I'm curious what other people's experiences have been with woodworking and prop making. I keep coming across people using MDF and Pine for weapons and whatnot, so I just kinda went with those. Any notable differences with the stability/longevity, ease of cutting details, splintering, etc that you've found?

I'm having good luck with MDF. Easily shapable, cheap in small amounts, and easy to carve things into. The downside is that it's soft. Thin MDF will break and crumble fairly easily, so reinforcement is a must. But dear lord does it sand well.

I do a lot of woodworking and let me say, MDF is by far my favorite wood to work with, hands down.
Just as long as your not looking for a "wood" finish.
Sands beautifully, takes to a router like a dream.
Pieces can be permanently bonded with wood glue, avoiding screws or nails.
I've used polyester resin to strengthen and coat pieces.
never splinters.
Only con I can think of is weight.
Projects can get heavy, quickly.

WoodChuck here. Not a fan of MDF because of the weight.
I use poplar a lot.It is easy to sand, finishes great, and takes wood glue and CA glue well.
I also use a lot of the 1/8 inch thick birch plywood that is sold at craft stores, like Michaels.
It comes in 12 inch by 24 inch sheets for $3.99. NOT to be confused with the model aircraft plywood that costs $16.99 for the same sized sheet.

Yeah I really like poplar and plywood compared to the sheets of MDF I have just based on the weight. Plywood doesn't shatter either I've noticed in terms of being drilled or cut if its on the thinner side.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back