War Machine Helmet - WIP - full suit in foam will follow.

Dirtsen

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
War machine Helmet -WIP- full suit in foam will follow

I have always loved the War Machine from Iron Man 2. It just has this bulky, powerful, massive feel. That being said I always wanted a War Machine helmet as a display piece. I have recently accepted a commission for a relatively big guy. He wanted a full War Machine costume to perform at charity events. I will be documenting the build in this thread. I took this as a reason to print the Helmet for the costume. The rest of the costume will be a foam one.

The credit for the original file goes to Zabana. He made an awesome low poly pepakura version (it was already pretty HD) for everyone to build. He was so kind to let me use his file as a base to create the 3d printable file. I made some minor changes to make it movie accurate. The temple section was one of them. May I introduce...

Introducing… War Machine
warmachine2.jpgwarmachine3.jpgwarmachine4.jpgwarmachine1.jpg

And here is my progress thus far
The beast
image Kopie.jpegimage.jpeg

I had to cut the helmet into sections for printing purposes. I used a relatively low printing resolution to speed up the process. But thanks to my UM2 it still looks killer! Even though I used ABS I had very little issues with warping and build a heat chamber to get rid of it for good. Seam lines and Z-lines won't be visible after post processing. The backplate is still missing but it is being printed in the background. I'll post some close-ups of the prints to show off the UM2 quality. I'm pretty amazed!

Last edited:
Re: War Machine Helmet 3d printed - WIP - full suit in foam will follow.

Can't wait to see your foam build as well, brother! Your foam skills will compliment the printed helmet nicely :thumbsup

did you used bimmer's pep file or did you modelled it yourself ?
good helmet tho !

Hey Omarbou,
as far as I know this is the file from Zabana. I asked him if it was okay to use it and he was okay with it. Am I wrong? I'm going to message Zabana immediately.

Hey Omarbou,
as far as I know this is the file from Zabana. I asked him if it was okay to use it and he was okay with it. Am I wrong? I'm going to message Zabana immediately.
I'm pretty sure it's Zabana's file, but cudo's to you for looking into it. Another stand-up guy. Subscribed...GM

Hi!
Yes, all of you are right. The file was there because I uploaded it but it was a work based on a low poly CG version I got from IM2 website ;)

Last edited:
The backplate is giving me some trouble. I already printed 2 but I think i am going to give it a 3rd try when i get back from my work trip next week end. Until then here is the temporary result of some long print sessions. Seams and imperfections still clearly visible. But they won't be For long.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407000590.964645.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407000604.900505.jpg

Basically its an orientation problem. I need to cut it a different way to avoid support on the outside. The second one would have been good if the printbed wouldnt have been out of level. I am a noob at printing :D

And done with the helmet... At least the printing part...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407674498.104472.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407674517.756322.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407674539.704215.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407674551.054404.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407674599.589159.jpg
The last one is a closeup to show what the ultimaker 2 is capable of at 0.2mm layer height. It is possible to go up to a 0.02mm layer height.

Alright guys, Update time!
2014-08-31 13.25.32.jpg2014-08-31 13.27.23.jpg2014-08-31 13.27.51.jpg

Almost done with this baby. Still fighting some warping issues. The back doesn't fit as perfectly as I would like it to. Going to fix that next.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back