The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: Iron Hills Dwarven Armour and weaponry.

Matt Kaz

So I have just finished my Moria Battle Dwarven Helmet (which I stuck in the wrong thread)
link is here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/moria-battle-dwarven-helmet-iron-hills-dwarven-helmet-219032/

I had some more free time, so wondered why I hadn't seen anyone make a replica of one of the Iron Hills dwarves helmets yet?
4y6q.jpgg7ut.jpg
These are the only 2 photos I have been able to find as reference. I believe there from some of the production blogs, but I can't remember the first time I saw them.

Last edited:
Re: Iron Hills Dwarven Helmet

I started off roughly making as good a shape for the helmet as I can with out having proper measurements to scale from or a whole turnaround.IMG_8948.JPGIMG_8949.JPG
I started off with foam board, and added some foam for the thick trim on top.

IMG_8951.JPGIMG_8952.JPGIMG_8953.JPG
So I added a layer around the whole bottom. And am going to swap out the foam for more styrene so its thinner and more like metal.
Also a photo showing scale with the Moria Battle Helm.

IMG_8955.JPGIMG_8956.JPGIMG_8958.JPG
Re-made the front section in 2mm styrene, and trialled the nose guard, not sure if it's too thin? Might come back to it at a later date.
I'm surprised how quickly it's all coming together, it's only been a few days work so far and I'm rather pleased with the progress.

IMG_8959.JPGIMG_8960.JPG
Eyebrows added, really brings shape to the front, now that it's all blocked in.
I'm thinking I might add a bit of detail and intricate bits on the bottom front sections to break it up a little. It feels a little plain right now.

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: Iron Hills Dwarven Helmet

Awesome progress for such sparse reference!

I've always adored the Dwarvish designs that come out of WETA

With the eyebrows in I felt the nose was a bit too thin, especially in comparison to the other helmet, so I went back and re-modeled it.
IMG_8961.JPGIMG_8962.JPGIMG_8964.JPG
As it is now wider, I was able to put more of an angle on it, so it all glued together better.
I also found some more concept art to use as reference, so am thinking I might incorporate the crest bit on top into the design.

Attachments

• iron hills crest concept.jpg
    iron hills crest concept.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 305

IMG_8966.JPGIMG_8967.JPGIMG_8965.JPG
Made the furry crest bit just to see what it might look like, not sure if it makes the helmet feel too tall?
I also started on the detailing, adding 1mm styrene onto the foam.

Last edited:

IMG_8970.JPGIMG_8971.JPG
First layer of Primer on, and now for the tedium of hundreds hours of sanding and filling :D

That's looking really awesome! I think the crest is cool because it gives it some distinction, like it might be a commander's helmet. I feel like it looks tall because it's on its own; if it was part of a whole suit it would probably blend a bit more.

Cheers mate, I've been watching your Erebor armour thread with awe!

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: Iron Hills Dwarven Armour and weaponry

Given myself a break from sanding the helmet and went any bought myself a new jigsaw and power file, so the first thing I made, was a lovely dwarven sword, and some axes.
IMG_8985.JPGIMG_8986.JPG

For the sword, I wanted to try out a different material so picked up some beech, as it sands to an almost metal like finish, and is lighter than MDF. The blade itself is about 74cm long, so slightly big in comparison to the swords in the film, but it could be a long sword.
IMG_8982.JPGIMG_8981.JPGIMG_8980.JPGIMG_8979.JPGIMG_8976.JPG
I primed it grey before I picked up the power file then sanded the beveled edges.

Last edited:
Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: Iron Hills Dwarven Armour and weaponry

Now axes!
IMG_8977.JPGIMG_8978.JPGIMG_8983.JPGIMG_8984.JPG
These I made out of a sheet of 12mm MDF, I had a sheet lying around so thought I'd make good use of it. Now just to bevel the edges with the power file, and shape the handle. Also the MDF is heavier than the beech, so both axes have a nice weight to them.

Last edited:

you are on a roll! Are you going to offer up any of the helms for sale?

you are on a roll! Are you going to offer up any of the helms for sale?

Awesome idea!!! I would definitely buy one, since I'm trying to get a custom dwarvish character clothing. I just need a helm. I've found Gimli's helm online for about $5-700, but nothing less. If you, Matt Kaz, or Gibbtal, would think about selling one of your helmets for $200-$400, you would get my money instead. But hey, its up to you. You get my money, or some other guy on ebay.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back