Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

Matty Matt I did the same thing. I just got my chrome one yesterday. It really makes all the difference. While I appreciate the weathered one that Roman polished for me to be shiny, the real deal is chrome as as you stated, never looks really weathered. Those chrome sink knobs were chromed to resist dirt. They don't ever look too beat up.

Zombie Killer, if you go to Roman's site, it shows the 4 piece. I thought that was what we were getting and again, I am grateful to what came on the saber, but I had to go for the extra bit of accuracy so I ordered the 4 piece chrome and am glad I did. I'll post up some pics soon.

Out of stock of coarse. I do feel there was a bit of a bait and switch. Even the pic he showed in the interest thread had a nice shiny pommel. Hell he doesn't even have a 3 piece pommel on his website for sale. Who the heck would want one right? lol

Hey ZK, I got mine in ebay...not cheap of course, but the saber was too close in accuracy not to go the whole way. Now the kind Roman has listed on ebay is the 3 piece. I didn't now he still made both, but he changed it to the 4 piece and it's a dramatic change IMO. It was worth it in the end. You might want to ask him as the kind on his site listed as out of stock is exactly what I received yesterday.

For now I am not spending anymore on it. I thought for $400 I was set. I really didn't want to have to spend another $150 to make it accurate, and especially fork out another $75 to the guy who should have provided it to begin with . Sorry Roman but it is a bit lame you make the 4 piece but gave us all 3 piece.

For now I am not spending anymore on it. I thought for $400 I was set. I really didn't want to have to spend another $150 to make it accurate, and especially fork out another $75 to the guy who should have provided it to begin with . Sorry Roman but it is a bit lame you make the 4 piece but gave us all 3 piece.

Glen,

I haven't made 4-piece sink knobs since last year.

The ones one eBay are 3-pieces. The ones with kits are 3-piece.

The 3-piece is accurate. It looks exactly the same as a 4-piece when assembled.

I have old-stock caps that can use the extra plug (making it a 4-piece), and when asked about them I did dig through my inventory and sold them to those asking if I had any left. But I'm not actively selling them. Anywhere. And like I said, I haven't made a new run of 4-piece knobs since last year. The sink knobs that I made a couple month ago were all 3-piece. Everything is accurate. Just the plug doesn't come off...it's machined into the cap.

Sorry that you're so upset. There was no bait and switch as I'm not making the 4-piece this year. I've got 6 old caps total at the chrome shop right now. Once those are gone, I'm out. With no plans on the 4-piece this year. Again, my apologies. I wish you would have just PM'ed me to ask what was up.

***EDIT***

If you look at the kit pictures on my site, you'll see the Weathered & Chrome Oxide have the 3-piece pictured.
The plain kit has a 4-piece picture, and hadn't even noticed since those rarely sell. I'll have to update that picture.

Last edited:
I am not as upset as my post makes it sound. If you don't make the 4 piece anymore than that is all the explanation that is needed. I was under the assumption that you made them since a few here have gotten them and the 4 piece is the only one shown on your website for sale. If you want, let me know when you get the 4 piece back from the chrome shop and 'll see if I can swing it. Or if I have pee'd you off then not I guess....lol.

I'm not as up on this as many here but, is the difference that great? Can anyone post pics of these next to each other for comparison? I'd possibly be up for a chromed version. Still looking for a vintage clamp with weathering if anyone has one they're looking to sell.

I'm not as up on this as many here but, is the difference that great? Can anyone post pics of these next to each other for comparison?

If they are assembled, there is NO difference. They look exactly the same as seen below... one being a 3-piece and the other a 4-piece.

34piece1

Here's the 4-piece & 3-piece.
The only difference is the 4-piece has a plug that can be removed from the cap, BUT once the plug is installed it would look exactly like the 3-piece.

SinkKnob1

3piece1

And here's the top pic with the cap removed:

34piece2

Last edited:
I'm happy to say I am done with the tweeking. Did the ammonia trick and polished the handwheel with Mothers aluminum wheel polish and she is looking awesome!!!

Hey ZK,I have one of these on the way. I was wondering, did you use a Dremel polishing head with the Mothers, or was it all done by hand? Also, did the polishing alone remove the weathering, or was that another step?

Thanks for the info.

If they are assembled, there is NO difference. They look exactly the same.

Here's the 4-piece & 3-piece.
The only difference is the 4-piece has a plug that can be removed from the cap, BUT once the plug is installed it would look exactly like the 3-piece.

http://www.romanprops.com/SinkKnob1

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Obi-Wan-Keno...GrHqVHJF!FG4TPdjgCBRuYzU5LEw~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Thanks Roman. I appreciate the pics.

I'm guessing the desire for a 4 piece for some is that it's more authentic? I like the idea of more polish to it and may buff mine out but number of parts is not an issue for me. I'm uber happy with mine.

Last edited:
Hey ZK,I have one of these on the way. I was wondering, did you use a Dremel polishing head with the Mothers, or was it all done by hand? Also, did the polishing alone remove the weathering, or was that another step?

Thanks for the info.

I sprayed it with aircraft paint remover first and let it sit to soften it up but I don't think I really needed to. Then I used some real fine steel wool to clean it up. For the polishing I only used a microfiber cloth and mothers and did it by hand. It really did not take any time at all. Maybe 10 minutes to do it all.

I thought I'd do a little before and after to show to show the customization I've been doing. Top pic is straight out of the box from Roman. It was beautiful, but I wanted to put my own spin on it. You can see I've replaced the handwheel and the clamp, and weathered and darkened most of the other parts. I was going for more of the Tunisia look and I think the darker brass came out really cool. As always, I feel this will be a never ending work in progress.

I thought I'd do a little before and after to show to show the customization I've been doing. Top pic is straight out of the box from Roman. It was beautiful, but I wanted to put my own spin on it. You can see I've replaced the handwheel and the clamp, and weathered and darkened most of the other parts. I was going for more of the Tunisia look and I think the darker brass came out really cool. As always, I feel this will be a never ending work in progress.

If going for the Tunisia look, I'd advise flipping the cubes on the handwheel around so they're in the original orientation.

Did you put powder between the cuts in the grenade or use scotch brite? Or something else completely? Either way, it looks geat! Nice job! :cheers

It looks awesome! You did a great job. I will update mine soon. My vintage rusty Graflex clamp is out for delivery to my home right now. The chrome on the handwheel really is important to the look too. Your choices were right on the money!!!! Great job!

Just after I posted that, my clamp arrived, all rusty :) I'm glad I came home for a late lunch.
Here is my saber. Roman did an amazing job...can't stress that enough, but the ANH obi always begs to be tinkered with.
So far, I darkened the windvane fins, darkened the outside of the balance pipe, added real transistors, added vintage graflex clamp and changed the handwheel as noted previously in the thread. I'm having so much fun with it.
Currently the cap is off the handwheel, but it may go back on.

Attachments

• endcap off.jpg
    endcap off.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 406
  • Obi reworked.jpg
    Obi reworked.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 414
  • Add'l weathering.jpg
    Add'l weathering.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 419

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back