Mansion Gargoyle Build-Out

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I promised a few guys I'd put up a quick build-out thread for this beast. Better late than never!

Starting with the raw kit: There's nothing really difficult about this build at all. It's just a matter of how sturdy you want it to be. I chose to pin all of the parts except the ears. They're keyed so deeply it's just not necessary.

attachment.php

First thing I decided to do was make this thing bullet proof. I seated the ears with JB Quick. Seams to be filled in later.

attachment.php

I pinned the jaw and attached with JB Quick. Again, we'll take care of the seams later.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Moving on to the feet and arms:

attachment.php

NOTE: Regarding the arms. I consider this the most important part of the build since they have to support the weight of the candles. Although minimal, you don't want any sagging over the years so pin those buggers! I ran a rod straight through the body from one arm to the next and seated it with JB Quick. Now that all your parts are attached you need to go back in and fill in the seams.

Use whatever filler you like or you're most comfortable working with. I happened to have a couple tubes of Quick Steel on hand so I just used it. Like I said, I wanted this thing practically welded together so I went a little overboard...quick steel is malleable like putty until it sets up.

Now, you do a little body work/clean up and hit it with a coat of primer.

attachment.php

At this point you pick your final finish and have at it. The attraction pieces are finished with a heavy patina over bronze finish...they're very green!

After a quick junk coat of aged bronze:

attachment.php

Aging it down a little more, adding some darker highlights:

attachment.php

More later. I'm having to dig for the damned pics! :p

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this up! The pins are a good idea, I'll definitely be doing that as well when I get around to finishing mine. Have you figured out the candles? I've been going through various ideas for them but haven't decided on anything yet. Did you run any wiring through the arms for them or are you just going to go with something battery operated?

Looking forward to seeing this. I haven't started mine yet...looks like I have some down time on my current project, maybe I'll start this week.
Thanks for this Rylo!

I hope to tackle this myself over Xmas... we'll see. Make sure you provide the info for whatever candles you source. I look forward to the finishing of it all.

No problemo,

Spirit Halloween has some great battery operated LED candles. I have one from another project; just need to pick up another. They work very well and last forever on a set of batteries.

Get the tall ones!

01107614.interactive.a.jpg

NOTE: If you want to go for the crazy tall candle look, you can also cannibalize these for the project.

Thanks for putting this up! The pins are a good idea, I'll definitely be doing that as well when I get around to finishing mine. Have you figured out the candles? I've been going through various ideas for them but haven't decided on anything yet. Did you run any wiring through the arms for them or are you just going to go with something battery operated?

Nice, I may see about cannibalizing those for mine, as I'd prefer to hardwire everything and not rely on batteries. So far I've been planning to work something out with PVC pipe but those may work out fine instead. For the flickering I'll probably go with something like a SimFlame controller from http://simflame.com/. I thought about trying to build my own controller but it doesn't make much sense for me to do so if there's relatively inexpensive options already available that are better than anything I could cobble together.

Yeah, there are a ton of different ways to go for the candles. I briefly considered making mine motion activated just for fun.

I used the same finish as discussed in the mansion plaque weathering video for the final patina on this guy.

attachment.php

Paints used:

Rustoleum auto primer
Rustoleum (American Accents) Aged bronze
Americana Colonial green and Teal for the patina/wash

Last edited:
Looks awesome Rylo. I love the paint job. that was all done with rattle can? sorry glossed over the wash part.

One more thing. I get a lot of questions about patinas. I prefer the spray method because it allows everything to dry in layers and you end up with a really natural, organic looking patina. If you take a look at real patinas on statues, plaques, whatever, they run, fade, drip and puddle where gravity takes it. I like that on this kind of piece. Just remember to spray it how it will be displayed...you don't want your weathering job to be upside down or running sideways in a pattern that wouldn't occur naturally. For example. I hit the caretaker sign while it was standing straight up, exactly how it would be displayed if on a door, wall, etc. If I'd hit it while it was laying on it's back the patina would've dried flat without layering in the bottom like it would out in the elements.

I know this is day 1 stuff for a lot of guys, but I'm trying to simplify for the new bucks or people who are a little intimidated to otherwise try.

If you look at the attraction props it's clearly what the artists were going for. Granted, some do better jobs than other at the parks.

The lighting on the gargoyle pic is a little dark but I hit this piece with the exact same wash. It shows the actual color off a little better. :thumbsup

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am really appreciative when anyone give's paint and weathering tips. because I'm still In the learning stages of that aspect of thing's.

Thanks Rylo.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Did you guys build your own kits from scratch or buy them from Rylo or someone else?

Received as part of a hobbyist-to-hobbyist deal. Long gone now, sadly.
Thanks. I see Rylo has one listed still, so I sent him a PM as a REALLY want one! Are these cast from an actual piece or were they a replica build? I hope Rylo gets back to me so I can get mine built!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back