My Captain America Heater Shield

BD Jones

I finally finished my Captain America heater shield. I got the basic shield back in the last week of May, but due to things getting in the way, I just now finished it. I also did something thing different that I haven't seen done on on any shields like this. WARNING: THIS POST IS LONG, AND MY CAUSE DROWSINESS.

First, I used the same heater shield that most have used:
1 - Original Shield.jpg

But the back has a strip of metal that welded around the edge (used to reinforce the shield) that makes it look less than authentic (used to reinforce the shield). So, I decided to do something about that. I filled in the back back of the shield from the reinforced edge to about three to four inches in with Bondo.
2 - Bondo Back.jpg

Next, I sanded the Bondo smooth and feathered it into the metal as best as I could. Then, I primed the back with Rust-oleum Filler Primer, wet sanded it smooth, and filled in little pinholes with Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty.
3 - Primed and Glazed Back.jpg 14 - Bondo Used.JPG

I next re-primed and re-wetsanded the back.
4 - Primed Back.jpg5 - Primed and Wet Sanded Back.jpg

Next, I painted the back. This was the first big paint decision. I tried four different gold paints. I tested each one on an extra piece of aluminum that I primed with the same primer as the shield. The four were: Rust-oleum Universal Metallic Gold, Dupli-color Gold, Rusto-leum Specialty Metallic Gold, and Design Masters Premium Gold Medal. Here are specifics on each:
Rust-oleum Universal Metallic Gold = Very durable, but more greenish-brown than gold
Dupli-color Gold = Bright, with a nice "shine", durable but gold rubs off just a bit
Rusto-leum Specialty Metallic Gold = Best gold color, also the brightest, but not durable at all. Rubs off very easily
Design Masters Premium Gold Medal = About the same color as the Dupli-color, but not as durable
All of these except the Rust-oleum Universal Metallic Gold use real metal flakes in the paint. This means that the paint will rub off a bit, but it give a nice color/shine. The various paints can be seen at the end of the post.

I went with the Dupli-color. Dupli-color recommends using the adhesion promoter (can be use on barre metal or smooth (wet sanded) metal. On my test piece, I found that it made the paint lose a bit of luster and that it didn't allow the paint to lay even coverage. I went without the adhesion promoter on the shield. I also used the Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra-Cover Gloss Clear on top of the gold. It took off a bit of shine, but not too much. It also added needed durability.
6 - Painted Back.jpg

Next up was the front. I won't go through a step-by-step for the from as it is pretty straight forward and there are plenty of references on here for painting the front. I went with a little darker blue and red than most seem to. So I used the Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra-Cover Gloss Navy Blue, Gloss Colonial Red, and Gloss White. The stripes are 2" wide. The middle star is a little larger than others, but I wanted it to stand out a bit.
7 - Painted Front.jpg

For the arm strap and handle, used dog collars. They are darker than the leather used on the original, but I like the color better. The arm strap is adjustable so it can be fitted it wearing a jacket (which I need to look for Cap's leather "Bucky Rescue" jacket) or just a shirt. The arm actually under the lower strap and against the shield itself. The handle is attached using a leather wrapped piece of 1"x1" wood. I reused the hardware that came with the shield (slightly modified) and some brass wood screws. Eventually, I will change out the buckle and keeper on the arm strap to brass ones.
16 - Arm Strap Close-up.jpg 15 - Handle Close-up.jpg

Here is a shot of the completed back. The cards are from someone here (can't remember off the top of my head, but if they are yours, THANKS A BUNCH!). The paper used is actually a manila folder. Nice card stock feel, and a old look. The tape is just masking tape.
17 - Completed Back.jpg

You can see some faint lines on the back. That came from the Frog Tape use in that area. Frog Tape sucks. The rest of the stuff was taped off with 3M painters tape or 3M Automotive Painters tape.

Here is it's final display location. The paratrooper helmet, holster, and ammo belt rig will go on the other side of the Martin…when I get around to getting that done.
19 - Final Display Location.jpg

As for stuff used, the Bondo products are above. The paints used are below (as are the gold paints and primers mentioned above). The tape used was the regular 3M painters tape (blue). I also used 3M Automotive Painters Tape (thin green) to tape off the curve between the field of blue and the stripes. It curves easily and you can do it in one strip.
8 - Paints Used and Tried.JPG

Here are specifics on the paints used (including product codes):
10 - Paints Used - Specifics.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with it. I do wish I would have spent a little more time on the back. The Bondo is not evenly distributed from the edge all the way around on the back. But, the technique is solid if anyone else wants to use this one a future shield build using the same type of heater shield base. On a related note, it does make the shield a little heavier. It is now about 5 lbs (not sure of its beginning weight, but it was lighter).

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Great job. I love the darker colors you used, it looks gorgeous. Now i'm tempted to strip down the heater shield i made and go darker too.

can you explain a bit more our construction of the handle on the back? That is the one part on my shield that I haven't been able to get just right....

Sure.

Here are the pieces of the handle.
IMG_0579.jpg

The strap is cut from a 24" long dog collar. It is the same that is used for the arm strap.
IMG_0588.jpg

The handle strap is 8.75" long:
IMG_0580.jpg

The brackets came with the shield. I modified them to fit my purpose (I like to repurpose as much as possible). They were probably 2" taller and had a hole for a screw to go through for the wooden dowel that came with the shield. They are now about .75" tall and a drilled new holes for my screws.
IMG_0581.jpg

The block is 1"x1" and 4" long. I cut it down from a scrap piece of 2x4, but you can also pickup 1x1 pieces at the local hardware store or even some craft stores. It is wrapped in some thin leather that I had left over from a bullwhip holder I made for my Indy costume some 10 years ago. It was a little lighter in color, so I darkened it up with some shoe polishing stuff I had. I stapled on the under side. I also used Gorilla Glue to help keep it tight against the wood.
IMG_0582.jpgIMG_0583.jpg

The flaps on each end are to over the black hardware:
IMG_0584.jpg IMG_0586.JPG

Here it is loosely put together. The hardware goes into the slots built-in to the shield. The leather wrapped block goes between the hardware (it fits real snug). The flaps go over the hardware. The straps on the outside of the flaps, and it is all secured with a gold painted washer and brass wood screw on each side
IMG_0587.jpg

It may not be as "refined" as some others, but like my wife asked, "Who is going to be looking at the back?" But, I know what is on the back. Eventually, I'll do some more work on it to see if I can make it better. But, for now it is off to other projects. If you have any more questions, just ask.

I've used the exact same shield in my recent build, but didn't have time to finish the handle the way I wanted. This has been most helpful! Thank you so much!

Thanks so much for the How-To! I'm starting down the Bucky Rescue costume road, so seeing this us super helpful! Did you have to alter the shape of the shield at all (especially the top ridge), or was the shape perfect?

Sorry it took so long to respond. This is the busy season for band directors.
Thanks so much for the How-To! I'm starting down the Bucky Rescue costume road, so seeing this us super helpful! Did you have to alter the shape of the shield at all (especially the top ridge), or was the shape perfect?
I only rounded off the top (the point) of the shield. The rest of the shape stayed the same. I also just sort of eyeballed it (didn't follow a pattern or any pre-determined measurements), though I did use my flexible ruler I used in college to write marching drill to draw my cut line so it would be even on both sides.
can you post some more detailed pictures of the notes attached to the back? i can't find them anywhere
I did happen to track down the threads where I go the card text from:http://www.therpf.com/f40/captain-america-tfa-123168/index4.html?highlight=card#post2255287

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back