The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Damn, mine didn't come with any tape at all :(

I bought similar clips that didn't come with tape. To attach them to the blasters, I drilled a few holes into the grip to match the screw holes, and then squeezed in some Apoxie Sculpt. With holes on either side of the join, it's pretty strong.

Here's the first outing, have some tweaking to do but overall not too bad...
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

After Shirra reported that the clips working so well, I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Black-Universal-Swivel-Clip/dp/B0012NVPTO/

It comes with two male end tabs, with sticky backing, one female end that you can clip to your belt or pocket, ad one female end with backing tape (I'm thinking of using these to hang my quad blasters from my wall for storage/display.

I've got my Halloween version done. Will be working on converting it to full cosplay by spring. Got the Hanes shirt, the quad blasters, orange pad headphones, Those are pretty final. Picked up a Red Pleather coat from Wilson's over Columbus Day for $60, but want to get one of the more screen accurate ones. For pants, I'm just using some old work Blue BDUs that will work for now, and some duty boots for shoes. Those are going to be replaced by Planet Comiccon as well. and then the final piece is I need to find a source for a good helmet/mask by then too.

Here's a picture of the Halloween setup minus the shoes. You can't really tell in the picture, but the Right blaster is clipped to my pocket and my hand is resting on it, not holding it.

Starlord01.jpg

Attachments

• Starlord01.jpg
    Starlord01.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Starlord01.jpg
    Starlord01.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy foam 3M tape at most stores, like Michael's Arts & Crafts, Home Depot, Target, Staples, etc. Go to the section that has all of the plastic hooks, such as Command. You should find foam 3M tape sold separately. Also, I believe the office supply section should also sell a roll of it. Not sure which would be cheaper.

Thanks! I used the same stuff that Ein used in his thread, Spazstix orange/purple/teal color shifting paint. The base color is krylon aluminum. I airbrushed Mr. Hobby gloss black on the tips, followed by 6 or seven coats of the Spazstix. It looks really great in sunlight.

I also noticed something that I haven't seen anyone talk about on here yet, if you want the NERF quad blasters for your costume, you're better off going to Toy R Us right now. They're only $21 (+ Tax) as opposed to $30 like I've seen on Amazon (although there has been some price drop recently) and no shipping. They're a bit tricky to find as they're in the Marvel Toys section rather than with the rest of the NERF guns.

I also noticed something that I haven't seen anyone talk about on here yet, if you want the NERF quad blasters for your costume, you're better off going to Toy R Us right now. They're only $21 (+ Tax) as opposed to $30 like I've seen on Amazon (although there has been some price drop recently) and no shipping. They're a bit tricky to find as they're in the Marvel Toys section rather than with the rest of the NERF guns.
I got mine at target for $15 a piece

Airbrush...sadface...oh well! Thanks for the color suggestions from @Ein :D

Thanks! I used the same stuff that Ein used in his thread, Spazstix orange/purple/teal color shifting paint. The base color is krylon aluminum. I airbrushed Mr. Hobby gloss black on the tips, followed by 6 or seven coats of the Spazstix. It looks really great in sunlight.

Last edited:
Battle weary used look. After 2 days and 10 hours of hand painting. Primered and then painted using metallic Tamiya and various misc paint acrylics. Sealed with a semi gloss coat. All the painting credit goes to my my buddy who use to work in the movie industry. I know an airbrush system would have yield faster and better results but am happy with what I had to work with at home. $109 X-Coser Star Lord PVC helmet modified to the best of my ability. I know it is not screen accurate but good enough for now. Dremeled off the company logos on the sides, added 4 qty per side 1/8" 4-40 Allen head set screws at the lower bottom helmet breather tube areas for additional details and lastly 2 qty per side Dubro 2.5mm x 4 set socket head screws. Will paint these silver with some wear in the future. For the eye areas: retro John Lennon style round red tint sunglasses lens used along with screen door wire mesh backing. Added a remote control RGB LED lighting strips with a T connector. 1 strip of 6 LEDs per eye. Can turn on and off, 3 levels of brightness, different colors and other bells and whistle. This takes up alot of room plus i wear glasses so this is TEMP use only! Awaiting a remote control micro string RED LED system via RTGS Products in early 2015 hopefully!! if this comes to fruition i will drill out a small pilot hole to add a small RED LED light to the right side area of the helmet as seen in the movie. All that is left to do is to configure the helmet padding. Will be working on my son's helmet next.

20141029_034552.jpg 20141029_034603.jpg 20141029_034812.jpg 20141029_034748.jpg 20141029_034802.jpg

Last edited:
Well, mine is looking kind of bleak at the moment. My bucket base hasn't arrived yet, my (3rd) jacket hasn't arrived yet, and I've done F'd up my blasters between disassembly and carving out the ovals to put actual screen/mesh behind them - now the top barrel won't stay in the 'down' position - some of the support plastic I carved off was apparently the latch =0(

Battle weary used look. After 2 days and 10 hours of hand painting. Primered and then painted using metallic Tamiya and various misc paint acrylics. Sealed with a semi gloss coat. All the painting credit goes to my my buddy who use to work in the movie industry. I know an airbrush system would have yield faster and better results but am happy with what I had to work with at home. $109 X-Coser Star Lord PVC helmet modified to the best of my ability. I know it is not screen accurate but good enough for now. Dremeled off the company logos on the sides, added 4 qty per side 1/8" 4-40 Allen head set screws at the lower bottom helmet breather tube areas for additional details and lastly 2 qty per side Dubro 2.5mm x 4 set socket head screws. Will paint these silver with some wear in the future. For the eye areas: retro John Lennon style round red tint sunglasses lens used along with screen door wire mesh backing. Added a remote control RGB LED lighting strips with a T connector. 1 strip of 6 LEDs per eye. Can turn on and off, 3 levels of brightness, different colors and other bells and whistle. This takes up alot of room plus i wear glasses so this is TEMP use only! Awaiting a remote control micro string RED LED system via RTGS Products in early 2015 hopefully!! if this comes to fruition i will drill out a small pilot hole to add a small RED LED light to the right side area of the helmet as seen in the movie. All that is left to do is to configure the helmet padding. Will be working on my son's helmet next.

View attachment 397018 View attachment 397019 View attachment 397022 View attachment 397020 View attachment 397021

Overall, what's you review of those helmets? I was thinking of getting one as it seems the cheapest option.

If I may chime in here a second.

That looks like the large version of the helmet I bought (am I allowed to say the brand name?), it is about 2.5" between the eye holes (not between the center of the holes) and was too wide for me. My pupils are 2.5" apart so I couldn't see anything when I mocked up the dimensions with paper because half my eye was covered.

I ended up with the normal size model, which is about 1.5" between the eye holes. It has various problems and I am thinking of starting a topic about it if allowed and if I can figure out how to get pictures onto the internet.

Is there interest in a topic like that?

In any case, assuming it is the same brand and I'm nearly 100% sure it is, I would not recommend the normal size at this moment for many reasons. I cannot speak to the larger size except to say check your eye distance. It's 2.5" between the eye holes as stated by the seller. I don't know if I'm allowed to name the site I bought it on so I will refrain from doing so until clarified.

I hope this information is helpful.

I received the Uglybros jeans today they are very good to start the project. My only problem is the fit on the legs, even for a mannequin it is very tight.

Hey everyone. I know a bunch of you are still looking for a decent pair of pants for your Star Lord costumes. Earlier somebody mentioned that motorcycle pants would work great, but that they're typically way too expensive. Someone else mentioned a company called UglyBros, who make motorcycle pant inspired jeans, but those also usually go for a few hundred bucks. After doing some digging, I found a site called aliexpress.com that's pretty much a site dedicated to selling cheap knock offs. I found a pair of "UglyBros" jeans that looked like they would work wonderfully. I paid 80 bucks for them, which is a lot more than most of us would normally pay for a pair of jeans, but considering the real ones go for 300+ bucks, I figured it was a good investment. I was a bit worried about the quality, but after receiving them, I can tell you that they're fantastic. It's honestly hard to tell they're even knock offs. The stitching is great, the material is thick and sturdy, they fit nicely and look awesome. Are they 100% accurate? Not even close. They're close enough for me to be happy though, and they look like they'd serve as a great base for anyone who wanted to mod them into something closer to the screen used pair.

View attachment 389238
If you're interested in getting yourself a pair, search aliexpress for "uglybros" and you'll find a bunch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, these are shipping from CHINA. It took nearly a whole month for these to arrive from the date I ordered them. So if you order them now, they definitely won't arrive before Halloween.

Overall, what's you review of those helmets? I was thinking of getting one as it seems the cheapest option.

I think for the monies it is a great but not without work. I paid $109 total shipped and they gave me $10 credit refund as the Glow Glass option looks good but not for cosplay but more of a static display model. Far from screen used. First off it comes squashed a tad so you need a hair dryer or heat gun to get it back into shape. It is a thick PVC plastic type material. I used a X-Acto knife to cut out the top head section and the 10 small trapezoid shaped breather openings near the mouth. Dremel the company logs from the sides. Paint job is better then Rubie's but not by much. You need to primer and repaint. I would order a DIY raw cast unpainted as i did for my son. Paid only $69 for my son who has a 21 1/2" circumference. Don't even buy the Glow Glass option as you are BLIND when used plus it is made pretty cheap and with cloudy lens. Wearing this with my prescription glasses poses a problem as the weight of the helmet lens towards the bridge of my nose. Will need to tinker with the padding configuration some more or just use sparingly. Good foundation to mod. I would still recommend this.

I taped some EVA floormat into the forehead of mine. This pushed the mask off my face enough to be bearable.

Perhaps this would work on your model.

If I may chime in here a second.

That looks like the large version of the helmet I bought (am I allowed to say the brand name?), it is about 2.5" between the eye holes (not between the center of the holes) and was too wide for me. My pupils are 2.5" apart so I couldn't see anything when I mocked up the dimensions with paper because half my eye was covered.

I ended up with the normal size model, which is about 1.5" between the eye holes. It has various problems and I am thinking of starting a topic about it if allowed and if I can figure out how to get pictures onto the internet.

Is there interest in a topic like that?

In any case, assuming it is the same brand and I'm nearly 100% sure it is, I would not recommend the normal size at this moment for many reasons. I cannot speak to the larger size except to say check your eye distance. It's 2.5" between the eye holes as stated by the seller. I don't know if I'm allowed to name the site I bought it on so I will refrain from doing so until clarified.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yep, this is the larger version. The other version i bought scratched the heck out of my neck so bigger is better plus the back section was missing a chunk on one side, cut in half vertically and it's connected with some cheap stretchy type strap. The space between the eyes is 2 1/2" too. I bought this bigger size to accommodate my eye glasses. X-Coser. My main person of contact was Sharon who went out of her way to get the version i wanted.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back