ANOVOS Star Trek Standard TOS Kirk tunic review...

Unfated

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Like the title says this is my review for the ANOVOS Star Trek Standard TOS Kirk tunic.

Since I was a small boy I wanted an accurate Star Trek tunic. So I was excited to purchase
one. My worry was the sizing. I am a perfect size large. Chest 43, waist 36/38, neck 16.5, and
arm length 35. The premium tunic lists those sizes for their large almost exactly. Unfortunately
the premium tunics are on backorder till November 2014 and the price was a little much for me
right now. So I ordered the standard tunic from StarTrek.com They are also on backorder from Anovos'
site. I was well aware of the problems with the standard tunics sizing. Parts of it run small and other
parts run true to size. So you need to buy a size larger than you are. I took a chance. I wish I had not.

The tunic came in from StarTrek.com in very good time, and it looks nice, but fit terribly.
It's like the tunic is part medium, part large, and part extra large, The sleeve length, body length,
was more like a medium. The waist and chest like a large, and the neck like an extra large. The
overall look was short and sloppy. Any good costumer will tell you if a uniform neck it too big, the
uniform will look sloppy. This one does.

I will hand it to Anovos. The construction was mostly good. The zipper was a bit wonky and forget about
trying to hook the eye hooks yourself. I had to have my girlfriend hook them, and even she had trouble.

The tunic is nice, but unless you are a bit short, with a oversized neck (or don't mind a slightly sloppy appearance)
I can not recommend the standard tunic.

Unfated,

"How tall are you?"

Using USA Men's Size Standards you would indeed be a “Large”, however there has been a real shift in USA Standard Sizes over the last twenty years or so. Additionally our manufacturing uses a somewhat more traditional set of measures based on a more global anthropometry than is currently found in US Sizing and therefor perfect sizing over long distances is sometimes difficult to achieve. Complicating matters is the fact that our Standard Star Trek Tunics not only employ different sizing due to their manufacturing method but that the very pattern of the tunic itself has been altered from the original.

I don’t know if you were aware of this but the Standard Tunic’s pattern has been modified into a boxier cut than the rather “bell shaped” cut of the original tunics. We found over time that only a few people (Ectomorph and Mesomorph body shapes) could pull off (or indeed even feel comfortable) wearing the stylized bell shaped curve found in the original pattern that our Premier Tunics employ. Additionally when creating the XL and XXL size tunics we noticed that the bell shape took on really wonky proportions as the Original Series Tunic was never designed to accommodate those sizes.
It was with all of this in mind (including the infamous command color shift issue) that we created the Standard Star Trek Tunic. We designed it to be an easier wearing tunic for the masses (and one that would be flattering on the vast majority of people who fall into the Endomorphic body shape).

As for the arm and body length, what you describe sounds a bit odd to me (almost like you received something off or in error from our normal manufacturing), or you have a slightly longer arm and torso. I’m a standard 5’11, 216Lbs Trekkie and fit our Standard Command Tunics to a “T”, but even then they seem a tad long in the arm and body for me and again I’m 5’11. As for the collar on the Standard tunics; for Season 3 a lower collar is accurate. Oh, and those hooks and eyes just take a bit of practice. ;)
requiemformethuselahhd0300.jpg

I don’t have any pictures to work from, but over the last two years and six conventions I’ve personally fit thousands of people into our uniforms, and think I have a good understanding of what’s going on here. Now let me preface this by saying that when I fit someone into our uniforms I’m looking for one thing, and that’s the best possible appearance. I have encouraged far more people to go with a Standard Tunic over a Premier (don’t get mad Got Maul) turning away money in the process of achieving a proper fit and knowing that I’ve given somebody a uniform they’ll be happy wearing.
For instance…see the doofus in the picture below? That’s me wearing a Standard Command Tunic and holding a Premier.
image1.jpeg

I have a full line of Anovos Star Trek Tunics hanging in my closet and my personal favoriteis a Standard Kirk. It just fits me better. What can I say, I’m squidgy.

Remember at the beginning of this I asked what your height is? That’s the first question I usually ask someone who wants to try on a tunic at a convention, and it’s a good starting point when reaching for that first tunic to try on.
Based solely on the measurements you provided in your post, you would best fit our Large Premier line tunic. My advice? Return your tunic to its original packaging and return it to the Star Trek.com store. Then (and I know the waiting is going to suck) take the money returned to you and apply it to a Premier tunic. You run right down the middle of the size chart on that tunic, it has the original bell shaped patterning, and it has the precise “sound stage color”.
image4.jpeg
Premier Tunic on top of a Standard Tunic

John

Last edited:
Thank you for all that info. Maybe the problem is my collar does not sit low but stands up, and is loose. I am very tall, but I'm all leg. Every shirt own is
a large and fits well. I am 6'03" and 205lbs. It's possible I just got a bad tunic. I wish is fit me like yours fit you. I'm thinking you are right and the premium might fit much better, but I think for that price I'll have a custom sized one made. I took a quick shot of what I mean by the collar standing up and being to large. The picture does not capture it very well because I have to lift my arm to take the shot, but you can clearly see the neck is too large and sits high. I can fit all my fingers in the collar and still have room to move them around. I have no idea why it uploaded upside down. If you look hard you can also see the zipper will not go up the last 1/4 inch or so and puckers a bit.
View attachment 361277View attachment 361279

Last edited:
Looking at the picture of Kirk I can see how low his collar sits. The one I have sits much higher than that. It stands up around my neck, with space all around. :behave

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back