Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

The must fun movie in many years, possibly decades, has a gun-toting racoon and a talking tree, that fly spaceships, as main characters... and a tiny purple stone that can destroy the galaxy.

What holes are there to poke?

It's hard to believe there are some (rare) reviewers who still don't "get it." In my eyes it describes a lack of taste and judgement.

I was listening to one podcast review where they were clearly of a different mindset. A panel of three reviewers on this podcast had problems with GotG.

1. They felt that Peter Quill was unsympathetic just because he was a womanizer. They were particularly offended that he didn't remember Bereet's name at the beginning. To which I would say, "really?" His character is an adolescent in a man's body. He was abducted as a kid and grew up with a family of ravengers. He also has a character arc.
2. They were particularly offended with Drax's "green wh*re" comment. I've heard this complaint once before but I feel it's consistent with his character. I see this as a comment on her form fitting attire - his culture I would guess is quite conservative since they're so literal. The reviewers felt Gamora was singled out ... To which I'd say, "really?" Just before this Drax calls Groot a "dumb tree". Plus Gamora calls him on it immediately.
3. They even hated the music referring to it as "the worst music from the 70's." This comment alone was enough for me to disregard their opinions entirely. The fella betrayed his own ignorance when he referred to "Escape" (aka "The Piña Colada Song") as "Margaritaville."

Oddly enough this was a female comedian podcast (with a token male). All the above came out in the first 10-12 minutes of their review. I didn't need to hear any more than that.

Last edited:
"Escape" (aka "The Piña Colada Song")

I don't really have a problem with this song being in the movie as the film takes itself very light-heartedly and because this song itself is a joke and considered by many as one of the worst songs of all time. So I did get a chuckle when it was played.

Yeah, I'm not going to waste my time trying to dissect this movie, it is what it is and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

BUT if some super PC holy roller was going to do that, the argument could be made that the song should never have been in a "kids movie" to begin with as it blatantly evokes cheating on one's spouse, the sexism of referring to one's woman as their "ol' lady" (most women really do not like that), the consumption of alcohol and casual sex. LOL!

And OMG!! Let's not even get into the lyrics of Cherry Bomb! Let your 13 year old daughter read those lyrics and you will lock her up and never let her leave the house again. Especially knowing that Cherie Currie was 15 years old when she was singing that.

Please note that as I typed all this I kept trying to use the 'sarcasm' font, but that feature seems to be broken on this board LOL

It's hard to believe there are some (rare) reviewers who still don't "get it." In my eyes it describes a lack of taste and judgement.

I was listening to one podcast review where they were clearly of a different mindset. A panel of three reviewers on this podcast had problems with GotG.

1. They felt that Peter Quill was unsympathetic just because he was a womanizer. They were particularly offended that he didn't remember Bereet's name at the beginning. To which I would say, "really?" His character is an adolescent in a man's body. He was abducted as a kid and grew up with a family of ravengers. He also has a character arc.
2. They were particularly offended with Drax's "green wh*re" comment. I've heard this complaint once before but I feel it's consistent with his character. I see this as a comment on her form fitting attire - his culture I would guess is quite conservative since they're so literal. The reviewers felt Gamora was singled out ... To which I'd say, "really?" Just before this Drax calls Groot a "dumb tree". Plus Gamora calls him on it immediately.
3. They even hated the music referring to it as "the worst music from the 70's." This comment alone was enough for me to disregard their opinions entirely. The fella betrayed his own ignorance when he referred to "Escape" (aka "The Piña Colada Song") as "Margaritaville."

Oddly enough this was a female comedian podcast (with a token male). All the above came out in the first 10-12 minutes of their review. I didn't need to hear any more than that.

Honestly if they are griping about those kinds of things, there are a TON more of great movies they could never enjoy.

http://youtu.be/nRB8Jor8tPs

Just saw it for the third time and still love it!

With each viewing I find more holes to poke in it, though. (doesn't stop me from loving it, but here goes anyway):

Drax mentions their having traveled "halfway across the quadrant". A short time later Zamora says they'd traveled "halfway around the galaxy". Which is it? Still later, Rocket wants to travel to "the other end of the universe" to get away from Ronan. Colorful metaphors, I suppose....maybe I'm from Drax's planet. ;)

No one knows the orb contains an infinity stone (except probably Thanos) until the Collector tells our guys. Then, suddenly, the next time we see Ronan and Yondo, both of them know. How did they find out? They read the script? Maaaaybe the Broker knew and told Yondo, but Ronan....

Handy that the Collector has a bunch of visual aids ready to go to tell the story about the stone. ;)

If all Ronan needs to do is let it touch the surface of Xandar, why bother with an assault on their most heavily defended city? Just drop it anywhere on the planet.

Ronan orders his fighters to kamikaze and they all zip straight down. Somehow Rocket and a bunch of Ravagers make it to the surface ahead of most of them. By the time they were able to set up their Space Invaders arrangement, all of the Kree fighters would've already impacted. And what was the point of such an order anyway? So they get to knock down a few buildings before DESTROYING THE PLANET.

(already discussed Zamora shooting up through the floor earlier in thread)

Peter's mom knew her cassette tapes. She even had the second tape cued up past the leader for him. :)

The cassette player on the DVD/BD menu is rotating the wrong way. ;)

Thinking on the Collector having a Powerpoint ready.....
That works great actually for him, clearly he has been dreaming of this item for a loooong time and
working on a presentation would help his obsession. How many of us could present info
like that right now on some grail prop we wanted and bore people (or Raccoons) with details?
or already set up a display area for a future collectible we know we are getting soon?

In fact I'm starting to like this character and his motivations way more than when I first saw the film.

Last edited:
Hopefully Star-Lord has digital back ups. I remember many of my tapes getting eaten, and of course how well will they hold up over time and multiple plays? on a spacecraft no less.

HAH! This one I can tackle. On an auto-reverse cassette deck, the head will reverse and the tape start winding the other direction when it reaches the end of side 'A'. So on the menu, it's playing side 'B'. ;)

That occurred to me, but there doesn't seem to be an A/B selector on the panel. ;)

Watched it for the sixth time. This is one of those uncommon movies that can be appreciated more and differently on each viewing. This time I really noticed more of the nuances in Rocket's "performance." In his "I never asked to be made" speech his lips tremble very slightly which made it more poignant.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the performances and it certainly looked great, but a bore from beginning to end. The characters were dull and often cliched. I wasn't invested in any of them. I was expecting to really enjoy this film, so very disappointing.

Saw it twice this week (two different people I know got it for xmas, so I was stuck). It didn't resonate the way it did in the theaters upon first viewing, but it was still a lot of fun. To be honest, seeing it made me want to go back and rewatch some vintage Troma more than anything. Gunn will never top Tromeo and Juliet :D Actually, that's a lie, his book the Toy Collector is the best thing he's done. THEN Tromeo and Juliet. GotG sure is fun, but give me the anarchic prankster of the Troma days!

I have to say that Nolan's Batman movies get better and better for me, but Marvel flicks, while great fun on first viewing, don't have staying power imo. They lack a certain heft, or texture. They're cotton candy. I only mention that because TDKR was mentioned above, and I'm watching Begins, which I kinda hated in the theater but now think is outstanding filmmaking. I've liked the MCU, but I don't think it'll stand the test of time. The movies are ultimately kind of flimsy. I'll continue to eat up a first viewing, but I don't feel a whole lot of need for a second or third.

I have to say that Nolan's Batman movies get better and better for me, but Marvel flicks, while great fun on first viewing, don't have staying power imo. They lack a certain heft, or texture. They're cotton candy. I only mention that because TDKR was mentioned above, and I'm watching Begins, which I kinda hated in the theater but now think is outstanding filmmaking. I've liked the MCU, but I don't think it'll stand the test of time. The movies are ultimately kind of flimsy. I'll continue to eat up a first viewing, but I don't feel a whole lot of need for a second or third.

See and I feel the opposite. The more I watched Nolan's Batman films the more I feel like they tried too hard to be realistic. I feel like something was lost in translation. Begins was good, but after that...eh. Heath Ledger saved TDK, and Rises was boring to me. At the same time his voice as Batman was extremely annoying and the more I watch them the less I like them. I do however love most of Marvel's movies. Maybe it's because I've loved most of the characters for a long time, but they really draw me in. A lot of the time I really feel for the characters, whereas I felt zero attachment to Bale in any form. They're good movies, but I have no motivation to watch them again.

See and I feel the opposite. The more I watched Nolan's Batman films the more I feel like they tried too hard to be realistic. I feel like something was lost in translation. Begins was good, but after that...eh. Heath Ledger saved TDK,

I think the Nolan Batman films are very different from each other quality-wise. The first one was a good buildup, second is nothing short of a masterpiece of film-making but the third was a bit of a mess with all the extremely drawn-out fistfights.

I've liked the Marvel movies so far, but to me, GotG is better than all of them together. I have no strong compulsion to see either the Nolan Batman movies or the other Marvel movies again but I know I'll be watching GotG so many times that I'll eventually know every frame and beat. I know that most folks don't think it's that good, but for me, so many things just... clicked. It just has so much "heart" in it. (I just watched it again this evening.)

Yeah, GOTG really did it for me as well. It's in the same boat as Indiana Jones and Star Wars. That childlike sense of adventure. I can just watch it over and over again.

And I do mean Raiders and Empire.

Last edited:
Guardians of the Galaxy is good, solid and fun filmaking from a moviemaker that gets the concept of the characters and situations. Nolan never got the concept of the characters or the situation and tried to mold it into his own thing that ultimately failed (yes, Ledger and even Oldman gave same great performances).

For those of you who have read the comics, is there an actual origin story for Rocket? Other than just the little bit we got in the movie?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back