Star-Lord Screen Used Hero Costume Reference Video - Guardians of the Galaxy

Amazing reference images/video! Now that the movie is out, we're gonna be seeing more, and more awesome Star-Lord and GotG stuff.

FANTASTIC!

I've been looking into having a proper replica of Quill's jacket made and have been collecting reference for several weeks as well as talking with various people who know leatherworking. This will go a long way to get the details even more right. (Heh, I was convinced that the pattern-coated material was suede but now I wonder if it isn't cotton- you can see the weave in the reflective print.)

As for the zipper... straight from the costume designer herself: "As for the zip on the front of the jacket, which looks like a double-edged dinosaur tooth, I found that at a textile fair in Paris."

It might possibly be some kind of airtight/watertight zipper.I've found similar looking zippers by searching for that, but no exact match yet. But if someone has gone to the trouble of making tooling for it, it's out there.

Last edited:
And the jacket is definitely leather

The arms and shoulders certainly are, but the parts with the pattern don't seem to be. For a while I thought they might be suede, since the glossy pattern is printed on something more matte (I have a feux-suede shirt with scale print on it that looks almost identical in terms of how it was done), but if you look at Matt's video, you can clearly see fabric weave in there. It looks like cotton twill:

material.jpg

Aaaand the zipper...
zipper.jpg
I swapped the backing color and the parts are silver, not brass... but this might be it.

I'm actually not that surprised about the twill fabric/leather mix in the jacket. GotG had the same costume designer as Avengers Assemble and they did something similar with Nick Fury's long coat- it looks like leather from a distance and on screen but is actually waxed cotton twill. Duplicating the patterned fabric is easy enough- it can even be done at home. The hard part is duplicating the areas where there there is no pattern on the cotton... to leave out the pattern in just the right places will be a challenge. But six months from now, I'm darn well gonna have one of these come hell or high water!

Ok, I'm 99% certain that I have found the correct model zipper. It's of Asian manufacture and I am in contact them at the moment. As with most companies over there, they are only really interested in selling LOTS wholesale so I will see if I can convince them to sell a few of them so that they could be shared or something. My thinking is that it's best if just ONE of us does this because if they start getting bombarded with questions, they are likely to think it's not worth the effort and pull out completely.

MattMunson thank you so much for this video! This is amazing! This is helping so much with my build already (just adding little details in my mind as I watched it). Sweetness!!!

Joatrash - I would definitely be interested in a Zipper if you get some. I am making my first try of the jacket now and will be remaking it in a better material soon, so would love a good zipper to have with it!

Check out my thread. The shoes are Skechers. However, after some recent photos appeared that showed the back of the spats and shoes, it is clear now that the costumer used just the soles of skecher shoes and made custom, black knee-high boots. The boots have anchor points on the back of the calf that the spats hook into rather than being laced or zipped up around the leg.

I posed a short version of this in the comments on the video. The zipper looks real and very specialized. I did some searching and I think it is for a drysuit. This is the 12tz from YKK: View attachment 357972

The thing on his elbow might be a type of dump valve, whatever that might be.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...suit-zipper-repair-w-pics-shoulder-entry.html

It definitely looks like some sort of found-part valve, yes. However, the zipper is not from a wetsuit ( though that was my first thought as well). I am 99.9% sure that I have identified the correct zipper and I am trying to obtain a few to spread around. (As I mentioned... the company seems a tad skittish and really only want to sell 1000's but I'm trying to appeal to them so send out a few .)

Will keep everyone posted as to how it goes.

Ok...ok. I don't want to jinx it but it looks like I can get some zippers (they seem to want me to order 20 minimum but I don't know the final cost yet, so please be patient).

Here's a comparison I came up with that seals the deal as far as it being the correct zipper:
zipper2.jpg

I am also going to start drawing up the screen printing pattern in Photoshop asap. From the looks of it, to get real accurate and capture the "blank spots" where there is no pattern, the front and back panels will each need separate print films. (Maybe the side pieces as well.) I'm also going to model up and 3d print templates for the embossed details and the valve/hose connector thingie.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back