The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Prepping for a con this weekend. Got pretty much almost everything. But I need help with the belt and gaiters

So far I've got
- Helmet (scratchbuilt)
- Blaster (nerf)
- Jacket ( bought 2 from diff manufacturers)
- Pants( Grey motocross)
-Boots (motocross)
- Gloves ( military tactical gloves)
-Walkman ( Sony)
-Headphones (Random close enough ones)

I'm definitely going the way of making the jacket, to replicate the pattern I'm thinking a custom fabric printing service like spoonflower, which offers cotton twill. Bellow is the test I did quick.
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/3416119
Double checking I can see my pattern is real inaccurate, but the general sawtooth/triangle pattern seems correct. Unfortunately getting the reflective quality will take embossing/printing onto already red fabric.

I read somewhere, here, that waxing the fabric might have been part of the process to get that shiny look, but i could be mistaken

Has anyone figured out what brand and model his gloves are? Whether they are off the shelf or made specific for this film?
PM me and I'll show you what I did to get to this point. Mind you, I opted to hand stitch two sets of garden gloves after murduring one set of used glvoes (hence the stains and crap, but hey....space gloves, right? This took me two weeks and a lot of finger pain, LOL. I super glued the knuckle armor bits as well as that longer bit on the back and was surprised at how well it worked!
INCORRECT gloves...mine.jpg
aaand the image that I *just now* found...
CORRECT gloves.jpg
At the end of the day, this was the very first bit of replica costuming I have ever attempted, but I'm in the same boat as you...if someone finds the correct gloves, please....oh please....respond and I'll do the world a favor and return these garden gloves back to my yard work drawer in my garage, heh! :facepalm

Ok guys, i was sitting here analysing the boots and were i'm going to start from, and i noticed that his boots have a steel tip lining under the leather on the front. Does anyone else concur?
Steel Tip Boots.jpgSteel Tip Boots1.jpg

Could be, if its a lining i wonder what type as it seems to have an aluminum finish look. If i can find a material like that, that would save me time in hammering out a peace of aluminum there in the front.

So I had a bit of time to work on this more....I posted these to my G+ already but.....
2014-09-01.jpg20140901_225151_Spring%u00252BValley%u00252BRd.jpg
20140901_225025_Spring%u00252BValley%u00252BRd.jpg20140901_225134_Spring%u00252BValley%u00252BRd.jpg20140901_225119_Spring%u00252BValley%u00252BRd.jpg

I'm really quite stoked with this so far.....

A couple of things. Each barrel is actually just a Neopixel with a circular diffuser that has a concave cut into it to make it diffuse the light evenly 360 degrees.
It's controlled by a Arduino Trinket. There's a single button (located below the 2 original buttons from the Nerf gun) that has 3 functions currently:
1. (single button push) Fire (fires all 3 barrels at once, might add a mode to fire all 3 or fire each individually)
2. (double button push quickly) Cycle color (OFF, White, Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Cyan, Purple)
3. (single press and hold for 2 seconds) Cycle brightness

What you can't see is that on the lower brightness settings, it actually 'shimmers', kinda giving it that pulsating look (I wanted to make it look like that). On the higher brightness levels it basically looks like it's fully on.

The coloring I'm quite pleased with. I would have liked to maybe make the silver parts be a bit less silvery, but I really didn't feel like taking the time to do it. If I had only put on a light coat of silver paint, it would have looked more 'used' like the movie guns.

Lastly, as you will notice in the 1 picture up above....yes, it is magnetic, and YES, it will hold quite well actually (I could almost get it to rotate 360 degrees and not lose grip.....). I can't wait to finish this gun and the other one.

Attachments

• 2014-09-01.jpg
    2014-09-01.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 213
Nice work with the lights. After watching GOTG a second time I noticed the lethal blasts come out of the top barrel and are a yellowish pulsing blast. When he just wants to stun them it's more of a purplish electrical blast out of the lower barrel.

Nice work with the lights. After watching GOTG a second time I noticed the lethal blasts come out of the top barrel and are a yellowish pulsing blast. When he just wants to stun them it's more of a purplish electrical blast out of the lower barrel.

Thanks, I'll have to go back and watch it again to try and get the coloring right, just for the sake of getting it right.

has anyone made a pattern for the screenprinted detail on the jacket? just as far as the triangular pattern goes anyway?

i've been trying my hardest to make one, but with meager photoshop skills its proving to be a very frustrating venture in getting the shapes lined up.

Last edited:
He hasn't made it public as far as I know. The two of them are working together on the belt

Thanks. Someone had posted a template a couble of days ago, thought it was in this thread.... Was on the mobile so didn't have a chance to save it to my Star Lord file, now can't find it again oh well. Doesn't change the fact that I will still have to make my own belt.

PM me and I'll show you what I did to get to this point. Mind you, I opted to hand stitch two sets of garden gloves after murduring one set of used glvoes (hence the stains and crap, but hey....space gloves, right? This took me two weeks and a lot of finger pain, LOL. I super glued the knuckle armor bits as well as that longer bit on the back and was surprised at how well it worked!
View attachment 371011
aaand the image that I *just now* found...
View attachment 371012
At the end of the day, this was the very first bit of replica costuming I have ever attempted, but I'm in the same boat as you...if someone finds the correct gloves, please....oh please....respond and I'll do the world a favor and return these garden gloves back to my yard work drawer in my garage, heh! :facepalm

For just seeing that image you did a great job! I was thinking a combination of mechanix and military gloves but it looks like garden gloves fit the bill.

For just seeing that image you did a great job! I was thinking a combination of mechanix and military gloves but it looks like garden gloves fit the bill.
....huh? What? I did something right? AWESOME! Please post images, make and model number of what ever gloves you go with - I'd be totally interested in getting this right...and I mean RIGHT. (I'm a terrible perfectionist) :p

....huh? What? I did something right? AWESOME! Please post images, make and model number of what ever gloves you go with - I'd be totally interested in getting this right...and I mean RIGHT. (I'm a terrible perfectionist) :p

My Star Lord will be about a year in the future... I'm in the process of gathering info and making the shopping list.
So by the time I make gloves, I believe there will be perfect examples out there. Besides with budget and time constraints, think the 10 foot rule will need to be applied so I know mine will be less than perfect.

My Star Lord will be about a year in the future... I'm in the process of gathering info and making the shopping list.
So by the time I make gloves, I believe there will be perfect examples out there. Besides with budget and time constraints, think the 10 foot rule will need to be applied so I know mine will be less than perfect.

Ahhh, okay. Mine will do in the meantime, but I must give credit where credit is due on where I found the image of the accurate gloves.
It's one of our own here on RPF and here's thain's post with more great images Thank you thain, who wrote;
Yeah, Marvel is killing it right now with these close-up shots of costume pieces...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back