Dick smith has passed away rip

yodakiller1138

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Dick Smith passed away last night at 92. RIP to the Master makeup artist. An inspiration to all of us monster kids that grew up in the 60's and 70's.

I was about to post the news. I'm gutted. I have known Dick for about 23 years. He has called me off and on since we met. He has helped me on films from time to time freely offering advice and hand written formulas and techniques. I'm wiping away the tears right now feeling that a part of me is now gone.. Fare well Dick, may God be with you and thank you for your generosity and passion.

Sad news but a good long life. The guy was a genius.

I knew a guy in grammar and high school who's father was a plumber who did work on Smith's house. My friend would tag along on jobs and got to know Smith who would show him all the cool stuff he had in his house like the 360-degree turning head Exorcist dummy.

So many great films but also So, so, so so many people who he has taught.

A legend has passed on but he will never be forgotten

Dick Smith - Rest in Peace

A true pioneer and legend in the make-up community has passed away. Dick, you are the master! Rest in peace.

Re: RIP: Dick Smith

More sad news!

Dick Smith's "Monster Makeup Handbook" inspired me to do some really cool stuff in the years before stores like "Spirit Halloween" sold effects and appliances.

Re: Dick Smith - Rest in Peace

In 06 Dick Smith became my teacher....my mentor and my friend.He took someone with desire but no expirence in sculpting and crafted,molded and shaped the skills I use today. Our coversations oft drifted from sculpting to life. At times I was suprised at his salty language but it was never gratuitous or vulger. His true desire to help,I have found,is rare and genuine for someone who has achieved the status he did.
God Bless Dick Smith...rest easy and no more pain. You will be missed. I will miss you my friend.

Re: Dick Smith - Rest in Peace

I remember when I was 13 watching him teach how to make fangs out of dental wax and peanuts. The stuff of legends!!!!

Someone posted this on AICN... if true (and likely is) it's a great story -
Iron_Squid
8 hours ago A very sad day. Not only was Dick Smith an amazing innovative artist he was one of the most giving and generous people you could ever have the good fortune to know.
In the early 80's I was pursuing a career in make-up. I found Dick's address and wrote him a fan letter with a couple questions. I received a signed photo and a letter from Dick saying if I had any questions, feel free to ask. I wrote back with more questions, and he did answer every time. Eventually he gave me his phone number and I was able to talk to him several times.
In one truly amazing exchange, he told me over the phone, in detail, how to do a lifecast.
Here is the worlds greatest make-up artist taking the time to talk to some kid on the other side of the country. I think it took around about half an hour.
Since I didn't want to bother him to much I hit upon the idea of sending him my questions through the mail with cassette tapes and prepaid return envelopes. I still have several tapes of Dick answering my questions while he is working in his basement studio.
The artistry, innovation and generosity of Dick Smith influenced so many people over the years and will continue to do so as long as films are made. God bless you Dick.

In the seventies I saw a short film of him and I became fascinated with the special make-up in movies. His work will always be remembered.

Wolf

One of my favorite movies, in which Mr. Smith did some of the makeup effects for, is The Hunger. One of my favorite Tony Scott films (and his first film, too).

Oversaw three head casts and three face casts on Sunday previous, was interesting to be able to introduce a few folks to his work; they'd never heard of him or understood how so much of what they were learning was filtered through his teaching and refinement. He'd long not been an active creator, so to speak, but the years he was active... just incredible... for him not to have poured (ha ha!) everything into his work then, that truly would have been a loss for us all.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back