Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

I saw Star Wars 18 times and I was only in the 4th grade. lol

I remember seeing Return of the Jedi in the theater as a kid. The small theater in my home town (less than 1000 people) never did get Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back, but I remember kids talking about them.

I think the reason I've seen Guardians so many times is that watching it gives me the same feelings I got as I did watching Star Wars movies as a kid. I went to a matinee again this weekend and it's still fairly busy for having been out for 10 weeks now (there were about 40-50 people in the audience). There was this family that brought Grandma with them that was sitting in front of me. I was watching Grandma keep asking questions at the beginning, looking clearly confused as to what was going on. By the time the prison break was over, she was literally on the edge of her seat for the rest of the movie, totally sucked into this crazy colorful world. Seeing stuff like that I think is why I keep going. The movie is just such a great combination of action, humor and heartfelt emotion that I keep going back over and over again.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Soundtrack Released on Cassette Tape

Full article:

"As successful as ‘Guardians of the Galaxy‘ was at the box-office (and, as the highest-grossing film of the year, it certainly was that), the film’s iconic soundtrack was equally as successful. “Awesome Mix Vol. 1″ spent two weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and is currently the 10th largest selling album of 2014. You’ve been able to buy the digital album, the CD, vinyl and even a “Deluxe Edition,” but so far, no actual cassette like the mix tape in the film. But, that’s all about to change.

Marvel and Hollywood Records announced that a limited edition ‘The Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 Soundtrack’ will be finally issued on cassette November 17. The cassette will be made available only to independent retailers partnered with Record Store Day (get a list of participating stores here). The cassette, which is the first audio cassette Disney has released since 2003, will only be available until December 31, or until supplies last. (It’s unclear how many copies Disney will print.)

The release of ‘Awesome Mix Vol. 1′ on cassette times nicely with the release of the DVD and Blu-ray on December 9, and, of course, the holiday season.

The cassette will even come with the classic mix tape cover art, with all the song titles written in pen.

15586797925_24a4b5b962_o.jpg

Just as a refresher, here’s the track listing for the soundtrack:

1. Blue Swede – “Hooked on a Feeling”
2. Raspberries – “Go All the Way”
3. Norman Greenbaum – “Spirit in the Sky”
4. David Bowie – “Moonage Daydream”
5. Elvin Bishop – “Fooled Around and Fell in Love”
6. 10cc – “I’m Not in Love”
7. Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back”
8. Redbone – “Come and Get Your Love”
9. The Runaways – “Cherry Bomb”
10. Rupert Holmes – “Escape (the Pina Colada Song)”
11. The Five Stairsteps – “O-O-H Child”
12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell – “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”

Director James Gunn has confirmed he’s already thinking about “Awesome Mix Vol. 2″ which will be included in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2‘ opening on July 27, 2017."

Last edited:
Director James Gunn has confirmed he’s already thinking about “Awesome Mix Vol. 2″ which will be included in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2‘ opening on July 27, 2017."

I wonder if Ain't No Mountain High Enough will be on Awesome Mix Vol 2 as well? It's included in Vol 1, but it's actually on the Vol 2 tape that he plays at the end of the movie.

That technicality has always bugged me. It isn't really part of Vol 1 collection, but it would feel incomplete not to have it on the Vol 1 soundtrack since it was featured in the movie.

And not having it on Vol 2 soundtrack would also feel incomplete, even if they don't feature that song in the second movie. I hope Gunn includes it.

It's possible they include it in Vol 2 as well. They've got Spirit in the Sky on Vol 1 even though it doesn't appear in the movie (it's noted as such on the track list) and only appears in some of the television ads. Guessing maybe it was featured in a scene that was cut. I've read there were a couple other song selections that just didn't make the cut for the film so that's entirely possible.

That technicality has always bugged me. It isn't really part of Vol 1 collection, but it would feel incomplete not to have it on the Vol 1 soundtrack since it was featured in the movie.

And not having it on Vol 2 soundtrack would also feel incomplete, even if they don't feature that song in the second movie. I hope Gunn includes it.
it didn't bother me as much. I realize it had to be included. If I was being a purist I should expect the tape to have a lot more music. I'm sure we didn't just happen to hear every song on that casette throughout the film. I accept the Vol 1 set isn't a "true" duplication of Peter's tape.

It's possible they include it in Vol 2 as well. They've got Spirit in the Sky on Vol 1 even though it doesn't appear in the movie (it's noted as such on the track list) and only appears in some of the television ads. Guessing maybe it was featured in a scene that was cut. I've read there were a couple other song selections that just didn't make the cut for the film so that's entirely possible.
I'm pretty sure I recall hearing the opening riff in an establishing shot somewhere in the film.

I went looking for my walkman at my mums house, but it turned out it wasn't a walkman, just one of those cheap knockoffs.

Probably still works though.

it didn't bother me as much. I realize it had to be included. If I was being a purist I should expect the tape to have a lot more music. I'm sure we didn't just happen to hear every song on that casette throughout the film. I accept the Vol 1 set isn't a "true" duplication of Peter's tape.

I'm pretty sure I recall hearing the opening riff in an establishing shot somewhere in the film.

Spirit in the Sky wasn't in the movie at all. Only the tv spots. I believe Gunn said it's scene was cut. But I always felt it would have been perfect for the entrance to Knowhere rather than Moonage Daydream. I mean I get that song's relevance but all of the songs are SO relevant and Spirit seems perfect. The floating celestial head on space....spirit in the sky....and the reverb-soaked heady overdriven riff, PERFECT as they're cruising through the cavernous skull. Then again I think Gunn has a good idea what he's doing.

Spirit in the Sky wasn't in the movie at all. Only the tv spots. I believe Gunn said it's scene was cut. But I always felt it would have been perfect for the entrance to Knowhere rather than Moonage Daydream. I mean I get that song's relevance but all of the songs are SO relevant and Spirit seems perfect. The floating celestial head on space....spirit in the sky....and the reverb-soaked heady overdriven riff, PERFECT as they're cruising through the cavernous skull. Then again I think Gunn has a good idea what he's doing.
It's probably the TV spots that are sticking with me.

(some day I'm going to explain to my grandchildren where the terms: "television" and "telephone" originated.)

Ha...trailer for the soundtrack cassette release. Awesome :D.

Here is the direct video.

Last edited by a moderator:
With motion sensors someone is bound to replicate that mechanism, similar to the what MR did with the LOTR One ring being lit up when you approach close to it.

I went looking for my walkman at my mums house, but it turned out it wasn't a walkman, just one of those cheap knockoffs.

Probably still works though.

How close of a knockoff? I found the box mine should be in but haven't opened it up.... sadly it is a WM-10(2) so not correct for Starlord.

Has anyone found the mix cassette on the web for pre-order?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back