Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

It seems travel to and from Terra was pretty easy for Yondu and his crew. But then why the need for wormholes and rainbow bridges to get to Earth in other Marvel movies?

Well, we had previously only seen the Asgardians. They were (are) one of the most advanced races out there and they had gone past starships and moved on to near instant teleportation from planet to planet. So yeah, you can fly around for weeks or months to travel to other planets or you can walk to the edge of city and step onto another world. I like Thor's method of travel better! ;)

That's very true. And in the case of the Chitauri/Loki invasion I guess trekking all your forces halfway across the quadrant isn't as efficient as plopping them down en-masse through a wormhole.

Its feels like its been a long time since the bright, dry summer we had in the UK, so its been a good day today to reacquaint myself with my absolute favourite film of the year!!!! (and by no small margin!!!)
I picked up the 1 disc 2D blu-ray today and I am amazed. Amazed by just how astonishingly beautiful this film is to watch. Excluding the brilliant soundtrack, the great characters and dialogue, all the beat perfect moments of comedy and pathos ,the cracking pace of the script and the clever editing I’m simply overwhelmed by the sheer amount of digital artistry that went into completing this.
I’ve lost count of the times I’ve hit the pause button to drink in the visual beauty of not only the galactic backdrops and alien landscapes , but just how incredibly well realized Rocket was, from the tips of his whiskers to the tip of his tail. I also marvelled at how well the integration of the effects have been worked into the fantastic sets they built. Next to “Bladerunner- The Final Cut ” its probably the most perfectly “realized” universe I’ve seen on the screen. I hope all the EFX artists got recognised for the work they did and are proud of what they made, it really is a stunning achievement. The reflections in Rockets/Groots eyes, the metal /window surfaces of the starships, I could go on and on and on, it is just so rich in detailing, vibrant colour and textures that I’m going to end up watching this at least half a dozen times this week!!
I can’t praise it enough. And to everyone who made it ,who took the risks from the very top to the bottom ,I’ve just got to say thanks. Its rare these days that a film can make me feel just how I did when I first saw “Star Wars” but re-watching GOTG today did just that. James Gunn and team looked like they had a blast doing it and that totally translated into what you saw on the screen.Take a bow everyone, you deserve it.
Extras are okay, the best being the directors “Guide to the Galaxy” which was of a decent length. I j wish I could have visited the set they built for “The Kyln” it was magnificent!!!
The exclusive “The Age of Ultron” doesn’t have very much to add any depth (more of a puddle really) to what we‘ve already seen and I wish they had included the trailer for it on the disc, instead of “The Winter Soldier” which I’ve already got.
Now, if only Disney had thought to add a different franchise trailer onto it. Then it would have been a perfect day!

Last edited:
I meant to post this in here:

"CARTS BEFORE HORSES & HOLLYWOOD'S NEW LOVE OF SHARED UNIVERSES

Listen, I love big ass shared universes in movies, as well as huge franchises. But I'm a little worried about the numerous shared universes being planned by the studios, without having a strong base film to grow from - or in some cases, NO base film to grow from. Star Wars had the original Star Wars, the Marvel Universe had the original Iron Man, the Dark Knight series had Batman Begins, even movies like Transformers and Twilight - these were movies audiences loved, and the audiences demanded more from these characters. But these days studios are trying to grow trees without a strong seed. Execs and producers and sometimes even directors are focused on the big picture, without perfecting the task directly in front of them - making a great movie. And studios are trying to grow franchises from non-existent films or middling successes. It's like they aren't taking audiences into account at all anymore.

I know George Lucas, Kevin Feige, John Favreau, etc, had ideas where their films would potentially lead in the face of success. But I don't think it ever got in the way of making that first movie count as if it was the last, of making it something wonderful that people would love whether it led to other films or not.

In short, I think this new business model is flawed. I think filmmakers and studios should be prepared for the big picture, but never, ever let it get in the way of making a single great film. Be a little more experimental and see what works as opposed to trying to force success. And mostly, remember that we as an industry exist to serve the audiences, to communicate with them - they have a voice in what we create as well. We are not here to dictate what they want to see, mostly because that's simply not possible."

- James Gunn - 11/21/14

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that was pointed at the DC Camp? They are taking so many shots in the dark that i'm wondering if that's what he was implying? Marvel seem sto have been very careful thus far in the Disney/Marvel movie universe.

Nope, not WB/DC. It's about all other movie studios trying to jump start their franchises through shared universes from the get go. Universe Monsters is one, but there were few others that were making the news rounds couple of weeks ago, but I don't recollect them.

Just picked up the blu-ray this afternoon. A great movie overall and just as cool and funny as I remember it. The extras were alright though the "exclusive" look at Age of Ultron was a complete let down. I guess I just expected way too much for that, LOL! A great film, so get your copy asap!

I don't know if any of you buy movies on Amazon Instant Video, but they have Guardians of the Galaxy in HD for $9.96 right now. I just bought it, and a few other movies/TV seasons for under $60 :popcorn

Do those include the extras or only the actual movies?

The one I purchased, which was labeled Guardians of the Galaxy (Plus Bonus Features), came with around 39 minutes of extras after the movie ended. I haven't watched through it all yet, but it seemed like it was just a making-of documentary type thing.

So watching this for the 6th or 7th time, and I just love the look on Ronan's face when Peter has the stone, him just laughing, waiting for Peter to die so he can take it back, and then the look of pure shock when the others join in and as a team just take the power, and hold together.

And the the fact that other than "take my hand" the whole scene has no dialogue.

I just read Spencer Perry's review of the blu-ray on SuperHeroHype. He gives it a 10/10!

"It’s the best Marvel Studios Blu-ray, it’s visually flawless. Every crack in Groot’s bark, each line in Drax’s body, and every hair on Rocket’s head stand out with perfection"

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back