Dancing Baby Groot Sculpture

Kohrsfilms

Ever since I saw Guardians of the Galaxy last friday my creative side has been firing on all cylinders. Today I got my hands on some floral wire and sculpy clay and made myself a Baby Groot! I think start to finish the project took me about 10 hours. Usually projects like this last several days for me, so I feel really accomplished that I sculpted, baked, and painted this little guy all in one day. The pot he is in is temporary. I'm gonna try to find one that looks a bit more like the one in the movie. I hope you guys like him!

BabyGrootSculpt.jpgBabyGroot.jpgBabyGrootback.jpg

Nicely done! Baby Groot was one of the highlights of Guardians. I've been reading a lot of sites reporting that people are dying to buy
but Marvel didn't anticipate the demand. The funny thing is, as a CGI character that data could easily be 3D printed for prototyping a
toy. It's cool to see that an artist with a lot of passion and a bit of Sculpey kicked one out in 10 hours.

Sorry for the double post. I cast my first Groot out of the mold tonight. It came out moderately well. There are some defects that I'm not sure what to do about. In particular the small branches that come out the top of his head and some of the fingers didn't fill all the way. There were air bubles trapped in the very tips. I'm using a casting resin called EasyFlo 60 and it only has a pot life of about 2-2.5 min. So my working time before the resin starts to kick is not very long. Is there anything I can do to help fill those small spaces in the mold?
There is a pretty nasty air bubble that formed underneath one of the arms but I should be able to cut a vent hole to keep that from happening again. All the other stuff I should be able to fix pretty easily. But does anyone have advice on what to do about the top of the head and the fingers?

08122014083.jpg 08122014085.jpg 08122014087.jpg 08122014088.jpg 08122014089.jpg 08122014090.jpg 08122014091.jpg

Last edited:
Heres my groot sculpted out of clay and painted with acrylic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back