Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

Well ,I think more than a few people here helped Guardians break the $300 million mark in the States and $600 million worldwide. Awesomeness is a talking racoon!!!

Turns out that Guardians And the Winter Soldier have pushed the ten Marvel universe films over the SEVEN BILLION mark!!!!!! Thats an awful lot of cinema tickets (not to mention DVDs and pay to views sales to also add on after the BO run is done). That really is a remarkable total to reach and helped ,no doubt, by a hugely consistent run of high quality product. Any wonder that Disnay want to do the same with Star Wars now.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm

Turns out that Guardians And the Winter Soldier have pushed the ten Marvel universe films over the SEVEN BILLION mark!!!!!! Thats an awful lot of cinema tickets (not to mention DVDs and pay to views sales to also add on after the BO run is done). That really is a remarkable total to reach and helped ,no doubt, by a hugely consistent run of high quality product. Any wonder that Disnay want to do the same with Star Wars now.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm

GotG: The "little" move that could. 6th highest opening weekend of all the MCU movies and will most likely end up #3 on the domestic box office total of that group when it's theatrical run is done. I don't think there were too many people that though this bunch of "losers" would be that well received.

GotG: The "little" move that could. 6th highest opening weekend of all the MCU movies and will most likely end up #3 on the domestic box office total of that group when it's theatrical run is done. I don't think there were too many people that though this bunch of "losers" would be that well received.
I was one of those people. I was pretty certain this would be a safe "B-minus" to "B-plus" film. I had no idea it would surprise me with so much wit, heart and joy.

I thought this was a puppet, but it turns out it is a preprogrammed Rocket Raccoon robot!
Robot puppet anyway.

I wonder who is going to be the first person on the forum to make one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd LOVE to see it in IMAX, but I don't know if I could pull off an 8 hour round trip to Denver JUST for a movie. =( December 9th can't come fast enough!

We have many unanswered questions, some due to other MCU offerings clouding things, some just due to things that seem like odd character choices, some that are in the realm of conjecture for upcoming films.

Was that really the Infinity Gauntlet in the armory in Asgard? Could the Gauntlet itself be a powerful artifact in its own right that Thanos wants to mount the Infinity Stones onto in place of (or possessing) the inert gems seen on the Gauntlet?

How involuted do we want to speculate Thanos' plans are? Might he have given the Mind Gem -- an Infinity Stone! -- to Loki knowing Loki's nature would cause him to fail and the sceptre to fall into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s hands, and thus to Hydra, for purposes un-guessed at this point?

The already-asked question of whether the Æther is still in the Collector's keeping.

I'm in the camp that thinks Peter's father is Adam Warlock, and that the Time Gem may be involved in Peter's conception.

In the comics, the Soul Gem is the only one of the six that seems to have something of a mind of its own. I'm wondering if they're going to keep that in translating it to film. I also have a feeling it will play a role in the creation of Vision. Those are already subject to much that is indeterminate, so I'm not going to speculate further.

In the original telling, the Guardians were founded in the 31st century by the 20th-century astronaut Vance Astro, who had been sent out with life-extending tech to keep him alive for the centuries-long trip to Alpha Centauri. Because of story stuff, time travel and dimension-hopping are involved, Vance is an Avenger for a while, all the Guardians (in the future) are honorary Avengers, and he himself ends up with Cap's shield in the future. So... Given one of the two Infinity Stones still unaccounted-for is the Time Gem... *heh*

Giving us Xandar and the Nova Corps has been pretty sweet, but there's a lot of potentially-messy ground to bridge between that and Richard Rider's Nova. I don't know if his origin has been retconned, but originally he was given his uniform and powers by the last survivor of the Corps and spent a lot of his hero-ing time dinking around on and near Earth. Over the continuity of his character over several series, Nebula destroys Xandar, Garthan Saal absorbs too much Nova Force (Power Gem energy?) wanting to restore Xandar and goes insane (including stripping Rich of his Nova Force), Rich becomes Centurion Prime of the Corps (Nova Prime? Or a different rank?), and a whole lot of stuff that can definitely be done in a Nova film (or films), but not sure how much should be in a GOTG film.

Also, given some of the cool cosmic-oriented characters sneaking in in cameo form, I wonder what chance Marvel Studios can secure the rights to maybe let us have Rom show up... ;) Last I checked Mattel was still being unreasonable about that.

--Jonah

For those who have theaters that do this, I also recommend seeing this movie in 4D, it's a lot of fun but don't see it in 4D unless you have seen a regular screening first as the 4D effects can be a bit distracting at times.

If you don't know what 4D is it's simple, take a 3D movie add in moving chairs that also have a vibrate/shaking function, extra lights in the theater, smoke effects, and water sprays that are all synched to the movie. So what happens is whenever there's a big explosion your chair will vibrate and rock like you were there plus some strobe effects will go off, a fan will blow, and smoke will appear in the auditorium; it's the closest thing to be actually being inside the movie as you can get with current technology. My recommendation for anyone who is uncertain about the idea is, if you live near Disneyland and have an annual pass, is to see their GotG 4D preview to get an idea of what it's like. If you don't live near Disneyland and/or don't have an annual pass then you'll just have to decide for yourself if paying the extra cost for the 4D experience is worth it. I personally enjoyed it a lot and thought that it was the perfect movie for the 4D treatment and it really added to my enjoyment of watching the movie for the 2nd time.

4D rumbling seats were done in the 1970's as a process called, Sensurround. I remember watching Midway in 70mm Sensurround as a kid and it was pretty amazing then. I think the deep base horn drivers used a separate track on the film for the effect. I wonder if 4D is any better than those horn speakers.

4D rumbling seats were done in the 1970's as a process called, Sensurround. I remember watching Midway in 70mm Sensurround as a kid and it was pretty amazing then. I think the deep base horn drivers used a separate track on the film for the effect. I wonder if 4D is any better than those horn speakers.

Heh heh. Sensurround, Saw Earthquake and Battlestar Galactica theatrical release back then. Funny how gimmicks sort of come back, 3D is on it's latest incarnation now.

I make my wife laugh when the screen says to put on the glasses.... "Drink your green blood now", if anyone gets' that reference....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063255/

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back