The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

well I'm not from UK but i use/used , stil working on my outfit, an inox colord spray. it's like a dark silver and when weathered i think it looks perfect.

Quick question:

I've got a Star Lord helmet and a cast of a Sony Walkman that need to be spray painted.

Can someone give me some guidance of the right colours to use, that are available for purchase in the UK?

I've googled so many colours mentioned on the forums here and they all seem to be readily available in Walmart in the USA but I can't find them in the UK.

Any help much appreciated, I'm trying to get this sorted before the UK Comicon at the end of October.

My star lord at the moment more info coming in the edit

the edit:

so don't look at the pants!! still need a pants :p

but starting at the top, the helmet is the Xcoser helmet the latest version painted it myself and the lenses are on their way from Risu
the jacket is one of Danny's and so are the spats ( not in picture)
the guns ( i do have 2) are the nerf guns with NO mods and new paintjob
the orb is ( i think) one of Helgaks first designs not sure anymore where i got it from its this thing that got it all started
the bag is from ThinkGeek its a wonderfull bag buit a little but to light in my taste and i will be weathering is shortly

to do:
weather the bag ( thats the next i'm going to do
belt-kit, gun straps, bootrockets and rocketcontrolls are all on their way from Novaprops ( if i could just give in the correct adres this would all be much easyer, sorry Novaprops!!)
and i need a set of pants( this is for the long term) i will be using just a normal pants for now ( black working pants) and wiill be making/obtaining one later for financial reasons

9ee2085fdfec6c4b52027ad8aedf5e16.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I'm getting closer to finishing my helmet (which is based on access to screen-used reference), I've started thinking about the eye lighting. The real helmet, as well as most fan builds, have used LEDs in various configurations, but I wonder how much folks have taken eye safety into account. LEDs can cause eye-damage if viewed for a longer time, according to some reports, and the Star Lord helmet requires having a ring of them very close to your eyes. Even if you're not viewing them directly, they are emitting light that will scatter into your eyes. For that reason, I've started researching a lot of safety sheets. (Most makers of LEDs dont' really count on a person having them right in front of their eyes.) I would assume (or at least hope) that the film production did their research before subjecting Pratt to anything harmful, even though the lighting was significantly enhanced in post-production. If I can't guarantee that the application will be 100% safe, my helmet will not have eye lights while being worn.

As I'm getting closer to finishing my helmet (which is based on access to screen-used reference), I've started thinking about the eye lighting. The real helmet, as well as most fan builds, have used LEDs in various configurations, but I wonder how much folks have taken eye safety into account. LEDs can cause eye-damage if viewed for a longer time, according to some reports, and the Star Lord helmet requires having a ring of them very close to your eyes. Even if you're not viewing them directly, they are emitting light that will scatter into your eyes. For that reason, I've started researching a lot of safety sheets. (Most makers of LEDs dont' really count on a person having them right in front of their eyes.) I would assume (or at least hope) that the film production did their research before subjecting Pratt to anything harmful, even though the lighting was significantly enhanced in post-production. If I can't guarantee that the application will be 100% safe, my helmet will not have eye lights while being worn.

Most people are using light blue filters, aren't they? I think even the movie helmet has blue lenses on the inside.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=208660&page=13&p=3388934&viewfull=1#post3388934

Last edited:
Most people are using light blue filters, aren't they? I think even the movie helmet has blue lenses on the inside.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=208660&page=13&p=3388934&viewfull=1#post3388934

Red LEDs with blue lenses, correct. (Under some lighting conditions the lenses have a slight teal tint to them, but that could be due to the lighting.) Either way, blue lenses actually complicates matters since most harmful light radiation is in the blue spectrum, so they will absorb less of it. I'm currently experimenting with different mounting rings with build-in diffusers for the LEDs (I'm not using strip, but individual components) so that I can position them the way I want.

Red LEDs with blue lenses, correct. (Under some lighting conditions the lenses have a slight teal tint to them, but that could be due to the lighting.) Either way, blue lenses actually complicates matters since most harmful light radiation is in the blue spectrum, so they will absorb less of it. I'm currently experimenting with different mounting rings with build-in diffusers for the LEDs (I'm not using strip, but individual components) so that I can position them the way I want.

The blue filter will cancel the red light and let the blue light in from ambient sources. It's the same amount of blue light your eyes would take in naturally. Why worry about it?

The blue filter will cancel the red light and let the blue light in from ambient sources. It's the same amount of blue light your eyes would take in naturally. Why worry about it?

It's not that simple. First off, it's BLUE light that is most harmful to the eyes, (going down to the ultraviolet of course). Red LEDs can emit radiation in other parts of the spectrum. If you want to get real hard-core, you would also have to know that the lenses you are using actually filter out the frequency range that the led emits; just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. (That's why you have sunglasses with confirmed UV-range filtration and why you should avoid cheap ones.)

The typical Star Lord configuration (which also appears to be screen accurate according the to the inside-helmet shot I've seen) also has the LEDs behind the lenses, where your eyes are... so the lenses aren't doing the wearer any good unless you have two layers of them (which I might end up having).

Just like I take care not to breathe in paint or resin fumes, I take care when messing with other potentially harmful things as well. Health>Props.

It's not that simple. First off, it's BLUE light that is most harmful to the eyes, (going down to the ultraviolet of course). Red LEDs can emit radiation in other parts of the spectrum. If you want to get real hard-core, you would also have to know that the lenses you are using actually filter out the frequency range that the led emits; just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. (That's why you have sunglasses with confirmed UV-range filtration and why you should avoid cheap ones.)

The typical Star Lord configuration (which also appears to be screen accurate according the to the inside-helmet shot I've seen) also has the LEDs behind the lenses, where your eyes are... so the lenses aren't doing the wearer any good unless you have two layers of them (which I might end up having).

Just like I take care not to breathe in paint or resin fumes, I take care when messing with other potentially harmful things as well. Health>Props.

A good modern LED will have a bandwidth of maybe 25-27nm.

Also, red, green, and blue (RGB) are primary colors in light. That means an LED that could cast light in both red and blue wavelengths would be magenta to the eye.

Last edited:
Seems like we might be getting the trailer as soon as this weekend with the release of Dr. Strange. I like his costume so far, very similar to what he's used before, those blasters, the helmet, the cassette player and earphones, the buckle and the belt seem exactly what we saw last time but everything else is an upgrade. Really liking that long coat, that seems easier to make than last time actually as the backpack and the tee doesn't have that hard to get collar from last time. Those fingerless gloves are also pretty sweet. I can't wait to start working on all of these! Hopefully we'll get a clearer shot of the back in the trailer.

Also did anyone notice that he's using three different jackets like last movie? Two short ones and the long coat. Wonder which one he'll be using for the most part on this one.

A good modern LED will have a bandwidth of maybe 25-27nm.

Also, red, green, and blue (RGB) are primary colors in light. That means an LED that could cast light in both red and blue wavelengths would be magenta to the eye.
LED manufacturers usually state peak output, with a noticeable dropoff across other parts of the spectrum. I did a test with the finished LED ring, holding them where my eye would be for 20 seconds. Afterward, my vision was noticeably affected for maybe 10-15 minutes. But after experimenting with a few different configurations of filter and angle positioning of the diodes, I have a configuration that's looks bright on the outside but doesn't bother the eyes while wearing.

I don't know if the new movie is going to get its own thread or whatever, but here's a small album with some screenshots from the new trailer.
http://imgur.com/a/2CRRN

The teaser was great. Interesting, but perhaps not too surprising, how much simpler the costumes seem to be this time around. Quill's long coat looks very much like it does in the comics.

LED manufacturers usually state peak output, with a noticeable dropoff across other parts of the spectrum. I did a test with the finished LED ring, holding them where my eye would be for 20 seconds. Afterward, my vision was noticeably affected for maybe 10-15 minutes. But after experimenting with a few different configurations of filter and angle positioning of the diodes, I have a configuration that's looks bright on the outside but doesn't bother the eyes while wearing.

The teaser was great. Interesting, but perhaps not too surprising, how much simpler the costumes seem to be this time around. Quill's long coat looks very much like it does in the comics.
Yes, only something like a laser would have a super-tight bandwidth with minimal dropoff. But, a red LED will definitely not drop off into blue or UV.

http://www.oksolar.com/led/led_color_chart.htm
led_tech-gi-1.gif

I'm probably just going to do a simple etched grid lens, ring of led, blue lens/filter for my setup.

Yeah, all of Quill's stuff looks simpler than the first movie. Maybe someone took pity on poor cosplayers and decided to tone it down a little bit....:D

Trying to figure out what's printed on that grey shirt too. Looks like a mish-mash of stylized Asian characters. Did Quill get a sponsorship from some space corporation?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out what's printed on that grey shirt too. Looks like a mish-mash of stylized Asian characters. Did Quill get a sponsorship from some space corporation?

I'm not sure what the first line says because I can't see it well in those screenshots, but I'm pretty sure the bottom line says BECKY, lol.

I'll just throw this in here as well to get more eyes on it for those not following the movie thread:

I'm pretty sure this is a Greek based language.

v2shirtstudySoulinertia.jpg

Yeah, looks pretty close. I still think a few of those larger letters are based on Kanji. Also, there is a straight-up bracket [ in the bottom word.

I can only imagine what the prop teams translation chart looks like.

Hi everyone, been lurking on the boards for a while now while building my Star Lord cosplay. I've been working off the instagram photos posted and love love love the new trailer...

Figured I'd try to bring something to the table on my first post, so I drew this based on what I could piece together..IMG_0564.JPG

Going to clean it up in illustrator tonight, what do you all think?

IMG_0564.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back