The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Okay guys. Taking on Star Lord for work Halloween. Starting now because I want time to be accurate. How accurate is the pattern of the Cosplay Sky short jacket? Not the pattern printed on the twill, but if I buy it, and dismantle the jacket completely and lay out each resulting pattern piece out. . . How accurate is it?

Okay guys. Taking on Star Lord for work Halloween. Starting now because I want time to be accurate. How accurate is the pattern of the Cosplay Sky short jacket? Not the pattern printed on the twill, but if I buy it, and dismantle the jacket completely and lay out each resulting pattern piece out. . . How accurate is it?

If you're going to go that far it would probably be easier/better to grab a secondhand Dannylopuz jacket

If you're going to go that far it would probably be easier/better to grab a secondhand Dannylopuz jacket

Okay. How do I go about that? As a Google search really only pulls up Johnny Depp and an MMA fighter. Hah. Secondly, having located photos of a couple of his jackets on here, does/did he use genuine leather? I haaaaaaate pleather and, maybe it's the camera used, but it looks like pleather.

Okay. How do I go about that? As a Google search really only pulls up Johnny Depp and an MMA fighter. Hah. Secondly, having located a couple of his jackets on here, does/did he use genuine leather? I haaaaaaate pleather and, maybe it's the camera used, but it looks like pleather.

It's real leather! And there may be some in the junkyard. I'm shooting you a pm

Star-Lord vest (first act under-long-coat layer) - complete

Finished the vest in finest tradition the night before the event, but this is the finished piece. Was a great relief to take off the long coat and air out in this piece and still look costumed.
The metal bits are only Worbla finished silver with paint and RubNBuff, attached with E-6000 after roughing up the leather. A couple were loosened by transport in my stuffed backpack - if only there been a touch more curing time for the glue! The crushing in the backpack is why the leather currently is a bit wrinkled looking.

All in all, another challenging build in true over-complicated Marvel costume fashion (like, were all the straps necessary? the odd snap side fastening? what the heck does a valve do on a vest?? Oh Marvel you hate cosplayers don't you...) I have a few making of pics, if anyone ever wants vague pattern ideas.

Hey everyone don't know if this has been posted before but I found a beautiful accurate short jacket from Magnoli Clothiers if you don't mind paying $750 extra-image-1624.jpg

extra-image-1624.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what the heck does a valve do on a vest??

I believe Star-Lords outfits are supposed to act like spacesuits.

Valves would likely be part of the internal pressurization system. To keep your body from expanding in vacuum.

Also.... @sdasi1

Magnoli is a well-known and regular participant here in the forums. His products are well-regarded. And yes, I would love to have that jacket.

Late to the Star Lord game. Got my Zlurpo bag and beat the ever-living-crud out it.Thought I'd though a few shots up of it...love any feedback.Clean bag.jpgdirty bag.jpg

I have distress the main part of the bag more since these shots were taken. The first picture is from Zlurpo's etsy store. ( I forgot to take a shot of my bag before I weathered it.)

Has anyone added a clip to their tps l2?
If not, any suggestions?

I'll chip in - I did add a clip to my tps l2. It felt a bit heretical, but it's mine to abuse. I didn't want to abuse it TOO badly, so this is what I did.

1. Got a phone case with holster for a tablet-phone (iphone 6 plus) for cheap. Kept the case for my phone and cut the holster down to size (too long for the Walkman). Cut a divot so I could access the battery of the Walkman and, more importantly, the little slider button that would let me open the battery section.

This holster style was what I wanted - the plastic grips belts or waistbands fairly tightly and doesn't shift - hence no scratching on leather belts. Also, it swivels. Previously I had a cardboard mock-up of the Walkman with a belt clip like you can get at Tandy leather. Hated it - the Tandy clip scratched the heck out of my belt, and when I sat down or squatted, the fake Walkman would leap for freedom as my leg came into contact with the bottom of the Walkman and forced the clip up and off my belt. By swiveling the Walkman on this iPhone holster, I avoid a lot of problems.

The cuts are rough simply because I don't have the tools and actually used tin snips like a savage. Disregard the craftsmanship.

2. Attaching the plastic holster to the Walkman without damaging paint or drilling holes or having any other final solution re: epoxy glues or whatever - for this I used Sticky Stuff. It's a pressure-sensitive double sided tape that's tough as heck. If the film industry uses it to hang things weighing up to three or five pounds on walls on sets, I figured it could handle a Walkman. Best of all, it stays until I grab a corner of if and pull horizontally - it stretches and comes off smooth surfaces cleanly. (Don't use it on wallpaper though.) I laid four strips lengthwise on the Walkman, pulled off the paper back, and pressed the holster into place.

Basically, this stuff is like Command strips, if you know that brand instead.

3. That was it. I've worn the Walkman out several times, and the bond of this stuff is such that I am not worried about the Walkman detaching. The holster grip holds the weight of the Walkman well, and I can sit down without it crashing on the floor by giving it a twist so it angles nicely.

In general, I will say that the Walkman is bulky and heavy, and no clip solution is perfect. This is probably why the original had a full-on soft vinyl case with a purse strap system. The prop people at Marvel are crazy. It looks good, the clip system but it's precarious.

I wish there were easier ways to deal with the headphone cords, I'm always catching mine.

Hope that helps. I know there are some other posts on attaching Walkman's to clips, but the search function isn't very discerning.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-23-51-16-1.png
Looks like it might be a Z3C belt clip for a
Sony Xperia Z3 mini compact holster.

It could also be a lifeactiv belt clip, I like the idea
Of that one a lot.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back