The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Find a cheap vinyl jacket and mod the daylights out of it. Vinyl is pretty cheap so you can easily add parts and pieces to it.

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know if it's possible to give vinyl a weathered look? This is the jacket I'm using. Just a way to darken it in some places to make it look worn would be great.

319442133.jpg

So I started work on my mask last night - got it resin printed as a kit. Who has worked w/resin printed props before? Specifically, I need make a cut through one side (to separate the mask into a front and back piece instead of unibody) and this cut needs to be clean and preferably thin. Recommendations?

Also, any preferences on mini-battery packs for LEDs?

Use a fine tooth hacksaw blade to make your cut. For batteries, it depends how much juice you need. I try to use coin cells when I can

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know if it's possible to give vinyl a weathered look? This is the jacket I'm using. Just a way to darken it in some places to make it look worn would be great.

View attachment 363421

I think you'll have trouble getting anything to stick to vinyl, since the material is meant to resist stains/water etc. Don't take my word for it, but i've heard of people aging clothes with sand paper. rubbing lightly with a fine grit sand paper can help to make it rougher, and there for less shiny in the parts you want to age. You could also try something dark...maybe shoe polish?...to try and add some darkness to the parts you want to age.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, i've never tried anything like this. Anybody else got ideas?

View attachment 363421

Maybe try some leather shoe stain? that stuff is pretty dang strong!
Or, doing mistings of paint is always an option (though usually not the best)

I think you'll have trouble getting anything to stick to vinyl, since the material is meant to resist stains/water etc. Don't take my word for it, but i've heard of people aging clothes with sand paper. rubbing lightly with a fine grit sand paper can help to make it rougher, and there for less shiny in the parts you want to age. You could also try something dark...maybe shoe polish?...to try and add some darkness to the parts you want to age.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, i've never tried anything like this. Anybody else got ideas?

Maybe try some leather shoe stain? that stuff is pretty dang strong!
Or, doing mistings of paint is always an option (though usually not the best)

I know JoAnn Fabrics recently started selling a vinyl fabric paint. I've done a test with it and it seems to work pretty well at being permanent.

Thanks guys! If I were to use vinyl fabric paint or shoe polish, what would be the process for applying it to the jacket?

I'm not disagreeing with the Sketchers at all but merely saying for a quick construction you could look at trendy casual motorcycle boots! Similar how it was discovered that the new Star Trek boots were motorcycle boots from Puma.

View attachment 359657

Having worked with leather for six years making Can Jack Sparrow items I am attempting to make the boots using the Sketchers and overlaying and gluing on the leather. I wear Sketchers so I have a rough construction sketck. Now to find the greeblies that hold it all together at Tandy leather. I hand stitch so this will be challenging!!!

Hey, this might be answered in a few posts down, but what kind of boots are these exactly? They look amazing.

Hey everybody, I went to the Sherman Oaks Arclight yesterday and took a really good look at the costumes. I just wanted to mention some things I observed.

1. Quill's shirt isn't blue, its a cool charcoal grey.
2. The snaps on the jacket and pants aren't hammered flat, they're a special magnetic snap, in aged brass.
3. The jacket is made from what I think is deep red goatskin, but it COULD be lambskin. The red twill matches the leather in color, it might even be slightly darker. The difference in color between different panels isn't because of fading or distressing, they used two different shades of red silk screening ink on the jacket.
4. The brown parts of the boots: The pieces with the slots punched out on the foot and below the knee are two layers of tooling leather. The wrapped section is distressed brown garment cowhide wrapped around tooling leather.
5. The lining of the jacket is a medium grey polyester mesh with a lighter grey or blue satin behind it. When I took a picture with flash that backing fabric lit up and looked crazy.

The pants are motorcycle armor, maybe not even custom. I dont feel like searching through the thousands of motorcycle pants that are made to find a perfect match( also they look to be expensive maybe over $400) so im just using these, as a bonus they are riding pants I will use any other time anyways. 54903_2.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Strength-Black-Armored-Pants/dp/B00MOJPB5Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408324009&sr=8-4&keywords=speed+and+strength+dogs+of+war

They're definitely custom! Marvel has gone just about all custom when it comes to their costumes.

Those pants do look good though

His whole costume is custom, but it's definitely inspired by riders and pilots. Red leather jacket, leather half/chaps, extra zippers and buttons everywhere. But none of it is off the shelf. I don't think Marvel would allow that at this point.

It's about 4" in diameter I think. It doesn't light up . . . yet :D

I didn't take any progress pics for this one, I just went for it. I'll document my second version though. There are a few things I plan on changing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back