Ghost in the Shell "9-Weapon"

Muzzle Flash
The muzzle flash to the right is larger.

==============================

I'm looking forward to seeing this printed out!

Thanks again. You and me both... Probably cost a small fortune, though...

Here's another piece of the model sheets:

Attachments

• Muzzle-Details.jpg
    Muzzle-Details.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 70
Left side/ Right side
The right side openings are larger.

Muzzle (Compensator)
This is the compensator fitted to the 9-Weapon muzzle. Compensators have openings on their upper surface in order to direct the muzzle blast upwards, the push-back from which prevents the gun jumping up too much when firing. On this gun, the right side openings are larger, an innovation which provides push-back to the left and down.

============================

Not too interesting, but them's the (muzzle) breaks!

Another simple one!

Standard cartridge for the Zastava Nosle M22. Functionally, this round is a midpoint between 5.56mm NATO and 9mm Parabellum. It is currently banned, and is used only by special forces units such as Section 9.

Thank you. Had hell of a time today trying to translate / look up / typeset some Japanese. Google wouldn't OCR it for some reason. Turned out it would have been easier to guess English words and translate them. Huge pain in the ass, but I got it figured out in the end. It's a Godzilla 2014 prop, in case you were wondering why it wasn't posted here.

Last edited:
Alright, I lied, there is one more long passage I'm a little curious about. Though this does not pertain to the 9-Weapon exclusively, rather, it's the header to the weapons section.

Only if you want to :)

-MJ

Attachments

• Weapons First Page.jpg
    Weapons First Page.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 60
Sorry for the wait!
=======================

The weapons in "Ghost in the Shell" are shown as items to help illustrate the 2029 setting. As such, although they loosely follow projections based on current technology, they're not strictly bound to them - instead being designed based on what will look good in a movie context.
For example, the guns are generally made of metal rather than plastics, and that's one place where you can see the director and the rest of the staff (although if we're honest, mostly the director) impressing their own ideas upon the designs. However, on the other hand, it could be that there has been progress in numerically-controlled 3-dimensional metal milling techology and improvements in alloy technology, and what we're seeing in these weapons is the effect of those improvements and such predictable trends as greater precision in gunsmithing, coupled with lower costs.
In that sense, it would be a mistake to say that the weaponry shown in "Ghost in the Shell" is always futuristic. This is something that both Mamoru Oshii (director) and Noutomi-san (weaponry concept design) have touched upon in their comments.
However, first and foremost, is the desire to design something futuristic the best way to achieve a futuristic design? This is something that many films and works in other media have failed in. In fact, it woudn't be far off to say that the concept of "a futuristic design" stopped having real meaning back in the 50s. We believe the movie that really demonstrated that once and for all was "Blade Runner." But despite all that, since we've never actually tried our hand at purely "futuristic designs," we'll have to put this down as an open question with no definite answer yet.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thank you very much for the heavy lifting.

= = = =

"Reading too much could blind a man; ain't that right, Specs?"
"Yes, I was reading something like that in the Police Gazette..."

Barrel (pointing toward muzzle)
Bolt (pointing away)
Cocking spring

With the gun in this position, all you need to do is twist the barrel a quarter turn to unlock it and let it slide forward for an easy replacement.

======================

It's been fun! I'll be following the build with much interest!

Thanks.

Just got an email from Shapeways saying my grenade parts are on their way.

Part of my tracer round is still pending, I don't know why.

-MJ

Received my grenade parts a while ago. They fit together pretty well. Of course, since I didn't engineer in any sort of locking mechanism, they come apart just as easily. But the LEDs fit. The print quality leaves a little something to be desired. Some lettering on the base of the shell didn't come out, or got obscured by the polishing process. One of the pieces has some rough stair-stepping on one side, but not the other, which will need to be sanded. Despite knowing exactly how big it is, it's a bit smaller than I imagined. I'll have to take a photo and compare my grenade to the Major's.

My radio-isotope tracer was held up for a few weeks for some reason. As soon as I emailed Shapeways about it, they got it out the door. I should have the parts in my hands tomorrow evening.

No progress on the gun itself.

As a consolation prize, have this image I found:

Attachments

• Motoko_Kusanagi_Batou_Ghost_in_the_Shell_2801x1720.jpg
    Motoko_Kusanagi_Batou_Ghost_in_the_Shell_2801x1720.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 118
Illustrations for special bonus telephone cards (illustrations: Hiroyuki Okiura) - An unusual look at Motoko and Batou as deformed characters

You know, the more I see of these illustrations, the more I realise that I owned this book, ha ha! It ended up in a huge bag of books sold off to BOOK-OFF last time I moved.

Just filled my bullets with BBs and epoxy. Impromptu photo session! Ignore the BPRD box.

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 93
Re: Ghost in the Shell "9-Weapon"

Dear Mike.J,
Sorry to interrupt you, but would you like to share the book 'The analysis of Ghost in the Shell' with me?....I have been looking for that book for several days but failed...
Anyway, thank you so much.
Yours sincerely,
MatrixC7

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back