Ghost in the Shell "9-Weapon"

*flexes fingers* Here we go!

9-Weapon - A New-Concept Firearm
Crvena Zastava Nosle got its start as a gun manufacturer in the 90s,
as an offshoot of Z.C.Zw (Zavodi Crvena Zastava), after Serbia's
democratization and separation from Yugoslavia.
The Model 22 is the company's third marketed product.
Following the end of the twentieth century, as the world faced a
constant rise in the number of terrorism incidents and the
severity of urban crime, demand grew for a new style of firearm
with different capabilities compared to the traditional categories
of "assault rifle" and "SMG."
The 9-Weapon was developed as a man-portable firearm fit to meet
that demand. In terms of performance, it is truly a midpoint
between its two "parents," as the newly-developed 5.7mm round
affords it stopping power and range that far outstrip the
capabilities of an SMG, yet the gun retains high portability.
Additionally, since the gun was released as an all-inclusive
weapon system with its own versatile kit, it is able to meet
a broad variety of needs.
However, despite its favourable characteristics, the 9-Weapon
has come to be considered too high-powered (especially for
urban scenarios), and so popularity has been gravitating toward
guns designed for lower-powered ammunition. The 5.7mm round
itself ended up banned, and is now only used by certain special
forces units.
What this means is, we can assume that the weapons in use by
Section 9 represent some of that dead stock of a once successful
weapon.

Thank you very much! Interesting history there, not nearly as simple as one might think.

Is it OK if I post your translations on my blog? Would you like credit?

-MJ

Thank you mysterious benefactor ... Does this mean you've read Ghost in the Shell in the original Japanese?

Here's your 'reward' for translating a long one: a short one. Unless you're prefer another long one? We have one long passage left...

-Mike J.

Attachments

• Sight.jpg
    Sight.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 68
Sight
This is the optical aiming device for the 9-Weapon.
Fine adjustments can be made to the rear sight by means of a screw.

Front sight
Rear sight

===================

Yeah, GitS, Appleseed, Dominion - you name it!
I actually use the original GitS as the benchmark for my Japanese ability. Every six months or so I take it out and see how much I can read without reaching for a dictionary... because it's not exactly material you can just breeze through!
Anyway, I'm ready for another long chunk whenever you are!

Ask and ye shall receive.

I apologize in advance for the screen tone making this harder to read than the others.

This is the last long section.

-MJ

Attachments

• SMG Section.jpg
    SMG Section.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 64
Looking good! Here's that long piece:

A Fusion of Assault Rifle and SMG
"Assault rifles," which constitute the mainstay of man-portable military weaponry, can be said to have been introduced as rifles with an added full-auto firing feature. The problem is that rifle ammunition is relatively high-powered, so simply full-auto firing the same ammunition destroys any hope of maintaining consistently high accuracy. (In fact, several full-auto, man-portable weapons were produced that used rifle ammunition, but they all turned out to be pretty useless to all but the most heavily-built operators).
As such, the powder load was reduced, and the stock type changed to a straight stock (rifles up until this point employed a downward-curving stock to allow recoil to dissipate upwards). That is the assault rifle we know.
The lower-powered rounds of the assault rifle, then, gave it slightly less range and stopping power than its rifle forebears, but at the time, infantry was already beginning the march towards mechanisation, and pure range was no longer particularly emphasised. More importantly, the requisite battlefield movement speed had risen to an incomparable level, and this "man-portable firearm" was suddenly burdened with the essential need to be capable of area suppression in order to be considered effective at all.
Meanwhile, submachine guns (SMGs) also emerged, also as man-portable full-auto firearms. Despite significantly lacking in range and stopping power, they were praised for the simplicity of using existing handgun ammunition, and were effectively put to use in urban warfare and anti-crime roles, where larger ammunition would not be needed in combat in enclosed spaces.
However, the increased severity of urban crime and the greater power of firearms in the hands of criminals meant that situations where the SMG was insufficient were on the rise. To meet the new need, various companies developed weapons that would act as a midpoint between assault rifle and SMG. The 9-Weapon is one of those.

Got my LEDs. Parts are still weeks away. Even the 9mm tracer.

Here's something I put together to help me out, though I don't use it that much.

This is a 1:1 scale blueprint of the gun. I combined a bunch of the drawings. This is a 2 x 3 foot sheet.

-MJ

Attachments

• Drawings to Scale.pdf
    828.2 KB · Views: 142
I like this approach. Will you be 3d printing?

Those schematics are super convenient! I bet you could just trace them in a few base sketches and snap to them for about every feature sketch later.

Re: Ghost in the Shell "9-Weapon"

Yes, I will be 3D printing, assuming I can get away with parts half a meter long.

And the schematics are great, apart from being undimensioned. Makes my job a whole lot easier. What would be nice would be some isometric views, but the sketches from the model sheets sorta fill in the blanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a little something for our mysterious benefactor.

Attachments

• Muzzle-Flash.jpg
    Muzzle-Flash.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 79

Yes, I will be 3D printing, assuming I can get away with parts half a meter long.

What printer do you have access to with a half meter long print bed? Or are you planning to cut each piece into bits glue them together?

That's the catch.... I'll have to look at Shapeways carefully. I also know one guy here on the board who 3D prints but I don't know how big his bed is. I'm going to be pissed off If I have to cut my parts in half and rebuild them....

- - - Updated - - -

Here's tonight's progress: the butt pad! What this render does not show are my extremely sloppy mates...

Attachments

• Assembly Render 3.png
    Assembly Render 3.png
    676 KB · Views: 89
OK, Shapeways can handle a print up to 650 × 350 × 550 mm, and my rifle body is only 444 mm long. It should fit within those bounds. I'm not gonna print it all in one piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure to use the shell tool in Solidworks to hollow out larger pieces before uploading them to Shapeways. will save you a load of money on your prints.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back