My clear coat frosted. can I repair? Please..

Sean

Sr Member
Yep. it's Sean again. back with another stupid paint question.I have been have a time to say the least with one of my most favorite prop's. I just can't seem to get a step ahead without screwing something up. so here goes.got the decal's on as best I could on one side figured I would lock them down with some clear flat coat. started out well. but I made a second pass a little wile later. and It went down hill.forgot to tape my barrel off also. silver gone on that as well. that I can fix.

This frost look tho I have no clue. and I don't think I can get decals for this any more. so guy's please If you would. Is there any thing I can do to save my decals?

any and all help very welcomed and very much appreciated. seems me and paint will always be mortal enemy's..

IMG_0702.JPG

Last edited:
I've always had luck with buying a fresh batch of clear and respraying the project. The new coat emulsifys the old and takes the fog out. Just make sure you are thorough with the layer you spray.

But then, that's my solution. Your experience may vary.

Thank you very very much swichblade_slinger. I did not have a new can of clear to try with. but I did have another can of clear. just ducked out the door a bit to hit It again. and philly It was kind of windy this morning. i'm reading also humidity plays a big factor. but I think I got my gun back.

very much thanks...

Sean.

i've seen this plenty of times while painting jason masks during the summer. going from 72 degrees inside to 90 outside with 100% humidity wrecks paint lol.

what i've always done to fix it was either use the stove top or a hair dryer and heat up the clear coat on the prop. while it's still warm i take it back outside quickly and clear it again. that usually always fixes it for me. you don't want to make the foggy clear soft. you just want to heat it so it's warm.

thank you auzorann. I will remember that tip as well If ever needed again

Deepest appreciation to all.

i've seen this plenty of times while painting jason masks during the summer. going from 72 degrees inside to 90 outside with 100% humidity wrecks paint lol.

what i've always done to fix it was either use the stove top or a hair dryer and heat up the clear coat on the prop. while it's still warm i take it back outside quickly and clear it again. that usually always fixes it for me. you don't want to make the foggy clear soft. you just want to heat it so it's warm.

I have used this technique as well and it worked fine for me. Living in Georgia you have to get used to the heat and humidity.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back